Guru3D Content Review: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It's time for already our 4th ZEN3 review, yes the much anticipated Ryzen 5 5800X. This is the processor that is on the watchlist of many with 8 cores and 16 threads if offers a bit more flexibility ...

Review: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core ZEN3 processor

2. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    Valken and Richard Nutman like this.
  3. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT
    I agree. It's weird having the lower core chips with lower clock speeds. The higher core chips should be lower due to thermal limits.
    I don't need 12 or 16 cores, but 4.9Ghz boost would still be beneficial on 6 core and 8 core chips.

schmidtbag, Silva and Dragam1337 like this.
  4. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    I am not sure we have seen all of their rabbits that may be in their hat yet.

Lily GFX likes this.

5. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Thanks @Hilbert Hagedoorn . I do wonder if AMD will end up discounting the 5800X to make it the lower 8-core part and do a higher binned 8-core part to fill out the portfolio?

I'm on the fence upgrading my 1800x since I play at 2k. I may just get a new GPU and run the 1800x into the ground. Not certain yet.

6. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    The "X" model usually is the best of that tier, so I would not count on a higher binned chip.
    You can always upgrade to 3700X when you see a good discount, you'll benefit from better IPC and memory latency, although not as much compared to 5800X.

I think AMD purposely chose to super bin for the 5950X and 5900X to beat Intel, 5800X and 5600X are just getting the scraps. Makes me wonder if will be any 5600, specially with the price hike indicating they didn't want to cannibalise on the 3000 series.
    I was hoping to upgrade my 2600 for better IPC, but I don't see 3000 series falling on price anytime soon.

7. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Great CPU but i didn´t expect the 5600x to be so close regarding gaming performance. When we compare both, the 5800x loses some of his appeal.

But at the same time, the 5800x is more future proof, like Hilbert wrote. Though choice for a gamer.

Anyway, it´s too expensive for me but if i could find it below the 400€, there´s a (small) chance i would go for it.

Great review as always!

P.S. I won´t mind one of these for Christimas Hilbert, if you know what i´m saying. ;)

m4dn355, Valken and Kaarme like this.
  8. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    forgive me for being the wet blanket but I'm not as impressed as I'd have expected to be. However they are still impressive numbers but the pricing just isn't there.

Kaarme likes this.
  9. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Great review and thank you for all the hardwork Hilbert. We come to you for your honesty and integrity. Apologies if we seem pushy but we are just anxious!

I am on the fence between this and the 5600X CPU. That 50 USD premium plus scalping, plus increasing prices on the B550/X570 makes me wonder if 5600X would be enough.

There is less than 7 FPS difference with the right GPU which can be easily overcomes by a slight OC on CPU + GPU.

Hilbert, would you have time to do a review of PBO OC on the Ryzen 5000 series? Or if you have an Asus with DOC, maybe that with 4000 1:1 IF RAM settings?

Lastly, cannot wait to see this coupled with AMD 6800, XT or 6900 XT with SAM, and RAGE MODE.

It seems there are hidden power (AMD Fine Wine) waiting to be untapped!

10. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT
    I'm sure the prices will drop by January time, to try and reduce the chances of Intel stealing back some buyers with their next chip out in Q1.

m4dn355 and Valken like this.

11. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    There isnt any game to use that power , you need to check 720p and lower test on other sites to check that "future proofnes" , but as it seems , untill GPU power goes up or some strange effect/use of CPU is found in newer games, there isnt any point of anything above 6 core.

Valken likes this.
  12. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Yeah. I feel like AMD should have only raised the prices of the enthusiast chips if they absolutely needed to raise prices. It was a mistake to raise the prices of mainstream CPUs, like this 8-core one. Perhaps once Intel gets Rocket Lake out, AMD will lower the prices, who knows. Though I otherwise do find this 5800X quite a jolly CPU based on the review, the price increase leaves me unimpressed. I didn't care so much about the price hikes of the enthusiast CPUs because I wouldn't buy them anyway. Not that I'd buy this either, already having a 3700X system, but theoretically I could have bought this if I was still suffering with the old Intel one.

AsiJu and Kool64 like this.
  13. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    That's just it. They spoiled me with the 3700X. Of course we may yet see a 5700X or something but that loses it's luster fairly quickly because the 5800X is already slower than "the fastest". Of course a bit of OC should fix that.

14. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Actually, the more I think about this, we should give AMD the extra 50 USD for one good reason, to give Intel the big finger for effing us over the years since 2600 with their pitiful 100 Mhz increments until Zen 1 came out.

We need AMD to get to monster level Enterprise to shake up the industry. Glad to see Apple and ARM jumping into the PC CPU RACE to keep both Intel and AMD in check as well... sorry for political drift...

INSTG8R, 0blivious, m4dn355 and 2 others like this.
  15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The thing that bugs me about the 5800x is that once you buy it, you may soon end up slapping yourself in the face for not putting $100 more for the 12c 5900x.

Exodite, wavetrex, Netherwind and 2 others like this.

16. Jumbik

Jumbik Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64 N+
    I've chose the 5800x over 5600x for one reason only... because I'm upgrading my main components only once per 6-8 years. Graphics cards are something else in this case, they have shorter life span for me, but I do not feel like changing Mobo, CPU, RAM every other year or so.

I've chose the more future proof (hopefully) CPU with one Core complex for better compatibility too. And as I'm not using my PC for "hard" work (for the most part), the 5900x does not appeal to me so much.

JAMVA, Undying and Valken like this.
  17. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    Ture but I already gave intel the finger when I bought my 1600X(when the 8700K was king) and subsequently dropped in a 3700X on the same mobo. Now I almost have to buy the 5900X to even bother as 4 more cores and the extra headroom for clock speeds is at least minimally more cost effective than my going from the 3700X to a 5800X.

Valken likes this.
  18. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    My thoughts on this is power draw and usage the 12 core is quite a step up over the 8 core in power and heat if an 8 core will do then thats where I would be but if you do stuff that will actually use the 12 core then its worth it, and if your a quiet pc nut the 12 core and above will be noisy without a significant cooling solution, the non x versions should be 65w so would be better waiting for

JAMVA and alanm like this.
  19. 3x3cUt0r

3x3cUt0r Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I thought the 5800X only had one CCX? Skimming through your link, it doesn't appear to say otherwise.
    I would expect the 5700(X) to have a pair of CCXs.