Guru3D Content Review: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 6, 2020.

1. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Current bigest flaw is .... there isnt any game or GPU that would take advantage of that power. You will see retest in 2-3 years , this will be TOP dog . Watch 720p benchmarks that are well optimized for ryzen . ( soon all new games will be more or less well optmized for ryzen, just like it was with intel for last 10 years) .

- Check some well optimized CPU games ( Strange Brigade , WWZ...)

2. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    That's a flaw? Wtf?

3. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    5800x, come to me.

4. I_Eat_You_Alive

I_Eat_You_Alive Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    My nice new shiny 5800x that I waited outside in 30 degree weather for 6 hours to obtain is defective. Core 4, 5, 6 are not properly connected to the heat spreader and spike to 98 degrees under an kind of load. While the other cores have good thermals and hit a 48.3 to 48.5 multiplier the defective ones barely hit a 12x multiplier. Got a store credit and they will let me know when they get their next batch. Back to the 3900x for now.

5. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
    Intel just has everyone conditioned into that mindset. I think it just another key difference in their designs. AMD is only making 8 core chiplets, anything that they sell with less is because its somehow defective. If it has fully functional cores that are too leaky, or can't hit the desired clocks, they become 5800Xs. The 3950X and now 5950X both use less power than their x900X counter parts. So the x900s likely suffer from both problems. Besides the lack of competition, the 16 cores are disproportionately more expensive because it's just better silicon. Actually with the across the board price increase, the 5950X is actually less per core than the 5800x. Even then its stuff that isn't up to snuff to be server or threadripper chiplets. At least this time it seems like the dual CCD CPU's are getting 2 equal quality chiplets. You'll probably get exactly what you want in a 5800XT though, if they end up with a surplus of 5950X quality silicon.

6. beedoo

beedoo Member Guru

GPU:
    6900XT Liquid Devil
    Fairly upbeat about everything I've seen so far - especially as this is all with a launch-grade BIOS; performance isn't going down!

Apparently some interesting stuff coming in a future AGESA release to support undervolting.

Also waiting eagerly for some new Threadrippers!

7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Man this thing is running toasty compared to the 5600X, even the 5900X runs a bit cooler.

I'm going to wait and see if a 5700X is around the corner, and see what that does.

The thing is, i plan to keep my CPU for atleast 6 years, and i don't want to go from 4 cores (4770) to just 6 with a 5600X and at the same time i don't need 12 cores.

Valken likes this.
  8. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black

5700x would be the sweet spot. But you cant act like a 12 thread cpu is dead in the water, even 3 years from now. In fact, you can still game rather well even on an x58 12 thread cpu. And those are 10 years old.

Fox2232 and Undying like this.
  9. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    When you get a replacement, do you mind posting the temperatures you see with the 5000 series CPU? It would help us all track down problems together.

Sorry to hear this.

10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The 5800X has a full single 8-core whereas the 5900X or even the 5950X uses two core complexes which spreads out the heat and might work better on less extreme cooling solutions so the user doesn't have to bolt on a Noctua DH15 or 200mm+ water cooling radiator to get solid results for getting this in a good temperature range.

Single CCX so potentially better latency but I wonder what the AGESA and how that's set up scales for the 5600, 5800 and two 5900's here plus overall binning even if the 5900X is 6+6 with two deactivated.
    For the 3000 series I think the 3900's had the highest boost ceiling and the highest temperature target before clocking down even after AMD tweaked this scaling a little in a earlier AGESA code update.

But there's other changes to how the 5000 behaves and from what I can see it's doing a really good job boosting and maintaining the higher speeds not just brief spurts of hitting close to the max or projected target or even above in some cases.
    Plus from AMD's comments it's going to see further improvements in upcoming AGESA code and later bios updates so that will be interesting to see.

Anyway single CCX going full speed and a smaller focused area getting a lot of heat instead of spreading it out thus likely more challenging for standard air cooling to dissipate short of the big block of copper type kits and heavy duty fans. :D
    Even the 5950 with 2x8 would be spread across more of the CPU surface though once these do properly boost and if they maintain a higher speed the figures could change a bit but I don't know how varied the binning and "quality" is for the 5900's this time.
    (So there's going to be some variance again and newer made fabs could see gains over time as this matures or how it's called.)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yay, I wanted to ask something for very long time. And as always I forgot:
    "Can you add little detail to CPU and AIO-LCS reviews? It would be if LCS's coldpate is convex or concave. And same thing for IHS on CPU."

It can save people headache. Because intel used to have Concave IHSes and therefore most of LCS have convex coldplate.
    While AMD usually have convex IHS and that often leads in sad, little contact area with LCS right in the middle and poor contact around CPU dies.

12. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Sounds like they wanted to ship as many CPUs as possible and made the quality control quite superficial.

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I don't understand how this is even possible. The 5900X has 4 more cores and draws a lot more power.

NVM, I just read the explanation by @JonasBeckman

14. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah it should transfers through the metal block on the CPU cooler across a larger area and dissipates better as a result of this, probably could heat up really well for heavier workloads even so but then the CPU also cools down well as a result since it's less centered and the heat is led away or how to put it. :D

Good thermal material and a decent air or water cooling solution should still be capable of handling it but as I understand it and from what I've read that's the reason the single CCX models run hotter by a few degrees.

