Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Grimbarian, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Why is that templar wearing a greek-style helmet? Seems like a re-use from Odyssey...

2. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    It's probably to give the Zealot warriors a unique look. Also this is an ancient cult, so it makes sense they would use all kinds of styles and equipment from all around the world.

Also:

3. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Preload will be activated on Friday 6th November.

4. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Templars aren't greek however, so just looks... wrong.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I hope this will be better than W_D:Legion in terms of optimization and global lightning.

6. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    some parts in those videos looks ridiculous. a Viking that sneaking around like a Hitman feels off. i liked the last AC game, it was very well-made game
    and i do feel those games are repetitive to the bone yet they have good qualities in em. i don't like this one from the last videos iv seen.

7. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    Hope the same. I don't have W_D: Legion, but I've read the performance impression from people here on the forum.
    That said, I do think that AC: Valhalla will have a performance advantage in comparison, simply due to its setting in medieval England.

W_D: Legion takes place in a modern (fictional) London, which is filled with reflective surfaces; glass, mirrors, cars, marble, metal etc.

It's hard for me to imagine that DLSS & raytracing implementation will have quite the same performance impact in AC: Valhalla.
    But we will know next week.

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    As it turns out it wasn't just the helmets...
    They took their pillars too...the...pillagers! :p

[​IMG]

EDIT: Maybe that was just a thing back in the early Britannia days they had these remnant Greek - Roman Greco-Roman bits couldn't really break it down and build it like houses so the cylindrical things remain.

...Or a bunch of older assets go re-purposed.
    Men in tights meet the men in togas!

EDIT: And I see someone installed a safety landing haystack for them too.
    (Can't build anything higher than a few meters before some peasants start throwing piles of hay around.)

EDIT: And a bunch of temples and towns in some later images after a few more checks, need to have a look just where the world map goes for this game suppose some of it might be from ol' Hadrian and his boys before they built the wall because the Picts were kinda weird and strange and naked. :p

Nope just a bit of England nothing about the surroundings I could find at least.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    Netherwind and DocStr4ngelove like this.
  9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Im leaning towards it just being old assets being re-purposed... as far as armor goes anyways. But yeah, Britain at that time had aloooot of Roman influence in regards to architecture.

Angantyr and JonasBeckman like this.
  10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah I expect there to be a mix of historical influences and their own slight changes and anachronistic mixes for game purposes together with some asset re-use too for speeding up the workflow. :D
    It's been going since the very first game I think although until the later games they mostly reigned in the creative changes though with some leeway for story purposes and such.

This is also based on older surviving records and historical details and the Viking mythology is not the most complete and might be mixing new and old sources a bit but it does give Ubisoft a lot of ways they could use it for their game.

For the images I can find of the games world and map I do like what I see.
    [​IMG]

Although a few are likely more concept arts or promotional screens and a few are badly compressed trailer or other video frame grabs. :D

EDIT: Armor and weapons especially the special stuff probably even before the shop stuff is what I expect will really be mixing in various influences all over the place and various time periods.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    DocStr4ngelove likes this.

11. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Loot mechanics will result in less inventory management this time. They said the game won't drown the player in 20 versions of the same stuff anymore. Instead you will upgrade stuff you like for the whole campaign.

Thank god for that . Both Origins and Odyssey got on my nerves with decluttering inventory all the time.

Backstabak and JonasBeckman like this.
  12. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan RTX
    Well I certainly hope they don't have any Greek type Odyssey temples in the Britain forests. A few Greek/Roman columns are ok. Wait maybe there were Greek style temples in Britain back then. Yet another thing with which to do a search on the net.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Britain had roman empire bath houses and roads, via and aquaducts, stairs, etc.

14. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    Pre load will be on the 6th

15. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    There were no greek style temples in britain, but alot of roman buildings. So if they do re-use temples from odyssey, then i will be very disappointed aswell, as that is beyond lazy.

16. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    ok, so gear enhancing and the setting of the game both mean this is now on my radar. I'll keep an eye on reviews. Never really got into AC games.

17. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    Do you have a source on this? All I can find is speculation.

18. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Official mail from Ubisoft:

Angantyr likes this.
  19. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Yep I got this yesterday:

Valhalla2.jpg

20. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Since Britain was part of Roman empire they had cities and infrastructure build by Romans too, that's where all the columns and temples come from. At the time Romans buildings and roads would be in disrepair at best, since after Roman withdrawal the building techniques were lost to the local population. There weren't many differences in Roman and Greek temples too, even the entire Roman pantheon is copy pasted Greek pantheon, just with different names. The Greek helmet as discussed on the previous page looks like ornate anglo saxon helmet.
    Generally, apart from all the alien stuff, I'd say that AC shows historical places quite well.

As for the game, since Cyberpunk got postponed I'm really thinking about buying it on release. I'll just wait for the first review to see that it's not buggy, poorly optimized mess.