Synology DS218 for 240 € good deal?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by anticupidon, Oct 23, 2020.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Hello gurus!
    Just wanted to know if this is a good deal or it's just my imagination.
    I wanted a NAS for a long time I have an OMV box, but Synology always looked attractive for their DSM software.
    So, pull the trigger or wait a better deal'
    Always DIY is in a certain way better, but for now I want less time spent on tweaking and installing stuff.
    Thank you for your time1
    Cheers!

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Forgot to specify: brand new.

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Answering my own thread.
    That Synology NAS has a Realtek CPU.
    Didn't know that this is a thing.
    Forward thinking - this CPU could impact the overall performance by lacking some instruction set.

4. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080

5. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Got a Zyxel NAS542 for about 130 Euros. I bought it because of 4 slots, raid5 (+hot spare if you like), 2 LAN ports (gbit) and iSCSI. Media playback at 1080p is possible, I haven't tried 4k yet.

I found out you can flash Linux on it, so probably something for you?

Its a dual core with 2gb ram.

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Interesting. Never knew that Zyxel makes those. However, flashing Linux on that unit is both appealing and not so much.
    DSM software is pretty much hitting the nail in the head, you can simply set once and forget.
    I try to avoid fiddling and managing software when I am at home and do that only for lab and certifications only. Too much of anything is not so beneficial.
    But thanks anyway, better to learn something new.

386SX likes this.
  7. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    From a friend I heard Synology ones are fast and feature rich. He owns one himself, but I cannot recall which one he has. It's an older one (about 2010 or 2012) for sure and he told me he uses it as a storage to access over vpn for himself and about 3 or 4 colleagues. IIRC he doesn't use SSDs inside .... yet, just 2x HDDs in Raid1.

Sadly I cannot give you more solid info on those, as the Zyxel had all I wanted for less bucks than a comparable Synology NAS. But from what I heard they are good.

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Found today the DS220+ for 305€. Checked the price history, is the lowest since the device's launch.
    Good deal? I doubt that BF should lower more this price.
    Anyone?

9. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    The US conversion is $363.47. The Ds220+ cost about $299, tax not included, which would be 8% for me here in the states from Amazon. I just picked up a brand new DS216+ for $225 tax and shipping included. Put in 8Gb memory for $20. Still learning the in and outs, but it seems okay for my use, just to share files to two other PC in my network. Setup Plex, found you need to name files certain way for Plex to recognize, and then sometimes it still will not see some of my vids or music. I don't have Plex Pass, so I do not know how hardware encoding will work, most of my vids are 1080p, playing onto 1080p monitors.

10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    So, should I mash the buy button or hold?

11. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    That really is up to you, it is a crap shoot with PC hardware lately. Items are starting to get higher in price due to demand, and shortage. Just be aware the DS220+ or most of their 2020 line does not do hardware encoding with Plex Pass natively like it did pass. There is a work around, that has been documented if you google it, or even go to the Plex forums.