Microsoft unleashes Windows 10 October 2020 Update

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    Unleashes?

Go get em boy!!!

WOOF WOOF WOOF ARRRGH WOOF BITE!!

3. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
  4. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Mine updated to 20H2 on the second.

5. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    I really hope they address the issue with only being able to have 1 settings page open at a time as they transition away from the old control panel.

If you want to have system settings and apps and features open at the same time, sorry buddy, this is 2020, I can only do 1 thing at a time, on your 16 core computer.

schmidtbag likes this.
  6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Unleashes?
    Oh my, seems that memory serves no purpose on Micrisift team. Anyone remembers a certain update for a certain month or a year and was available after e few months?
    And it was also unleashed...
    Sorry, but I was about to spill my coffee on my screen and I love both my coffee and my laptop.

7. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    What'll they break this time? one step forward and two steps back is the Microsoft Update Motto.

anticupidon likes this.
  8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    True admins use command prompt! Only noobs go to Control Panel. :cool:

9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    You mean Chocolatey?
    Some devs are not so purist when it comes to Powershell or CMD prompt.

mbk1969 likes this.
  10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I don`t like CMD that much, but I adore PowerShell, namely because I am .Net programmer. And Linux adepts can say whatever they want about shells, but from the programmer point of view PowerShell is a heaven.

11. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    The right tool for the job, pretending to do 100% of actions though a command prompt comes off as not understanding very much about Windows. I hardly believe that you are launching a command prompt to enable HDR, change font scaling or making changes to a multiple monitor setup.

What I am talking about above is that for example launching display settings context menu means that the setting button in the start menu becomes disabled because this new way of handling settings restricts you to a single setting screen.

You can see just how stupid and restrictive this is by opening display settings, minimizing and then launching personalize. Instead of opening a second setting window, the first one is reused.

MS is so sure that you wont ever need to use 2 setting screens at the same time they literally took that feature away.

In the old control panel you could launch as many windows as you wanted. Want to load programs and features in one window and system setting in another, go for it, why would that be restricted?

12. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    The complete new settings is complete "smartphone" like garbage shoved on a desktop computers.

I use cmd or powershell or links to various "old" Control Panel applets. Unfortunately some have already been chopped down, missing functionality, which is now in that turd "Settings app"

Windows is really digging it's own grave for power users.
    If this trend continues, it won't be long until Windows becomes so dumbed down that it will look like this:
    [​IMG]
    After pushing:

Cortana / Clippy:
    "It looks like you are trying to use your computer, would you like me to use the computer for you ?"

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    patteSatan and DLG like this.
  13. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    thats not how it works on my system ? I can open as my settings windows as i want ?

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I suspect MS thinks that user has to tweak settings once after installation and then forget about.
    Also I suspect MS thinks that you can fast switch between different settings (pages) by searching them (in "find a setting" control) and "go back arrow".

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Do you imply that you can open multiple Settings apps simultaneously?

16. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    That is the trend, to assume that its perfect the way it is so don't touch anything. I have no issue with simplified GUI elements if the more advanced stuff is retained.

Remember how search worked in Windows XP? Want to search for a system file so you can check its version? Simple, the way it should be.

My favorite all time change though in terms of broken for absolutely no reason is the details tab. Go to any random executable in either programs folder, right click it and select properties -> details. Notice anything suspiciously missing? Where the hell is the company name? I can only assume that was done so users will mistakenly think that everything is Microsoft.

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You can see company name in Copyright string.

18. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I can go to control panel, open any control app, even 10 of them . Dont know if you mean that .

19. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    No.

inside the .exe file of one game, near the end, where this signature tag exists, as Unicode:

C o m p a n y N a m e E p i c G a m e s I n c .

upload_2020-10-21_18-47-2.png

There's no way this is "accidental".
    The deliberately hide this tag

upload_2020-10-21_18-48-18.png

Very lame Microsoft, VERY, very lame.

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    MS does not show company name field, but exe-file you show does not fill the copyright field.
    [​IMG]