GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Spotted In Pre-Order For Roughly 400 USD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    There's no 5700x to compare the the 3700x to. If AMD never releases a 3700/x, then sure you're right. But the 5000 series hasn't even been released yet and who knows what will happen in the future. Never has the entire lineup released at once.

And it's clear he was talking about 1st gen to 4th, not 3rd to 4th, as you stated

1800x $499
    2800x non-existent
    3800X $399
    5800X $449

Your 3700x comparisons (since there is no 3700)

1700X $399
    2700X $329
    3700X $329
    5700X (Currently unannounced)

Then there's the cheaper lineup to

1700 $329
    2700 $299
    3700 non-existent
    5700 (Currently unannounced)

And i'm not gonna put out the XT's as i believe those to be one-offs, but who knows.

All of these CPUs have been 8-core 16 thread CPUs.

Prices have changed pretty much every generation

Sometimes generations don't release a sequel.

We have no idea if AMD will release a 5700x to compete with your 3700x pricing.

Point being: None of this is new, the pricing is right in line with pricing over the past 3 years, lets get off of our "artificially surprised" notion and move on, wait for reviews, and hope AMD will released a 5700/x as well, or even a 5800 non-x

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  2. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Agonist
    i compared the cheapest chip of the biggest series,
    meaning FX vs what is out right now, and even the 8/8 version (FX) was still cheaper, so yeah.
    and we 1. weren't talking about value, but price 2. value is not a feature, its only connected to how much money ppl have.

e.g. the only ppl that will argue a +1M$ super sports car has bad value and cost of insurance/maintenance/gas/tires is too high,
    are the ones that dont have the means.
    or compare food prices of the stuff you bought last time, to what the same items cost 10y ago.
    did the stuff get better in the same amount the price went up??

@Aura89
    i wanted tom compare price to recent cpu,
    and i wasnt looking at model number, but smallest chip with 8C,
    and even then, its ~300$ (1700) vs +400$, increase in price either way.

3. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    if they straight up eliminate a tier and replace it with a more expensive one tha'ts all u have to compare with i would argue that its perfectly valid to compare the 5800x to the 3700x when there isn't a direct replacement its like the cheese way to raise prices and somewhat justify it.

4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Depends on what's released in the future.

I highly doubt AMD will only release 1 8-core CPU for the 5000 series. More then 2? Who knows. Time will tell.

But to be honest it's a weird statement either way, given the fact you don't compare products against higher end products just because they are both 8 cores. a 5600x could best your 3700x for all you know and cost less.

If you want to just compare cores get a 8350 on ebay for like $60 bucks and call it good or a Xeon E5-2658 8-Core for $18 on ebay.

This is very invalid in multiple ways. At least at original release date. Never has AMD released all CPUs at the same time, we don't know what is coming. If AMD never releases a cheaper 8-core CPU then sure, the 5000 series for 8-core will sit at $449 for both lowest and highest end 8-core CPU, but given historical information, it's unlikely that AMD will only release one 8-core CPU.

If this same logic could be applied everywhere, then AMD is releasing the most expensive lineup ever, due to having no products under the 3600x currently announced. Which means AMD from last generation went from their cheapest product 3100 at $99 to their cheapest product 5600x being $299

It doesn't work that way, only the future will show how many products are released and at what price points.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    AMD could just continue some of the products from the previous generation instead of replacing them all.

6. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    If there is a 3060 I will wait for Zotac to make one that fits in my NUC9i9QNX.

7. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    That's worked out for previous generations but I'm not so sure it will this time around. Reason being that Ryzen 3000 and Ryzen 5000 are on the same process node, which is most definitely supply-constrained. Why spend 7nm wafers on Zen 2 chiplets when you could make Zen 3 chiplets instead?
    Especially as AMD have to build up inventory of good, fully enabled Zen 3 chiplets for next-generation EPYC demand.

I'd expect Ryzen 3000 processors to be around for a while but I wouldn't be surprised if supply, as well as demand, dropped off quite quickly.

Regarding the pricing of GPU midrange champions it's worth keeping in mind that the Radeon 5700XT is $400 and that's a Polaris replacement (RX 480/580/590 equivalent).

Historically we've had cards from both vendors hitting specific price points for comparable series but increasing prices are definitely here to stay. Rather than get too focused on naming it's probably best to look at pricing, what does a certain amount of money get you for a particular architecture or point in time? We're still a ways from knowing what Ampere, or Big Navi, will deliver in the $200 to $300 price range but when we do that should be compared to what similarly priced Turing or Navi cards rather than get too hung up on the naming scheme.

8. NightWind

NightWind Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG 2060 Super
    Hmm, a 3060 Titanium sounds good. Let's see some results first.

9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Absolutely possible.

Doesn't mean i think it's likely.

Only future will tell. If by the time Zen 4 comes around there's still no lower end 8 core processors, then we can determine that Zen 3 8 cores was overall more expensive, due to the fact it only included the higher end part.

10. Nicked_Wicked

Nicked_Wicked Master Guru

GPU:
    6900XT
    Nvidia going full panic mode, probably can’t even get the majority of cards out before 2021 either.

Pretty damn embarrassing if you ask me.

11. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Cheapest preorder for he 3070 here is around 450€ so... yeah?

12. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Well don't forget that it's 3090, 3080 Ti, 3080, 3070 Ti, 3070, 3060 Ti, 3060, 3050 Ti, 3050..... if they continue the logic.
    So many chips needed to fill out that lineup.

13. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    You had fun with one game, yay! ONE GAME!
    I tried Control for 30 minutes and uninstalled the game: piece of crap. Opinions, I know, but RT isn't worth a GPU costing 2x over the previous gens. I just want a normal good performing card without dedicated cores BS that is the best price/performance I can get with my small budget.
    AMD, please deliver!

DannyD likes this.
  14. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    You had better inform the hard drive and SSD manufacturers that they're doing things wrong. I'm sure they'll be happy to hear that they can infinitely increase their prices :rolleyes:.

15. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Prince Valiant
    shhhh, lol
    i didnt mean prices going up compared to last gen, but overall prices going up.
    and ppl draw the line at something like pc hw, that most users wont even replace regularly/yearly...

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Your attention span is lacking. Control is great game and probably even better experience with raytracing.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    That's an opinion..... His opinion obviously differs from your's. Not everyone likes the same games.

Silva likes this.
  18. NesteaZen

NesteaZen Member

GPU:
    OCZ
    that's always the wisest stance. best prices are usually 4 to 6 months in

19. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    March would be best time for me, if CP2077 doesn't eat more than 10gb then perhaps vanilla 3080, or i may go wayward and grab 3080ti if available.
    I imagine by March there'll be options on the mid-high end available to actually buy, also if big navi is able to support Witcher3 RT day1 that would be interesting.

20. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You're not wrong, but it was Silva who went out of his way to sorta attack the fact the guy he quoted had fun with a game.

Like, fine, silva doesn't like ray tracing, or doesn't like the fact that it's not in a bunch of games, or doesn't like that it's the future, whatever his opinion is. Doesn't mean it had to effectively attack someone who enjoyed a game with all of it.

If Silva is going to go out of his way to say a game is trash and complain that someone enjoyed playing a game all under the guise of "Opinions, I know" then he should expect the same back, regardless of someone claiming opinions or not. There realistically was no reason for him to comment on that guys post.

Silva likes this.