Windows timer resolution tool in form of system service

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, Mar 23, 2013.

1. artina90

artina90 Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    I tried it again a few minutes ago.
    It looks like TRC doesn't go out of sync anymore, the only thing I did from the last time I checked was updating to Windows 20H2, I don't recall making any other meaningful change to my software/hardware.
    The timers still stop every few seconds though: https://streamable.com/qfmn07

MakeHate likes this.
  2. MakeHate

MakeHate Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660ti
    Please let us know about the results of communication with support.

And if it is not difficult, give me a link, too, I will write, because I can't solve it myself.

3. MakeHate

MakeHate Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660ti

You have a problem, you are wrong. It's just that it hasn't gained momentum yet, and it will be visible by 100 seconds.

Look at your video 14.28. you have a 0.1 millisecond lag in the RTC there, and this gap will increase, further-more.

4. artina90

artina90 Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2020

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @artina90

Problem with RTC in your case is not in going out of sync with other two timers in CPU-Z, because they do not need to be in sync with each other. Problem with RTC is in (possible) incorrect real time provided for OS.

PS It (still) can be that CPU-Z has a bug concerning timers tool.

6. MakeHate

MakeHate Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660ti
    The fact that the problem is in CPU-Z is impossible, because a similar lag is observed in WinTimerTester.

Already wrote there. We're waiting.

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    WinTimerTester has no RTC timer at all
    [​IMG]

8. BlackNova92

BlackNova92 Master Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    Just a quick question, is it normal for windows to reset hpet settings and dynamictick settings after an update?
    i didn't even realize it in the beginning, but basically all those settings didn't exist anymore for some reason, just wondering if it's windows related or some weird fuckery in my system.

just uploaded a picture of my enum, does it look good or is there anything missing/wrong?
    [​IMG]
    (just had to add the last 3 things as mentioned, they were gone, so no clue if more disappeared)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @BlackNova92

Feature Updates do that. Not Cumulative Updates

10. BlackNova92

BlackNova92 Master Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    hm that is weird then, i haven't installed a new one, it still asks me to get the new one but i haven't decided yet.
    but yeah, does it look good so far?
    tried to completely turn of hpet, so hope the settings i've changed are correct.
    the only thing i'm not sure is right, is if you should use tscsyncpolicy legacy or enhanced when hpet is off.

11. AverageGamer845

AverageGamer845 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    i'm having the same issue with RTC timer always being behind or ahead of the two other timers, i also use a msi board (Z370 gaming pro carbon) :C

12. BLUMquality

BLUMquality Guest

GPU:
    GTX-1070 INNO3D x4
    I have the same, Perhaps this is a problem with the boards MSI ( Z490 TOMAHAWK (last bios)).
    There is no such problem on the ASUS ( Z490M PLUS (last bios)).
    ASUS : The clock is running smoothly. No braking
    MSI : The work of the clock is different. Go with braking.
    ASUSZ490.PNG MSIZ490.PNG

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    There are RDTSC issues in 10 and 11th gen processors that may or may not have had bios patches introduced.

[​IMG]

14. BLUMquality

BLUMquality Guest

GPU:
    GTX-1070 INNO3D x4
    It is Bad my CPU or Motherboard? There are no such problems on the ASUS. I am interested. Where did you get this table?

15. brandyn

brandyn Guest

GPU:
    1060 6gb
    sorry to necro or whatever but i literally made an account to respond here and get my issue sorted. my hitreg and latency in games is procreating terrible, even on a fresh install of windows.

i found this thread and checked out the timers tool on cpu-z and my RTC timer is out of sync, running behind the rest of the timers. https://i.imgur.com/udvG4vl.png

ive tried all the bcdedit settings in combinations and nothings changed, what can i do?? i dont know if this is the root cause of my issue but i dont know what else it could be. my pc is completely new, built myself and ive had these same issues on my previous pc too

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Try to investigate drivers - https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/simple-way-to-trace-dpcs-and-isrs.423884/

17. brandyn

brandyn Guest

GPU:
    1060 6gb
  18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You did ask about latencies. I responded with the tool to investigate latencies.
    Every time you reinstall Windows device drivers are installed, and they can cause latencies.

As for Real Time Clock, I doubt it can influence professionally written code of the games. And even more - it seems that RTC is not even used any more for the system time maintenance in new Win10 builds.

19. brandyn

brandyn Guest

GPU:
    1060 6gb
    actually you were right, i checked on my fresh install and the RTC issue doesnt happen, it's completely in sync, so... unsure exactly what to do about this.. i would just like comfort in knowing they're in sync regardless.

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    There is no evidence that 3 timers (in CPU-Z) being not in sync leads to any problems. I strongly doubt any existing code can utilize all 3 of those timers at once. And any code using only one of timers is not in any danger at all.