Guru3D Content Review: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - Ryzen 9 5900X and 5950X processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Indeed. There is a bigger impact with zen3 but it is in the same direction as in zen2. What worked for zen2, works for zen3.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  3. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    [QUOTE="Undying, post: 5852933, member: 198862"[/QUOTE]

Again , 3600 CL 16 , tight timings single rank . All round best option.

Fox2232 likes this.
  4. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    I am not talking about stability, I am talking about performance. AMD is on record stating that the next BIOS update might improve memory clock potential, I want to see that tested.

If I am going to do a new build, I want to do it right. I want to see the refreshed motherboards and DDR4 in action. I am extremely interested to see the voodoo AMD has cooked up for RX 6000 + Ryzen 5000 + X570 combination. I am also interested in seeing if the next build of Windows will have anything under the hood designed to take advantage of any of this new technology.

I am also waiting to see if we have any compelling new SSDs over the next few months. At the heart of my current build is 4 905P Optane SSDs in RAID 0. The 4K random and sequential are both so good that it would take something truly special to replace this part. I will likely be moving this over to my new build at this point but it would be really cool to see something that is actually better. IPC and clock speed actually matters a lot for Optane RAID performance so I might get more performance simply by moving to Ryzen 5000, I wan to see this tested as well.

Its early and my current stuff isn't old enough for me to be rushing.

tunejunky likes this.

5. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    I commented on what you wrote here.
    Referenced permalink:
    If I may add, Zen 2 is competitive because it can output current and upcoming computing needs within timing constraints that are well beyond the requirements or norms and pricing. AMD is simply extending its technological reach by releasing Zen 3. Zen 3's increase does not negate Zen 2's and vice versa.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Its not if you take amount of ram into consideration. I want 32gb becouse some of the games i play use more than 16gb. Dual rank 2x16gb dual rank 3200/3600 is the best option.

ZXRaziel and Fox2232 like this.
  7. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Is not 4x8 single the same as 2x16 dual?

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Yes it is the same.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Fair enough, though, I didn't say I was bitter, I just said it's a good reason to be bitter. I can see why you'd think otherwise though. If there's anything I'm bitter about, it's scalpers and miners.
    Zen2 is competitive in the same way Intel's 10th gen is - it's great performance for the price. And yes, it currently offers enough performance for modern needs (as does the 2000 series) but the 5000 series is no ordinary performance leap. I don't make upgrades often, and the 5000 series seems like a pretty good series to "settle down" for a while. I would have to get a 3900X to feel like I have sufficient compute power for the foreseeable future, and that's even more expensive than the 5800X (which I also find too expensive for my taste).

Kevin Mauro likes this.
  10. sdm99

sdm99 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 460 768mb
    In the review it states "Albeit we would like to steer you towards an 8-core processor, we surely also understand that not everybody has got the budget for that."

Do you mean 3700X / 3800X / 10700 or just 8 core 5000 series chips like the 5800X?

11. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    Oh yeah - totally agree!
    You know I was wondering about maybe getting a 6 core 5000 series because of this too

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I don't think the 5600X is going to last long. Assuming you don't regularly do any heavily multi-threaded tasks, it's quite possibly the best all-around CPU today (price, performance, and wattage considered) but I have a strong feeling it could struggle to keep up in a couple of years. As I say over and over again - games tend to revolve around console capabilities. That's why I'd rather get the 5800X, because I'm pretty confident (though not 100% confident) it'll be enough for gaming needs for nearly a decade. But, I'd rather wait for the 5700(X) since that will cost less and probably actually be available to buy by the time it's released.

Kevin Mauro likes this.
  13. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    I've been having 4 sticks (8x4) since December last year, and I won't turn back for anything in the world.

Not about the rank debate, but simply having 32 gig makes so many things possible which would otherwise be ... difficult:
    - Using RAM cache for the storage (ASUS RamCache III), absolutely insane I/O speed, anything that I launch the 2nd time loads near instantly (unless bottlenecked by other aspects)
    - I can launch my two VMs simultaneously during work without worrying about running out of memory
    - I can work in Photoshop with huge images (over 8000 pixels on each side) with multiple layers, without triggering swap to disk
    - All the games I play perform normally without any stuttering (assuming the GPU is up to the task)

16 is enough for pure gaming machine, but if doing anything professional on the same machine it starts to be limiting.

14. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    5600X is much more than consoles have and will last for another 2 generations of gpus, there is much unused power in it right now , check 320p benchmarks ( for academic reasons :) )

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    The consoles will have 8c/16t. They're at a lower clock and it's more than likely 2c/4t will be reserved for background processes, but remember too that console games are a lot more optimized. You need the extra clock speed to make up for the lack of optimization, and you need the extra cores for your own background processes. If you can really strip down your OS then maybe a 5600X will last for more years, but I guess that's up to you if saving $100-$200 is worth the risk. It very well could be.

16. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Things maybe bit different this round , the new xbox is not much different from PC , there never been more similarity than now.

Also, intel preparing for relase of new ROCKET(coffin) Lake cpus , highest TDP in the history of company needs SPECIAL cooling :

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    On paper (signaling). But almost all MBs have 2 preferred slots for RAM. And you can clock them higher in those 2 slots.
    That means clocking all 4 sticks is limited by weakest slot.

@kapu : That's really nice cooling. Sadly, even if that cooling had 100% energy efficiency, it would double CPU's power draw without factoring in pump and fans.

So, using such cooling to achieve 10% OC, one basically gets 2.5x+ power draw than CPU would have without such OC.
    (At least it is not huge chiller while it does good job.)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  18. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    4 connectors vs 2 connectors .

Goiur likes this.
  19. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    The first DDR5 might even be slower than DDR4 if you take latency into account. So you are looking at the second or third iterations of DDR5 when the frequency increases enough to overcome the extra latency. This is what occurred with DDR2, DDR3 and DDR4. I personally don't get excided about new memory technology as it doesn't tend to matter that much if its just an iteration of the same technology. Now if we were talking about moving to a new technology entirely like say HBM3 well then yeah I would be very excited. To anyone waiting on DDR5 don't, just buy the performance you need when you need it.

tunejunky likes this.
  20. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    What's all this talk about B-die memory?

Do i still want it if i don't plan on overclocking?