Guru3D Content Review: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    It is not a high binned cpu, hence it having lower boost clocks than the 5950x, which was the entire point of what i wrote...

2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Ah, that makes perfect sense! Cheers, boss!

I'm loving the performance on these things.

3. Herem

Herem Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Lily GFX likes this.
  4. Herem

Herem Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    I didn't mean that they should have deliberately disabled good cores but instead use the CCX units which failed validation of 3 cores.

Lily GFX likes this.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    EK 240mm LCS. Not the most extreme cooler out there but definitely mainstream LCS.

Lily GFX and Herem like this.
  6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Ah that way .. possibly 4 sure. Historically AMD does not like 10 core parts though. No idea what the reason there is. Perhaps yields are simply better than that or cost/benefit wise it might not be interesting enough.

Lily GFX likes this.
  7. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    i still get a very strong feeling that non X models will come in few months

maybe has to do with odd numbers per ccx .. although i have no idea if thats the case ... i mean in the past they had no issue to bring 3core cpus ...

8. Herem

Herem Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    I'm not sure what you have in the pipeline @Hilbert Hagedoorn, but if you were looking for some more Zen content then it would be very interesting to see some benchmarks showing how performance scales with different memory clocks and latencies.

steffi likes this.
  9. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Also 5600X with 2 cores disabled. That quad core zen3 could be cheap gaming beast. People need that :D

10. steffi

steffi Member

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    Yes please.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    It is high binned, AMD just wants to make sure it doesn't outperform the 5900X and 5950X. They don't want people going "HuRr DuRr why should I buy the 5950X when the 5800X is faster in <single threaded task>!?"
    That's probably why the 3800XT was so stupidly expensive.

12. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    HH: At the risk of reposting, there is an error on page 30 in the first paragraph :

"And yes, all die's are the same, so in this proc 2 cores are simply disabled."

That appears to be hold-over from the 5600 review.

13. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    This will be my last reply, otherwise i will get a headache from facepalming so hard...

If it was a high binned chip, it would clock as high, or higher than the 5950x... and it doesn't - not even when oc'ed does it reach the stock boost clock of the 5950x.

14. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    AMD just wants to make sure it doesn't outperform the 5900X and 5950X

schmidtbag likes this.
  15. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Yes, thus they dont use high binned chips in the 5800x, unlike in the 5950x.

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Seems that facepalming is causing you brain damage. Are you not aware of how Ryzen overclocking works? Not even the 5950X itself can overclock to its boost clock speeds. You're not likely to achieve an all-core overclock at 4.9GHz on Ryzen with off-the-shelf cooling methods. The max boost clock doesn't apply to all cores. That's why when you do an all-core OC, even though you aren't reaching/exceeding the max boost, you're still drawing a hell of a lot more power.
    IIRC, an overclocked 5800X draws more power than a 5950X, so yeah, it's probably not going to reach/exceed 4.9GHz on all cores, regardless of binning.

That doesn't change the fact the 5800X is composed of high-binned chips, but like I said (and you seem to ignore) is AMD doesn't want the 5800X topping the charts of their more expensive products.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  17. Nicked_Wicked

Nicked_Wicked Master Guru

GPU:
    6900XT
    Bummer about the price, especially since the binning is quite meh. This really should’ve been the 5700X at lower price point.

18. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    /massive facepalm

Hillbert overclocked it to 4.7 ghz all core... with off the shelf cooling. But i guess you didnt even read the review, you just went to the comments to spew BS.
    And yes, the 5950x can be clocked to 5 gz on a single core - the 5800x cant be clocked to 5 ghz on any core.

Read the link i linked in my first post... it shows that the boost behavior on the 5950x with only 8 cores used is far surperior to that of the 5800x.

And yes, it's because amd doesn't want a midtier product to be top of the table - thank you captain obvious. And that's exactly why they are using the high binned ccx's in the 5950x, and not the 5800x.

My whole point is that amd is missing an oppertunity to make a truly high performance gaming chip by not having a high binned 8 core single ccx cpu that can reach 4.9 - 5 ghz.

I seriously feel my IQ plummeting talking to you...

19. combatant

combatant Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1660 Super 6GB
    Hi Hilbert, I'm a long time reader but just signed up. Thanks for your work, guru3d is my goto for reviews.

May I ask if you had considered including 1% and 0.1% results in your reviews? This can tell another side of the performance story and is especially relevant to gaming performance where high fps is looking to be maintained consistently.

Some other reviews show that while there is minimal difference between 5600x and 5800x in average fps, there is a measurable difference in 1% and 0.1% lows.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    So needlessly hostile... So much for your "last comment".
    Clearly, I was looking at the wrong product and you're not paying attention either, because the 5950X boosts to 4.9, not 4.7. That being said, it can't OC to 4.9 on all cores with off-the-shelf cooling. So, my point remains the same that the 5800X is unlikely to do the same. Yes, the 5950X can get an all-core OC to 4.7. HH managed to achieve 4.7 on the 5800X too, so, the binning isn't as terrible as you think.
    There are people who managed to get higher than HH (without extreme cooling). Just because he didn't reach 5GHz, doesn't mean it can't happen. Just because some people got 5GHz on a 5950X, doesn't mean everyone will.
    You're the one who's complaining about why they didn't do things the way you wanted. I'm trying to explain it to you, jackass.
    It is a truly high-performance gaming chip... Although a higher-clocked single-CCX chip would be nice, Zen3 so far doesn't seem as crippled by multiple CCXs as previous generations. The performance gains for the 5800X don't even make up for the lower clock speed.
    I seriously feel you're approached this needlessly aggressively. I already stated that I had a misunderstanding earlier, and you escalated this REAL quick.

yasamoka and Herem like this.