Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Grimbarian, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Very true - i find that i like being sneaky more in this game, using a predator bow :p

Nice! What allegiance does it have?

2. TheSissyOfFremont

TheSissyOfFremont Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE

Pros/cons to the gear system - I feel like there's room for a bigger difference in base stats to some of the gear, but the inventory management/loot system is pretty refreshing.

3. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    So, how's the story / characters? I know it's an odd question, but Ubisoft's level of writing can be... odd at times. Sometimes they try to be a bit too "hip" or relatable, and it just feels weird, hearing characters from the distant past talking like "modern day" people.

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I would say it falls within the expectations of the later Ubisoft games so they play up and deliver a video game story with some elements from historical characters and the period the game takes place in but even in the very first game let alone the Ezio trio of games after that they were already making it into more of a fantasy and clearly defined good versus evil although I find the writing falters a bit with characters being very extreme and some of the animation and cutscene work even for more major scenes under-sell the delivery or impact also.

New for this game is the sprinkled in Nordic words and what feels like Nordic people talking English which if this is similar in anyway to Italian or French or Greek over the prior games and languages I might be missing or glossing over it certainly sounds very mixed in how it's delivered though said sound mixing itself could also be part of that.

I'm not too far into the story either and I still need to upgrade my charismatic...viking rap battle skills (That's a thing.) but so far it's been pretty clear and nothing too unexpected for twists and turns.
    (Spoiler maybe in regards to Layla)
    Layla's new appearance was a twist though alright, can't tell if it's going for worn and tired or warrior queen here.

EDIT: Some of the series intentionally ham up some scenes or their deliveries and characters like Crawford not sure what this is going to be aiming for but judging by Odyssey and Origins and many of the games in the series before and prior Ubisoft games I'm leaning towards it being very similar here.

I liked Crawford Starric though he just doesn't care he just wants his bath-towel of cure minor wounds even as everything goes wrong.

EDIT:
    Hmm also I wonder if the large cast of characters means it's going to be a bit uneven about who gets featured and who gets more minor roles, hear Watch_Dogs Legion had issues with that as a recent comparison.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    cerebus23 likes this.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  6. doktor1

doktor1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700 XT
  7. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Well, i'd explain it with the words: true purpose!

Story feels very realistic. Things you do feel like this is exactly how it went down back then. Nothing over the top, but also not boring. Decisions have consequences, raids are deadly chaos and exploring rewards the careful wanderer beyond known paths instead of the rider just zooming by on roads.

It feels so real, i had flashbacks from Game of thrones, Costner's RobinHood and Lord of the Rings. Never seen so many details in a Ubisoft openworld.

8. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Bear? You should have that heavy weapon dual wielding skill at 9 o'clock on the skill tree screen. Then you can use a shield as well.

BTW
    Early players numbers are 200% of Odyssey's! Didn't expect that

https://www.vg247.com/2020/11/12/as...hsuHnBqYIYnAyw7EP8V88TO8sPc7eiGoYZioiA2mtlgeg

9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Though the raiding feels like a early days football match.

[​IMG]

Here's the attacking team and out comes the defenders (Complete with team uniforms even!) everybody else just stays out of range and shouts and the ball is quickly forgotten as it turns into a brawl.
    The way Ubisoft over-designed the loot chests you'd get 10x the supplies from hauling back those and melting them down too.

EDIT: Small settlements having these 100 kilo massive gold containers feels a bit off too just pop em open take a little bit off the top and on to the next one as there's 3 - 4 spread about and some mini-game / pseudo QTE team "effort" in getting them open.

EDIT: Lacking a good image here.

[​IMG]

Good enough, it's gigantic!

Huge tracts of land indeed.
    (Narrowly avoid a Dark Souls reference.)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    jimpsar and DocStr4ngelove like this.
  10. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Ah, then i would have to redo everything... probably will have to anyways xD Quite like the Raven skill tree though...

11. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Guys, found a workaround when pressing F12 (set up for making screenshots for me) would freeze the game. It appears to be a firewall issue. Just add the UbiConnect app as a rule.

Maddness and MarkyG like this.
  12. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    How do you feel about dual wielding 2h weapons? It seems kinda slow to me, but I can't really tell if it's actually better than having one two handed one or even dual wielding just regular axes.

13. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Great, thanks for posting that. I kept wondering what was the cause.

DocStr4ngelove likes this.
  14. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    can anyone confirm the game got textures issue @ ultra settings?! did they forget to include ultra textures or something?

15. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Wouldn't say issue per say, but the games textures has just been mastered for console, so the pc ultra textures are just the console textures. Which is disappointing, i agree.

Passus likes this.

16. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Maybe we get a free update when the nextGen versions release next year. Happened to all older AC versions as well when the Ezio edition released for consoles.
    In case someone missed that:

Ac2, Brotherhood and Revelations have better textures and new lighting & shadows. Plus special resolutions like 21:9.

17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Call me old school but the name of the game contains the word Assassin .

xD

darrenj and TheSissyOfFremont like this.
  18. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Call me a boomer but it's no secret that Ubisoft forces every generic gameplay into as many franchises as they can. They do it up to the point where the franchise loses the original vision imho.

I'd prefer they would introduce new franchises with new storylines and heroes & villians for their new ideas.

Btw I'm still waiting for that pirate game made with the Ac4 BlackFlag engine.

cerebus23 and Dragam1337 like this.
  19. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Agreed !

Black flag... i dont even remember it as an assassin creed game, because it was basically just a pirate game... and awesome at that ! Would have been much better as a separate title, just called "black flag". Same goes for Valhalla.

Passus, KissSh0t and DocStr4ngelove like this.
  20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Loved Odyssey, despite its bloatedness, which I felt would have been a masterpiece if some of the useless fat was trimmed. Am about to get Valhalla, but came across this and now not so sure. Its long but only first 4 mins enough to capture the essence of his argument. Thoughts?