Preview: AMD Radeon RX 6800 (XT) and 6900 XT graphics cards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 28, 2020.

1. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    That would be funny now that the tables have turned.

2. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Off topic: my line of work, SAM stands for System Award Management

3. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    The 6700 hasn't been announced yet.

4. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I think you might see street prices do just that. Most of this tech doesn't sell at MSRP for very long if there is any competition.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    nVidia did already returned to pre-Turing Pricing. So, while some were impressed by price of 3080 and below, it was actually back to what we had before.
    And AMD competing with that while giving good alternative is more than we could expect.

Would nVidia released Ampere with Turing pricing scheme, AMD's card now would look super cheap. Same can be said if AMD released their cards before Ampere.
    (Just because nVidia destroyed Turing prices month before AMD did not make RX 6000 launch prices any worse.)
    At start, nVidia did ask $200 extra claiming that their magical board will get new features over time... "Soon TM" style.
    Then Freesync (adaptive sync) compatibility was talked off with: "Totally different, inferior, incompatible."

Now: "Soon TM" did not happen. Freesync = G-Sync = AdaptiveSync.

But when you look for new Freesync screen, AMD changed naming few times. And you want newest "standard name" which supports AdaptiveSync+HDR at same time. (IIRC Freesync Premium.)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  6. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Goin with 12 or 14 would have decrease bandwidth and so performance.
    How is that everyone was angry for 3070 8gigs, but 80$ for extra 8gigs and a bit more of perf aren't good enoguh?

7. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    Are drivers fine? Just because AMD does not have an employee to read bug reports, it does not mean that bugs do not exist. AMD should care less about new iterations of raptr interface and start supporting their "supported" products.
    Sadly, both AMD and Nvidia are sandbagging their products. Nvidia with VRAM capacity and AMD with their "reliable" driver support.

I can't believe I will say this. We need Intel to save us...

8. Mpampis

Mpampis Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT 8GB
    Nope. The slides said that Rage mode was on for the 6900XT only when compared to an nVidia card. 6800 XT had Rage (and Smart access memory) mode enabled on the slide comparing it with itself, but without these features enabled. The added power was not mentioned though.

9. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Maybe you should read the comment I responded to as well then instead of selectively quoting, and it may make more sense, corporate PR where? Bit of Orwell and pointing out that not all products are available dirt cheap to all individuals if he so chooses he is free not to buy but frankly the world or either of these companies would give a rats ass

10. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Team red it is 6800xt for me my 2080ti will be donated to the Wifes PC to replace her 2070 :) Yayy all team red for the first time in a few years long may it last and no more stupid nvidia centre crashes!

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  12. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    This thread is impossible. I was going to read it through before commenting, but every time I thought I was on the second to last page, by the time I'd scanned through the comments and clicked the button for the next page, I was again only on the second to last. This is like an endless maze. Bah.

This looked better than I expected, to be honest, but I'm nonetheless glad AMD didn't hype the GPU beforehand like they would have done in the past. Now we got decent results with no hype (aside from random outsiders who didn't even have any connections). I was pretty much 75% sure I'd get an Nvidia video card before this presentation, but now I feel like it's at least 50-50, depending on how these AMD cards will look like in real reviews from Guru3D. Of course I'd likely get a lesser card anyway, but if the top cards suck, the lesser cards would suck as well. I just hope AMD's RT performance won't suck. If it's useless in the not-yet-announced lesser cards, it would be a deal breaker for me. I expect 3060 Ti to be at least somewhat capable in RT, after all, though that also remains to be seen.

Maddness and AsiJu like this.
  13. xcazy

xcazy Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    can't wait to replace my ancient GTX1060 GPU to RX6800XT

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
  15. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I do not know in which threads this was said, when the threads usually go for the usual trend we see those days, i disappear.
    But yeah that would have struck me if i had read it.
    Strange that the 3000 serie can't do it, at the end is something done with the pcixepress lanes. Maybe some extra wiring on the io/die?

16. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Looks really good. However, after watching
    and hearing about a list of replicable bugs in the 5000 series, I've decided to sit on the fence, look at driver threads and see how this progresses early next year before upgrading. Without a doubt, AMD is looking really strong right now, but, yes, RT performance...

Which method will win the RT battle? Dedicated cores for RT like in RTX, or integrated support in the cores like AMD?

pharma likes this.
  17. Jumbik

Jumbik Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64 N+
    Ok, I was already set on upgrading from i7 4790k to 5800X and keeping my Vega 64 for a bit yet, but here is AMD just casually showing Smart Cache and I have to say I'm really tempted for 6800XT a lot now too. :D

JAMVA likes this.
  18. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I want a card to play wow with RT on at 75-100fps at 1440p.
    As soon as i understand which is it, i buy it.
    Never found decent reviews of wow performances
    (independently from when the cpu is clogged and the game slow down to hell)

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    The only reason I stopped using AMD cards was because the drivers were NOT fine, I was forced to sell my card and buy NVidia to make my computer viable again, it immediately solved the problem!
    Since then I have watched to see if driver problems are lessening with new card launches and had to shake my head.
    The previous AMD card launches were awful.
    (not that the NVidia launches were anywhere near good, but at least their cards are stable now, and my 1080ti isnt borked by bad drivers)

I want AMD drivers to not break my system then I have options.
    I'm in the market for a new high performing card and CPU.
    Lets see how this goes, I may still have my 1080ti by the time I am sure things work well enough to jump in.

20. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    Telling of what exactly?

What percentage of total gameplay in 2021 will need RT to be excellent or your gaming experience suffers?

Bugger all I bet. It's a nice to have, what's better to have is all the rest such as bang per buck. Can AMD deliver.

Fediuld likes this.