GTX 3080 poor sluggish performance/feel

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by rab3072, Oct 30, 2020.

1. rab3072

rab3072 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 ULTRA
    I recently got my hand on the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra and was pretty damn excited.
    However, I am wondering if some gurus can explain what I'm feeling...

The frames on my game are fine, not too bad, not too overly impressive (Apex there is an improvement, Warzone is actually worse). The feeling I can't shake is on Apex, the camera movement feels 'wrong'. I can't put my finger on it. Not unresponsive per se, but just moving around feels sluggish at times, almost like stuttering or the FPS is low - however, the FPS is fine and I'm not noticing any spikes happening. I contemplated it might be Apex itself, as there used to be chatter about capping the frames under 190, but I capped the frames and it was still present.

My assumption is that I need to upgrade my CPU (the plan is to get the next-gen AMD once it drops and a 570 motherboard - currently got the 2700X and x470 which I know will bottleneck for now). My thinking though, that even without a new mobo and CPU, the graphics card wouldn't feel 'worse' than the 1070ti that I replaced?? I just expected that my frames might not have a huge jump until I upgrade, not that my games feel sluggish in the meantime.

Can anybody shed any light on this? Is it sh*tty drivers and a common thing people are experiencing with these cards? Maybe not getting enough power to the card (850 watts PSU)? Or is it simply just the fact I need to upgrade my CPU & MOBO pronto?

Cheers!

CPU: AMD 2700x
    MOBO: Asus Prime x470-pro

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    did you try capping at something more sensible than "under 190"?

Like at your monitor Refresh Rate or that x2?

190 fps could still too high for 2700x

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I dont think its the cpu. 2700X is like 15% slower than 3700X and if your playing at 1440p difference would be minimal. You should probably ask for some opinions in nvidia forum section. Could be drivers, could be monitor you use (cap the framerate below refresh rate), could be psu.

4. rab3072

rab3072 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 ULTRA
    I have a 240hz monitor so I try to get as high FPS as possible. All settings on low for competitive play and could hit those frames (in certain areas) and beyond. Not had any issues with the 1070ti at that framerate.

My bad, I thought I had put it in that section. Seems I have posted in drivers section by mistake :rolleyes: Not sure if a moderator can move it there? Please :p

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    warzones issue is fixed in the next driver, if a hotfix isn't released.

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    If I can't hit 240 fps consistently and without hammering CPU, I'd try capping at 1/2 of that. But that's just me...

7. rab3072

rab3072 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 ULTRA
    The monitor doesn't really scan or perform well at lower FPS. I'd even go as far as to say that a 144hz monitor is better for games that have 80-120 FPS. This monitor is epic on games that can handle the frames (CSGO, Valorant, Overwatch, and hopefully with the newest tech - other games as well). However, there is a noticeable difference in mouse sensitivity and responsiveness and sluggishness when the FPS is around half of the refresh rate with this monitor... So it is my best interest to keep the frames as high as possible. I don't even bother with GSync because it creates ghosting that my eyes can't ignore and scanning issues when the monitor isn't on its native Hz - high input lag. Plenty of forum posts about these specific monitor problems on the blur buster forums...
    For competitive shooters, I aim for as high as FPS as possible and low settings using this monitor. I have a second 144hz monitor I use for games I want to look 'pretty' e.g. Assassins Creed Valhalla and Cyberpunk when they release.

But anyways, without straying further from the topic...I used to play with 140-190 FPS with my 2700x and 1070ti with 0 problems. I don't see why this isn't the case now.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  8. rab3072

rab3072 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 ULTRA
    Done a 3DMark which seemed to run fine.
    Making me think it might be a driver issue or an Apex issue with these cards?

Attached Files:

9. chainy

chainy Active Member

GPU:
    970gtx
    It's a 4k card, thats whats going on, i actually get more fps on 4k in warzone then op 1080p, and its prolly due to the game itself, as i do hit 200fps 24/7 in bf4 and bf1 using a 240hz monitor and 120hz oled..