Secondary would be binning and the voltage level these are at for their boost speeds and what AMD uses depending on single or multiple core workloads but the higher voltages are only done in short burst so the operating voltages and average power draw should be more even.

Said binning would also mean the better chips become the 5900's and 5950's though you'd still need one good CCX for the full 5800 8-core CPU so they can't be that far behind perhaps limited by what AMD designates for the 58xx in terms of limits.
    (Temperature before it throttles, effective max boost clocks and such.)

Still learning though, picked up a bit about it when reading up on the 3000 series and Zen2 and then what AMD changed in the early AGESA code and on which from the sounds of it more changes are also coming for the 5000 series.
    Might see some reviews or comparisons once that's available could be anything from improving memory compatibility potentially even up to 1900 or 2000 infinity fabric and DDR-4000 kits for the better CPU's instead of hitting compatibility problems.

Already sounds like AMD's made a few nice changes to how the 5000 series operate and Zen3 compared to Zen2 what little I've been reading so far, impressive work really.
    Price and performance gain isn't quite a worthwhile upgrade over replacing the GPU though I'd do both if I could ha ha.

And come to think of the thermal imagery should be showing this temperature centered on the 5800 and spread for the 5900's for where the CCX's are and what the underlying layout is on the CPU. :)
    Might be a similar amount of heat but it's dissipated through the cooling block quicker and more effectively when evened out a bit more.

EDIT: Ah the IO die on the bottom or a bit centered and then the CCX goes above it seems.
    Either 1x or 2x for this configuration since it's now 8 cores per complex.

[​IMG]

Hmm wonder if the IO causes any thermal issues but probably less than the cores themselves regardless whether it's one or two CCX's it's connected to.

Suppose if they're a bit to the side too then the metal block isn't going to be 100% effective in thermal transfers either and optimum effectiveness but the TIM might help a bit with reducing the temps further long as the application is good.
    (More of a issue for OEM and users I suppose, too small a blob or something and the IO's covered but it might only be partial or entirely miss the actual cores above that.)

Sigh talking like it's the GPU industry now where some poorly fitted or entirely omitted padding can happen or entirely missing thermal paste on the GPU die itself, should hopefully not be quite that bad for OEM systems at least. :D

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  15. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    10 core doesn't make much sense when there's just $100 gap between 8-core and 12-core
    Too much segmentation for no good reason.

Actually, the pricing on this one is bad... totally not worth it compared to the 12-core (which can become a 6-core if needed in light threaded gaming scenarios, to avoid thread jumping over IF)

Last generation 3700X made so much sense because it was very cheap (relatively)
    This generation 8-core doesn't, and it's a flop.

16. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah but instead this is closer to the 3800X or it's position I'm thinking which had that issue for the 3000 series being like a better binned somewhat higher clocked variant but the 3700X was just a better deal similar or almost identical performance but a better price. :)

Or the filler(?) of sorts XT models that AMD added in.

Not sure what a 5700X CPU could be if there's even room for one it doesn't seem like it.
    (Looks like AMD just dropped it entirely this time?)

Lower end models perhaps before the rumored refresh or what "Warhol" ends up being for 2021 sometime.

EDIT: Well sorta, 5600 as the six-core, 5800 as the eight-core so there's not much to choose from for those wanting a octa core Zen3 it's the 5800X or a step up for a bit more going for the 5900 twelve-core instead.
    (A few extra cores but a bit of a higher price but perhaps more balanced for what you'd get.)

Maybe AMD could turn the CPU prices down a bit later on and that'd position the 5800X a bit more favorably. (If that's even happening at all until it's time for the next one.)

Lily GFX likes this.
  17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    There will be 5600 and 5800 non-x for 50-70$ less then the 8core makes sense. I dont want a 6core this gen and i would rather wait.

18. Lily GFX

Lily GFX Member Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3090 Xtreme
    https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-rob...yzen-5000-undervolting-with-new-functionality
    - No power plan needed
    - Best memory config > 3600 to 3800 with tight timings
    - New Undervolting feature soon (Might solve some of the heat on the 5800X and give better temps on all)
    - per-core overclocking not supported

INSTG8R likes this.
  19. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    It feels to me like a pointless CPU at that price. Gaming wise it's like a 5600X, production wise it's a lot weaker than 5900X.

Usually, past a certain point, you get increasingly diminishing returns when buying products, i.e. less bang for your buck.
    In this case, though, it's quite inconsistent:
    • 5600X => 5800X +50% $ & +33% cores
    • 5800X => 5900X +22% $ & +50% cores
    In other words, prices per core are:
    • 5600X: $50.00
    • 5800X: $56.25
    • 5900X: $45.80
    I feel like the only point of 5800X is to make the 5900X look attractive. Basically, price anchoring.
    As GN mentioned, perhaps it can still make sense for those who need production performance but just can't stretch their budget by another $100.

H83 and Lily GFX like this.
  20. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Or you could just go straight to 12 cores and don't worry about a new CPU for at least 3 years.

I doubt any new games in 2-3 years time will use more than 12 ( many might use 8 easily, and you have some core leftovers for background tasks or streaming or whatever )