Using GTX 1660Ti and not Intel HD

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by gmavignier, Oct 16, 2020.

1. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    I am not new to PCs in general, but this is my first laptop. A Dell G3 with a GTX 1660Ti. It has been running great overall but I have a feeling I am missing out on image quality on desktop because it's using Intel HD graphics.

I have a question: I always use a monitor connected to my USB3 Display port. Is it safe to disable the integrated graphics? And if yes, how can I do it?

Thanks for the support.

2. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
  3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Why do you think intel is worse? Nvidia or Intel should give you the same desktop image quality.
    Why not take a photo of each gfx and compare?

Anyway you can make 1660Ti the default graphics adapter:
    https://www.dell.com/support/articl...dapter-using-the-nvidia-control-panel?lang=en

4. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    I a
    I don't think Intel is worse. It's just that I have been having some issues with my monito set to it's fastest response time. I thought changing the default GPU could, maybe, fix. Or, at least, give me some more options to adjust my image quality. But that is not true. I did what that arthicle said and still I can't change my colour bit depth.

5. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    You're not missing out on anything, sounds like a sweet laptop you have, just forget the integrated graphics, you have a 1660ti connected to usb3 no less.
    With the 20 /30 series cards you get raytracing and dlss, that's all you're missing out on with that laptop there.

6. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Or you could just go in the Device Manager and disable Intel HD graphics altogether.

7. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    I thought about that. I was afraid I could get no video out if I disconected my monitor. I might just give it a try IF Dell enabes that option on the BIOS.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You can't do this on Optimus/Hybrid, the DGPU renders in its own memory pool then copies into the IGP's framebuffer and is presented by the IGP to screen

9. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    Meaning I would lose video signal if I did it? Are all notebooks running on Optimus/Hybrid mode?

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    If it does not offer a choice in the bios.

No, your max-q's for instance are pure DGPU, the IGP is usually not enabled or not routed to any display at all if it is.

11. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    No, since you're running a dedicated monitor through I assume HDMI connection? You can disable the Intel HD graphics and it won't affect your video output.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020