DOOM Eternal

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -

Corrupt^ likes this.
  2. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    So far the DLC has been brilliant, still on the first map but bloody hell its adrenaline fuel. The action is relentless!

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

cerebus23 and RzrTrek like this.
  4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I don't know what we did to upset id, why they hate us... but I'm sorry. :p

The Ancient Gods Part One is TOUGH.
    Either that or I'm out of practice with Doom Eternal... but damn. They do not ease you into this DLC.

cerebus23 and Archvile82 like this.

5. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Just started campaign, totally forgot about this game last games budget i spent, crazy how at the very start it's totally insanity, dunno if it's cause i selected harder difficulty but it's loads of fun. Visuals haven't stepped-up much since last outing but indeed are very pleasingly more polished all-the-same. Game feels better than previous from the get-go as even the shotgun rocks with that amazing looking grenade upgrade.
    Think i seen it use around 7.5gb - 8gb at 1440p.

AsiJu and Archvile82 like this.
  6. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Bloody hell the sound effects tho!, just picked up the heavy cannon:D:eek::eek:
    Damn seems like it is indeed quite a step-up from last outing!

AsiJu likes this.
  7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Played about an hour of Ancient Gods so far and basically had a stupid grin on my face all the time.

Fact you have a "maxed out" slayer from the get go means the game can go nuts from the first minute.
    Feels like you're constantly in battle and the battles are def tougher than main game but so greatly designed it's pure fps combat bliss.

Andrew and David did a good job on the music, matching the style of Mick's soundtrack.

This is Doom Eternal distilled to its purest essence and clearly made first and foremost for fans of the game.

You want more, here's more. Others can go play something else.

Archvile82 and DannyD like this.
  8. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    Its very raw experience, probably up there with quake in that it's just balls to the wall action. I love the fact the AI is a challenge, so many FPS have come out over recent years with dumb AI.

Bare in mind I'm still on the first map, nearing the end I think.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Still on the first map too but the latter levels should be even better.

The Slayer Gate (great they are still a thing) was pure awesome.
    I almost laughed out loud when you're going for the Slayer Key you get locked in a corridor with a Tyrant.

"So this is how it's gonna be huh!"

10. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I really liked the first map, and I'm loving the third.
    The second... was good, but... I didn't enjoy it as much as the other two.

11. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    Yeah, I was not expecting the tyrant to spawn in lol. I haven't beat the slayer gate yet but I do like the way it made you think you done it then crap load more spawn in.

If they make another Doom after this one I think they should start it like this where the player is fully kitted out, imagine a 20ish hour game with this level of intensity :eek:

AsiJu likes this.
  12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yes!

I get the gradual build up and why it's there but definitely works better when you're given all tools from the get go.

Okay don't give everything immediately like mods and masteries but you get the idea.

13. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Man it's harder than Eternal but it also much more intensive and fun, the Blood Swamps totally drained me out specially the last battle with the cubed eyes.

I wonder when we gonna see part II.

14. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I finished the DLC yesterday.
    Was good, but honestly, I enjoyed the main campaign more. It felt better paced, even in it's harder/late game levels.

The DLC starts at 10 and never backs down, but it also has nowhere to go from there. So, once you get past the first level... the final level doesn't feel any more challenging.

angelgraves13 likes this.
  15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Haven't had much time to play but just got to Blood Swamps.

There's something really fresh about the level, the setting is different from anything else before it.

I also got a strong Dark Souls vibe, as I did from eg. Exultia which could be straight from The Ringed City.

The "infamous" fight with two Marauders was neat, not least because after you deal with them multiple other enemies spawn in.
    So damn good!

More I play the more I like the DLC. It just clicks somehow.

16. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    yeah I'm liking the blood swamps a lot, feels like a nice change after the kinda generic first level. Also noticed the music getting noticeably more badass, turns out there's a reason :)

AsiJu likes this.
  17. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    game is on 50% on Steam these days if someone missed it. just FYI.

angelgraves13 and cerebus23 like this.
  18. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Game is coming to Xbox Gamepass later this year, cannot wait !

angelgraves13 likes this.
  19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I just listened to this and was awestruck (pay special attention around 2:33 ;) ):

Kind of hope he would do the entire Doom 2 soundtrack. Has a few other songs too though if you check his channel.

You can say it's just a remake of someone else's song - which it is - but he adds his own talent to it.

I'm headbanging along with the Caco!

20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Finished 1st playthrough of Ancient Gods Pt. 1 on UV difficulty, mostly a great experience with some caveats:

- I seriously believe the Spirits would work better if they would possess random demons instead of always appearing with a fixed demon.
    Also while they might re-possess seemingly at random, they still seem to always pick the next toughest option. Don't think I saw a Spirit possess a fodder demon once.
    IDK if this depends on difficulty as well.

- the last boss fight is bordering on cheap. There's so much stuff you need to manage and there's more than a bit of luck involved I think.
    Reminds me of a cheapish Mega Man boss fight. Come to think of it the arena is even similar... platforms included.
    It's kind of cool iD are trying to intertwine platforming more into combat but balance needs to be just right.

Doom 2016 had great fps boss fights, maybe taking a step back next time would work better.

- the lore... is out there. Without spoiling too much I'll say the thing that everyone expected to be true, was, but after that I just lost track of wth is happening.
    Having said that looking forward to part 2 but perhaps tone a step back here as well.

though I did love the twist that Slayer double-crossed Samuel Hayden (/ Seraphim / Samur / WhoEverTheFockHeReallyIs) this time...

cerebus23 and JonasBeckman like this.