AMD 5700xt different tuning profiles = freezing/rebooting my pc

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by monkaS, Nov 8, 2020.

1. monkaS

monkaS Guest

GPU:
    Voodoo
    Hello, so when I add a tuning profile for the game overwatch I set all voltages the same and clock close/same to all stages, and the global setting is only undervolted and underclocked to run on desktop and general games which I use the same underclock and undervolt on overwatch too. So when i exit the game overwatch my pc freezes and seconds later reboots, my radeon notification detected an error on wattman so it resets my tuning global profile, any ideas what am I doing wrong? If i use only global with the same volt 1110 at 2050 core clock its fine no problems, on games and running for hours on unigine heaven 4.0

this is a pic of my global tuning https://i.imgur.com/PQMBDsv.png
    and this is the game profile "overwatch" https://i.imgur.com/CXkJitP.png

current driver 20.11.1, I tried 20.10.1 and 20.9.2
    using msi afterburner with rivatuner for monitoring

psu evga 750watt g2
    gpu 5700xt nitro+
    windows 10 2004

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    PICNIC. Just because undervolt and OC works with some games, it does not make that safe for all games.
    Card would likely fail at GPUPI when running any of those other games in background too.

3. monkaS

monkaS Guest

GPU:
    Voodoo
    yeah but I tried global tuning and the game "overwatch" with undervolt and OC and it was running fine no issues, it seems the problem occur when I make different profiles I think

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Why is your Overwatch profile looking like that. What's its benefit over the Global?
    Why not simply run that Global?

5. monkaS

monkaS Guest

GPU:
    Voodoo
    to force high clocks otherwise the gpu is sitting at 1110-1200mhz since AMD can't implement maximum performance mode like nvidia
    and i get higher frames like that stable

6. Jellis

Jellis Member

GPU:
    AMD Rx 5700 xt 8gb
    try raising the power tuning limit, and setting a constant fan curve just for the game profile. i use to get stuttering and sometimes crashing when the fans would randomly spike up and down

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    If the Global is good, and it seems so, something about that Overwatch profile is confusing the driver / power management; being undefined for frequencies bellow 1950 - is that even appropriate for Radeon's lower power states?
    Would be even weirder if that Overwatch profile is working on Desktop (yet crashing while switching)

Again... weird profile - I don't think you can make a curve like that in Afterburner. Maybe sumtin like this and hope that it ignores lower frequencies.

[​IMG]

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Wattman has it's issues, perhaps GPU-Z and logging the monitoring results to file could get some readings of what the actual values the GPU is trying to use would be and that might confirm if there's some problem with values going off from what should have been set.
    I keep to only a global profile tuned to be good enough so the software won't be confused trying to switch states or reset but yeah some games are more sensitive than others so a few sacrifices have to be made unlike a per-game profile approach.

EDIT: Not sure how the GPU would work with a forced close to constant high clock state or almost a single static clock speed either, I use a higher minimum and slightly lowered maximum for under volt purposes and stability purposes but the state used for average/game speeds is always the middle of these two and can't be set on it's own.

Wonder if the GPU would be a bit odd if trying to force a closer singular clock speed since it's not designed for it but it should still be possible to set something closer to that.

Plenty of Wattman quirks or issues though I prefer set it and forget it verifying that the profile works and a check on reboot just to be certain trying to keep it simple and not having it break or confuse or reset values, powerful tool but in need of some more thorough checking and revising fixing some of it's many issues and inconsistencies.

EDIT: Actually it might be less complicated if this is the old issue where the global profile is prioritized and that's hitting some instability although it hitting instability on exiting the game is curious when it should be switching over.

Sigh so many varied issues from how fast boot causes Wattman to reset, voltages or memory clocks resetting or locking low or high and then clock speeds going above or below the set value and changes between drivers changing the behavior somewhat although optimizations or changes to how the GPU performs are a thing that happens and might need some fine tuning of a previous stable profile so that itself is not new.

EDIT:
    Hmm wonder if it tries to retain the high clocks and then dropping too fast on voltage that'd make it unstable.

VRAM clock speed is a real hassle to get right too due to error correction and some titles working really well or the GPU recovering minor errors and then others is going to crash hard just some small changes.

Desktop might also entail having the web browser active and Firefox and some variants of Chromium and the driver profile and all kinds of issues or bursting up to high clock speeds from GPU acceleration here among other software where this can apply.

One possibility too where the idle speeds and settings might not be enough for maintaining stability.

Monitoring or logging the values the GPU is sending might answer that question. :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020