No POST /w new 5600X System

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by DraZor, Nov 12, 2020.

1. DraZor

DraZor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Hey guys,

Just put together a Ryzen 5600x pc, however it does not show anything at all on the monitor.

Everything lights up, fans are going, etc. Made sure power supply cables are in everywhere they should be.

The motherboard is hard-lit in the little CPU (debug) LED - RAM, VGA, BOOT are off.
    Never had this issue before, I would expect at least a POST unless the CPU is completely dead or faulty?

Specs:

Ryzen 5600x
    MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk motherboard
    GTX 690 or RTX 2080 (testing and swapping stuff around to debug, etc)
    Gskill 3600 DDR4
    Corsair RM850x
    Samsung 980 m2 SSD

So because I can't see anything on the monitor at all (no POST, just blank screen), I am trying to flash BIOS to latest version using USB in the back of the motherboard (only option atm).
    Didn't work the first time with the power on so I will try again with the power off - then perhaps the CPU LED on the motherboard will turn off and it will POST?
    I'm gonna try use the gtx690 with a DVI cable as opposed to rtx2080 with DP, could be something as simple as that for a POST/non-blank screen.

Haha IDK.. what do you guys reckon?

Faulty CPU/faulty CPU socket on motherboard, or?

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    The problem is very likely you dont have a bios version that supports the new cpus.
    You are doing the right thing trying to flash the latest.
    If you can borrow an older cpu to do it, your life will be easier.

3. DraZor

DraZor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    You are on the right track I would say - just tested the gtx690 with DVI cable - same result with a different monitor, just blank, nothing at all.
    Omg haha if only I had an older cpu, hmm.
    I guess I will keep trying various flashing methods with this board.

4. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    that board doesnt support flashback? if it does you can flash the latest bios without cpu in it.

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
  6. DraZor

DraZor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Thx guys.

I followed all the steps from the manual and a youtube vid, but all that happens is a white light flashes maybe 3 times then the USB stick powers down/lights turn off.

From the video I was watching above ^ the whole process took around 2-5 minutes for that guy (continuous flashing lights and all), but all that happens for me is a few flashes then it stops, doesn't take more than 3-5 seconds. I've tried waiting much longer to see if lights start flashing again, but nothing.

Maybe the board doesn't like my USB stick.
    It is formatted to FAT32 with the correct ROM, which is what the instructions say to do, etc.

7. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    Dude short the Jbat1 on the motherboard either by plugging in reset cable from case and hit reset button or use screwdriver to touch the two Jbat1 pins. Jbat1 is above the 4 fan connections.
    make sure only one monitor is plugged or check both for F1/F2 screen for BIOS.

AS long as you did Flashback correct you will be fine.

8. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    If you haven't done so make sure to name the BIOS correctly before flashback.
    When using flashback on my board .. the BIOS needs to be renamed from ROG-CROSSHAIR-VII-HERO-ASUS-3103.CAP to C7H.CAP to work.
    Have you tried clearing CMOS ?

9. DraZor

DraZor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Yep I will try shorting JBAT1 later on today - it is only the power supply that needs to be switched to on versus the whole rig being powered up though to short JBAT1 right?

Yep I named the BIOS file correctly also, might try removing the battery if shorting doesn't resolve the issue.

Seems there's quite a few other people having the same issue going to x570 with the 5000 series.

Thx guys.

10. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Plz keep us updated

11. DraZor

DraZor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Ok so I have tried touching the JABT1 pins with a screwdriver with the system off, power unplugged, etc, then re-attempting the flash with the USB but got same result, just 3 white flashes after pressing the flash BIOS button then nothing.

Then tried turning power supply to ON (PC off), putting reset cable over JBAT pins then presses reset cable on case (with PC OFF), then retrying USB flash but just 3 white flashes again with nothing else.

Maybe it is the USB stick, I'll have to try a different one, other than that maybe I'll try removing the motherboard battery or using a jumper cap (which I don't know if I have yet, hence screwdriver etc).

12. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    you night need to rename the file to something else

13. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I got a new intel board recently and had to flash it with a usb stick after i updated it with a crap online bios update program after which i got no signal out to monitor, took a while to figure how to do it right, as others have said the bios needs to be named correctly.

14. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Since it has been stated that the file was renamed correctly, then the issue is going to be the actual USB stick. The CrossHair VI I used only worked with three out the 10 sticks I have lying around. What the sticks that worked had in common were that they were all old USB 2.0 sticks. Smallest was 256MB and the largest was 1GB. None of the USB 3.0 sticks worked even though they are backwards compatible.

HandR likes this.
  15. devastator

devastator Master Guru

GPU:
    rx7900xt sapphire
    i got a ryzen 5 5600k and a msi x570 apro motherboard and amd AMD AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.1.0.0 so no probs on mine

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the usb support module built into the flashback rom is ehci only, it won't work with usb 3 storage devices.

HandR and DraZor like this.
  17. DraZor

DraZor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    That could explain things, I am using a Cruzer Glide 3.0 32GB, I will hunt down a 2.0 stick I guess.

UPDATE:
    Tried a different usb stick with the same file and naming, only with BIOS file copied, formatted to FAT32, etc.

It worked!
    Thank you sir Astyanax, you will save many people hours of time I am guessing.

Well, the motherboard turned on very shortly after hitting the flash BIOS button on back, and then the LED was flashing for at least 3-5 minutes, then it stopped/no activity, so I left it for a minute or two (motherboard still on), came back and powered it down (turned power supply to off).

Not sure if that stick was a 2.0 USB or not, it doesn't say, but it worked, lol..

Gonna reconnect a few things and see if this beast will actually POST.

UPDATE 2:
    POST ACHIEVED

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020