Preview: AMD Radeon RX 6800 (XT) and 6900 XT graphics cards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 28, 2020.

1. ACEB

ACEB Member Guru

GPU:
    Surprised not many are seeing the foreshadow of the infinity cache and the integration of the pc as a whole ;-) won't be long for chiplets in a gpu but I haven't seen anyone talk about the possibility of enthusiast level SOC's all interlinked with the fabric and sharing caches with total near instant communication

I was expecting WhiteLightnings staff tag to come with a green tint to it. Seriously some strange opinions in this thread especially with price, how can the 6900xt be overpriced or expensive if it's in comparison to Nvidias 3900 which is 50% more expensive with no performance uplift. The only thing was the 6800 is obviously a little expensive in comparison with the 3070 which is a shame, but the 6800xt is a great deal.

All this raytracing talk has also got me confused, it wasn't just a few weeks ago everyone was saying the 3000 series has underwhelming raytracing of course AMD is going to be far behind in that, I will wait until I see next gen console implantation of raytracing before I form an opinion on this, as AMD has it at a hardware level while working with microsoft to improve it I would say wait for games rather than non gaming benchmarks

Now I wait and see what Nivida do with the 70ti and 80ti I want that vram increase, see how cool this is, be a fanboi of tech not companies and you can never lose

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I noticed that too, so that's that.

Evildead666 likes this.
  3. chainy

chainy Active Member

GPU:
    970gtx
    What issue? Im doing that with Vega but working fine..

4. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    Gtx 1050 MSRP 139
    Gtx 1060 MSRP 250

Rx 560 MSRP 99
    Rx 570 MSRP 170
    Rx 580 MSRP 229 (8Gb)

(Source: Wikipedia)

A lot of people deem those years as bad for the lack of competition at the "top end" but they were really golden for main stream PC gaming. Heck, u could run some VR stuff on a 580/1060 (Acer Windows MR and Vive Pro user here....)

5. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    DLSS 2.0/2.1 is free performance at 4K.

Stormyandcold likes this.
  6. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I think the most important thing that needs to happen is Nvidia move back to TSMC. Although, I do understand that this might not happen until RTX4000 series.

7. sayem57

sayem57 Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX2080Ti amp
    With my RTX 2080 Ti I have audio dropouts with my AV receiver, especially with youtube. So it's not just AMD.

8. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    You're totally over thinking this. Anyway, we have a potential rough/early number for the difference - 33%.

I've weighed-up the situation and like others have said, I'm going to sit on the fence for a few months at least and see how this plays out. The decision is now more complicated than just upgrading the gfx card. If there's performance to be gained by going fully AMD, then, I must also consider that possibility.

However, I'm not going to early adopt this setup. Will wait for user feedback+reviews.

9. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    True, but it should still be taken with "some salt". We still don't know what options (resolution, platform, etc...) were chosen for the RX 6800.

10. Brit90

Brit90 Member Guru

GPU:
    R390X 8GB
    The only thing I have really questioned was the AMD 5000 CPU hooked to a 6000 GPU.
    They showed a slide where it improved up to 13% in one game.
    Now was this enabled when they did there own testing, which made the 6800xt faster than the 3080 in some games or was it disabled?
    As we all won't have the latest and greatest CPUs, does this mean it's a sort of manipulation of the performance of the card?

11. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Because you know the story of the fox and the grape.
    The fox couldn't get to the grape, so she said it wasn't good.

Seriously people have been asking for competition since the 900 series of the geforce.
    Now it seems they got it, ( the 5700xt was competitve too ).
    But now the ram is not enough, and the price is too high,
    You give them a card with double ram and less price, and they ask to remove a couple of gigs so it can be cheaper!
    There is a lot of people with little sense.

carnivore, pegasus1, ACEB and 3 others like this.
  12. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Is a marketing event with the presentation of the card, not a review.
    So is worth what is worth.
    That is why people like @Hilbert Hagedoorn do the job they do.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Should be noted that this is neither benchmark, nor has any resemblance of accuracy.
    Reported ray/s and fps ratios in their screenshot vary from 0.856 to 1.175. That means fps is far from plain function of ray capability.
    And for same card, their values swing wildly too for both fps and ray/s.

This is simply a tech demo and should be taken as such.

barbacot and Stormyandcold like this.
  14. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    It's not quite different than RTX development. In essense developers determine how many rays to shoot off objects to achieve the desired result. What will be of interest is how AMD's approach handles the various types of ray tracing (path tracing, global illumination, reflections, shadows, ambient occulsion, caustics, etc) and which hamper performance.

Well I wouldn't take the "bacon out of the pan" just yet. Besides AMD and Nvidia, Intel will also be a DXR participant with their own particular version of RT acceleration that developers will need to work with. The amount of development time required by Game Studios will be of interest for all RT approaches.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    jura11 and Fox2232 like this.
  15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    With my AV receiver its running perfectly.

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Oh damn!!! AMD throwing huge shade at Nvidia in this one!

I like this more aggressive stance.

Maddness likes this.
  17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Ampere GA102 has more transistors than Navi 21. We know that both AMD nad nVidia use lower than available transistor density to balance achievable clock, leakage of different parts of GPUs.
    Could GA102 be smaller than Navi21? Yes.
    Without consequences? No.

barbacot likes this.
  19. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080

It seems changing the RT benchmark window size will give a different score, but if using the default 1280x720 results in a score of 470 for the 2080 Ti instead of the reported 314. So we will need to wait for more info on what settings the RX 6800 XT used.
    https://twitter.com/CapFrameX/status/1321558386924785665

Edit: Clarification

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  20. Ilya

Ilya Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 SLI @ 1200/7000
    Im ready to move from 3900x and 2800ti to 5900x and 6800xt. If they can manage to have availability for both of these on launch day Im done with nvidia

pegasus1 likes this.