Back To The Basics: Freesync + 120Hz/144Hz Monitors

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Oct 22, 2020.

1. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I basically can't play any old game on my Gemini Lake device due to their crap drivers. Thanks, but no...

2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It's certainly outdated, slow and XP era but feature wise it works.

Mhh... Can't get Freesync to work on my Renoir laptop. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  3. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I think you misunderstood that. In Horizon Zero Dawn nvidia users could enable AF until it's fixed in game while 'Us' Radeon users were left flapping in the wind until the developer addressed it because AF in the drivers doesn't work. I would account your statement on the matter a false equivalence. I don't need to draw on an old, years gone by, game to bring scope to the severity of not having Driver Level AF working. I can, and will, example a newly released game in the past 2 months.

It's an advertised feature that was well known.

[​IMG]
    https://www.amd.com/de/support/kb/faq/dh-012

I don't care what Nvidia has or doesn't have in this regard. It was wrong for AMD to remove this and other features. One of which they still have visible on their own website. And, never provide an explanation why they removed it!!! Having to draw upon your own memory to realize that some features are missing. And do to the fact you don't fell like researching shrug your shoulders until you realize the games you play don't require "shader Cache" as the game does it's own caching. it is then you notice there is no option to turn it off unless you do a registry edit. Something you didn't have to do before the removal.

And one of the most glaring omissions of a feature is the omission to include an option to change the refresh rate from within "Home" section the Driver. You have to use win10 to do that. And no, I didn't say custom resolution. Something Nvidia drivers have done for a very long time. So lets not play semantics about this.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  4. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    You got your reasons to be grumpy about AMD drivers, I get it. Yet nobody of AMD staff reads your complaints here and no other user can do a thing about it.

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Well, I got it to work today. Still seems to be 50/50 whether or not it will work. Used NVIDIA Pendulum demo. Also found out that AMD's adaptive sync implementation is pretty meh. If you select 20-50 fps range then there's indeed tearing from time to time for a brief moment (in some LFC situations). No such issues with NVIDIA.

Yeah, not going to bother... I hope Big Navi makes Ampere cheaper and forces them to release that RTX 3080 Ti with 12GB VRAM.

6. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I tested this extensively with Polaris and there never was tearing in such situations.

7. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Those issues have been submitted to them quite a while ago. Its not being grumpy to point out the glaring issues with the drivers that goes beyond simply not working. It's a concerted effort to remove and eol features within the driver that is the focal point I've brought attention to. There are about 4 or so options in the Advanced Graphics Settings that cannot be used in games using current API's in 2020. Missing features that were never implemented for RDNA 1, etc.

Another thing, why is there no control over Save Instant GIF? I thought I could create animated GIFs at will when I enable it but that's not how it works. It automatically, saves GIFs towards the end of your recording. Making the usability of it very cumbersome for me.

I mean the list goes on and on.

-----
    But for the purpose of this thread. I want to say that for some reason I could really tell the difference in using FS when it works and when it didn't work. When it works, the games are very smooth. But when I update to a driver when it doesn't work. It doesn't get stuttery but it's not as smooth. Even though I haven't noticed any tearing. I can disable FS and play the game with frame rate capped below my refresh rate and still get the same experience.

That to me tells me that it's not working. And it's been that way for a long time being that it worked in one driver release to not working the next.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  8. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    just tested some various modes for DirectX on AMD... yeah, the global or in-game VSync setting isn't overriding with "Always On" however I did have some tear-free gameplay with VSync off in game, and used Chill to lock to 59 fps with FreeSync enabled.

You can also use RTSS for fractional fps support, and either capping or Scanline Sync (I prefer this one with many games, -10 setting)

9. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700 XT
    So I am new to Freesync. I haven't had a GSync or Freesync type of monitor before until I got this new Philips 345E2AE. Its only 75Hz but it has Freesync. I've been testing it with F1 202 and tried different settings in the AMD control panel and in game. When I enable Freesync for the game and disable VSync in the gameI get stuttering when I am steering around corners. With Freesync enabled in the AMD control Panel and VSync enabled in the game its as smooth as silk. I'm not sure if Freesync is working or not and I have no idea how it should work wether I should enable VSync in the game or keep it disabled but with VSync disabled it stutters all the time when turning corners.

I was using a DELL U2913W 21:9 2560 x 1080 monitor for three years before I got this monitor and I had it overclocked to 75Hz. With VSync disabled it felt much smoother than this monitor going around corners.

So do I enable VSync in game with Freesync enabled or do I leave VSync disabled?

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    First, make sure "Radeon Enhanced Sync" is disabled.... That "feature" has been a cause of various problems.

Undying likes this.

11. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700 XT
    Thank you. I tried that before posting. I did disable that while testing different things. With that enabled with V Sync I was getting some microstuttering so I disabled it. But I don't think Freesync is doing anything with VSync disabled

12. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus E. RTX2080Ti
    Simple guide:
    Use e.g. RTSS to cap under 3FPS of your monitor refresh rate (so 72FPS).
    If the game has own FPS cap I always try to use it first.
    Let VSync OFF in game, if you notice tearing try to turn it ON. Some games simply doesn't work well without VSync.
    VSync settings in Radeon works only for OpenGL.

There is no one settings for all games, because not all games implement the FreeSync right.

Undying likes this.
  13. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700 XT
    Whats RTSS?

14. z8373767

z8373767 Master Guru

GPU:
    6900XT/8650G+7970M
    Riva Tuner Statistic Server

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    This is basically it. I just use rtss even when there is ingame limiter.

16. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Games don't implement FreeSync, they only might screw up fullscreen and make it hard for the driver to detect that it should turn on VRR.
    Using fps limiters offered by the games themselves usually have lower latency than RTSS and RTSS can cause issues with VRR on its own (e.g. in Heroes of the Storm, affects both AMD and Nvidia).

Not using vsync with VRR usually also is a bad idea too if nothing's broken. I could limit to 100fps in CS:GO with a 144Hz display and was still getting tearing with VRR (which worked correctly). It was fine with vsync, no additional lag or vsync judder.

17. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus E. RTX2080Ti
    In 99% i use RTSS but I also found game, where external limiter caused stuttering (i don't remember which game now) and internal worked OK.

FreeSync works also for windowed mode, but in DXGI you should also use DXGI_SWAP_CHAIN_FLAG_ALLOW_TEARING for chain, DXGI_PRESENT_ALLOW_TEARING for Present method and VSync interval = 0.