GeForce RTX 3050 would get 2304 stream processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Strange Times

Strange Times Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6600 XT
    cool but what about rtx without power connectors

3. Ero Ruz

Ero Ruz Member

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    Honestly, with this much SPs it needs to have at least 6GB VRAM to make sense. Other than that, with as much SPs as the RTX 2070, it should be a very good little GPU.

schmidtbag likes this.
  4. sozuoka

sozuoka Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070 laptop 8GB
    Agree, with the right pricing this could be the best selling nVidia GPU (provided that there's enough supply).

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It is Ampere. Their SP to actual gaming performance is different than Turing. 2304 Ampere's SPs would be somewhere around 1536 Turing SPs. (And that would be around 1660Ti => Unsuitable for 1440p gaming.)

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  6. Sentenced

Sentenced Member

GPU:
    GTX 1650
    What a bummer :(. 1650 is so great because it can be installed to systems with no extra power connectors. I hope there will be a low power version from 3rd party companies. 90 is very close to 75...

Strange Times likes this.
  7. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    whats the problem with extra connector ? even super small builds have extra connector.

4gb is BIG no no for 1080p , sadly this is the reality . Once next gen games start poping forget high/ultra at 1080p with 4gb ,not a chance . You can already eat 5gb with current gen .

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Great card for raytracing.

9. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    Can be a great card if the price and availability are right. That said, so are all 3000 series on their price ranges. Seems Nvidia could have hit a home run if only more people could get their hands on their GPUs.

10. Sentenced

Sentenced Member

GPU:
    GTX 1650
    Most no Alienware Dells don't have one.

11. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    They dont have ANY type of free power ( even sata) ?

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Other way to look at it is that game does not need to use maximum fidelity textures on 1080p.
    Sure, you are not getting highest available LOD when you press viewport directly to the wall, But that's definitely not game changing/experience altering.

We have all seen poorly working and looking games eating lots of VRAM and good looking, well running games eating little.
    If someone wants good graphics and reasonable gaming engines, that someone should not buy poorly done games.

Bethesda got away with abominations for many years because their game stories were quite OK. But then they failed with Fallouts so badly on every front, that they turned into memes.

With market so big, people should be more: "This is not up to my standard, not buying at this price."

And while 4GB may fall exactly to category of statement above too. It remains to be seen which games will be affected. And what will be street price.
    I expect this card to perform around 1660Ti (clock-to-clock) + having Ampere's DX-R capabilities. If it comes quite cheaper in comparison to 1660Ti, it may be rather interesting entry level gaming card.

And when that game comes and this card stutters. I want to see 1080p screenshot comparison of image quality at which it stutters, and image where it runs just fine.

Aura89 and schmidtbag like this.
  13. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    A card with hardware features you'll never use because it can't spit out enough fps in the first place. Paying for overpriced hardware and silicon space, yay!
    I'm glad AMD is entering the RT competition without dedicated hardware. Even if the performance takes a penalty to begin with, the general price/performance will be unmatched.

icedman and gmavignier like this.
  14. Sentenced

Sentenced Member

GPU:
    GTX 1650
    I see that my motherboard has two power connectors (they look like 6 pin connectors) that write SATA1_PWR (that is already used to feed the HDD and the DVD drive) and SATA2_PWR that is unused with no cable (probably for an extra SSD). Perhaps I could use this one for a few extra Watts if the graphics card is ~90W?

15. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    you can buy SATA to PCIE power connector adapter and use it .

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Express-Video-Cable-Adapter/dp/B007Y8FSMQ

16. Legacy-ZA

Legacy-ZA Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070Ti TUF
    Coming in at a mere $1000 from a scalper near you. >.>

sykozis and jbscotchman like this.
  17. Sentenced

Sentenced Member

GPU:
    GTX 1650
  18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I would be inclined against usage of SATA power from MB to feed Graphics card. Graphics with 6pin will likely try to pull 60~75W via 6pin and rest via PCIe. If lucky, it will do some balancing.
    But even 50W from SATA power on MB can be too much and affect SATA operation. (Or burn some MB traces slowly over time.)

If possible, I would use spare cables from PSU. (Proper ones, not everything will be OK.)
    But safety of system you have should come 1st.

Edit: And MB images shows that entire MB is fed by just one 6Pin connector. I would be very careful about what you pull from it via PCB.

Edit2: Original PSU apparently has only 4-pin for CPU and 6-pin for everything else. I would say, it is not reasonable to use more than 50W Graphics.

I would look for replacement PSU equipped with extra cable(s) for graphics.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    Sentenced and gmavignier like this.
  19. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    You should be looking for PSU connectors not MOBO. GPUs that require external power need those. You can always replace your PSU if it's not a custom size or shape.

Sentenced likes this.
  20. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    There isny any problem if he connects SATA directly from PSU, no wear or anything like that , it is not IDEAL solution , but it will work , of course i won't recommend that for a beast like 3090 or something similiar , but for 120-150w TBP GPU sure , it will do just fine , of course if your PSU isn't total crap already overloaded.

Sentenced likes this.