Can I pick your brain - Threadripper system 3970x

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by tived, Oct 28, 2020.

1. tived

tived Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 super
    Hi,
    sorry to bother you all
    but I was hoping I could pick your brain regarding a Threadripper system.

I currently have an X570 3900x (May 2020) setup but this storage system is troubling me,
    I feel a little dull upstairs because I didn't do my homework here I can't get the AIC to run at full speed e.g. at 16x with four disks in it, only 2.
    Fast storage has always been a pet issue for me.
    the Ryzen CPU is fast enough, but the lack of PCIe lanes that is causing the issues for me

Usage: The system will be for content creation, image editing and processing originally for 2D images but I am moving into 3D still (cad drawing using Sketchup etc... and will eventually look at rendering)

I hope I am getting a 3970x CPU from the UK - I am in Sydney, Australia - I ordered and paid for it...so fingers crossed it will arrive!

MAINBOARD: I haven't settled on mainboard

POWER: what power supply to use (in the Ryzen I have an Antec High Current 850w and in my old SR-2 a Antec 1200w) not sure what model

COOL: Lastly I am looking for a quiet cooler. I would like not to go down the custom water cooling (don't have the $$ for it or the knowledge) - my current one is Noctua NH-D15

looking for quiet and cool!

Looking for suggestions for
    • Mainboard TRX40 ?
    • Power supply - if the current one isn't sufficient ?
    • CPU Cooling ?

I currently have
    • 4x G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Memory
    • Antec High Current Gamer HCG850 80+ Gold 850W
    • ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Dual OC 8GB
    • Fractal Design Define 7 XL Full-Tower case but also an old Lian Li V2120
    storage
    • Gigabyte AIC NVME m.2 4x controller
    • 2x Seagate 520 1TB
    • 3x MP600 2TB
    • 1x Gigabyte GP 2TB
    Want to get rid off
    • Ryzen 3900x CPU
    • MSI MEG X570 mainboard and possible also a MSI Prestige X570 Creation when it gets replaced with a new! RMA
    • EVGA SR-2 with 2x 5650x etc...
    I appreciate your time help and assistance, TIA

Henrik

2. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Regarding the motherboard, they are several good boards which I would choose like ASRock TRX40 Taichi or Creator, MSI TRX40 Pro 10G if your requirement is 10G LAN, Gigabyte TRX40 Designare are another good boards ans then you have Asus Zenith or Strix series

For PSU I would really recommend go with Superflower, EVGA or any good manufacturer like Seasonic or Silverstone, 850W PSU can be on limit there and think something like 1000W should do the job

For CPU cooler, BeQuiet Dark Rock TR4, Thermalright Silver Arrow TR4, Noctua NH-U14

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

tived likes this.
  3. tived

tived Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 super
    Thanks Jura11,

really appreciate you taking the time.

in the back of my mind I am looking at the Taichi or the Designare - would have liked to be able to go for the first xtreme but it’s not even available and it’s a bit on the pricy side.

who makes a quiet 1000w power supply?

I have had Noctua in the last couple of builds just worried that this is a different beast to cool.

thanks again

henrik

4. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi Henrik

Really not sure if you benefit from Zenith Extreme, choose board with best features, ASRock I have been using in past on X99 but with current AMD X570 I went with Asus Crosshair VIII Hero and I'm very happy with that board

Yup Zenith Extreme are expensive and some Gigabyte boards are too on expensive side too and if you gain with them anything, hard to say

Quiet PSU,BeQuiet or EVGA or Silverstone and most of the PSU have Hybrid mode as well where fans doesn't spin till you hit like 50%

Here is one review of the TR4 CPU coolers

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?296761-Thermalright-Silver-Arrow-TR4

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

tived likes this.

5. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    For the cooler personally I would go with a decent AIO this one from Alphacool is the one I started with and have now expanded it to a custom loop but you need to check your case for room its huge! it basically a custom loop in a self contained case

https://www.aquatuning.co.uk/water-...r-extreme-liquid-cpu-cooler-280-black-edition

https://www.alphacool.com/eisbaer-extreme-details

Its all standard 1/4 threads and the unit has fill ports etc, maybe more involved than you want but it will cool better and as I said can be expanded later on with extra rads etc if you want, it will also fit the TR the brackets are included now and are not extras

For PSU I have for the last few builds bought Seasonic they also have a silent mode where the fan doesnt work when the load is small enough and come with a 12 year warranty.

tived likes this.
  6. tived

tived Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 super
    thanks for taking the time to reply

I meant to say above the Gigabyte Extreeme TRX40 but it seems very hard to get here in Oz and is also equally expensive!! so maybe not, as you pointed out with the Asus, probably a total overkill

Henrik

7. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi Henrik

Yes these boards are overkill, Gigabyte TRX40 Extreme friend used on his build just due he won that board and if he gained anything I would say nothing in OC

I planned as well ThreadRipper build for myself but that time I really wanted board with at least 5 PCI_E slots and 10 SATA ports which I never found and went with X570 after my X99 board and CPU failed in spectacular way

Get board which have good features and good VRM, check Bulzoid or GN videos regarding that

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

8. tived

tived Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 super
    Thanks Jura,

really appreciate your advice and taking the time to help me.

I made the mistake first when I went with the Ryzen, not understanding the chipset limitation. So it’s back looking over all the feature sets, no point paying for something I don’t need.

henrik