AMD Ryzen 5000 Mobile Lineup Leaks and shows Good Performance Boosts

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 19, 2020.

1. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I had a feeling AMD was moving up the APU's to use current / near current architectures. I bet with Zen4 they launch APU's right along side the Ryzen lineup. AMD is starting to get a lot more revenue so they can pull more off at once.

tunejunky likes this.
  2. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    AMD really needs to stop picking up IntelĀ“s bad habbits...

tunejunky likes this.
  3. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    Marketing

AMD was determined to penetrate the mobile space with Ryzen. but in order to really go gangbusters (i.e. dancing on Intel's un-dug grave) they had to have a compelling APU at different price points with similar capabilities. BOTH will be more compelling than Intel (note: i'm rocking I-7/RTX laptop) with far better battery life and lighter weight (less cooling required).

to us this is stupid, but in the mass channels of distribution you can have Ryzen options anywhere from a $300 Chromebook to a $3k mobile creator rig with $50-75 steps between models (also depends on GPU solutions if any)

4. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    hate AMD much?
    this isn't a re-branding, it's a branding

5. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I think people here just like to complain about the absolute thinnest of hairs, but I digress.

6. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

Ryzen Chiplets are binned for CPUs 1st. APUs are mass distribution, easily outselling the CPU lineup. 1st gen Ryzen had to make a name/ market impression before system builders would go with an APU, then add 10 months for the mobile channel.

so this is unsurprising to me.
    they aren't as bound financially as you thought - it was the 7nm (TSMC) foundry that had supply issues with Apple/Qualcomm/AMD pushing new silicon at the same time.

mobile procs always lag behind desktop procs.

7. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    It is not stupid at all. I will be worried if AMD actually does not pull something like this.
    Imagine some tech company releasing their products without anything shady or sketchy going on. That would be scary

8. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    They do this all the time. No hating.

My advice still stands. Anyone wanting the ZEN3 version must get the even-numbered versions. The odd-numbered versions are ZEN2. It doesn't get simpler than this tbh.

9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Let's see what Lenovo does with their ThinkPad line with those mobile CPUs.
    Or should I say APUs?

10. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    Noooo :confused:

AMD, you just fixed the naming conventions by skipping 4000 on desktop... what are you doing?!

11. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    its kinda annoying to us folks knowing this stuff but also kinda makes sense, a bit like 3100 vs 3300x, zen2 mobile is already better than intel anyway, would there be any difference to the user if they replaced the zen2 parts with lower clocked zen3 parts? they will get the same performance either way(presumably thats the goal), but doing this they can hopefully offer a more meaningful discount for the lower end parts

12. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Casuals will not even know what they are buying 99.9% of the time. Only us enthusiasts really know what we are buying or not.

This is not an issue for us but most buyers will be confused at a simple naming scheme.

anticupidon likes this.
  13. Francesco

Francesco Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870
    I don't see a problem here.
    What's the difference if the system has a Zen2 or Zen3 CPU if performances are similiar?

It's not that Zen3 has more features or better compatibility than Zen2, it's just faster... so a downclocked Zen3 will roughly be as fast as an higher clocked Zen2, period, no difference for the end user... unless the end user is an enthusiast... enthusiasts will pick latest tech no matter what, but should also be able to buy the right CPU without being confused by naming.

14. Lebon30

Lebon30 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070Ti 8GB
    Why is this so confusing, AMD. Why?
    In the end, the move to 5000 series for all chips based Zen 3 is a friggin' bust.

15. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Well, time to offer our knowledgeable services to common people. Geek money, easy as 1-2-3!
    "Want to buy a laptop, but it's confusing.Maybe this, the numbers are bigger.
    "G3D guru pops up - Now slow down here buddy, this is ain't so easy. Starts to enumerate both Intel and AMD naming scheme."

16. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I expect Zen4 to have a full line desktop APU's but they could wait until Zen5. If you look at the Xbox with 52 CU's you can easily see how moving to 5nm you could fit a 60-70CU part into a desktop APU. This means extremely competent gaming APU's that would be extremely good at 1080p even high FPS 1080p, good at 1440p and passable at 4k. It wont be about mobile as much as destroying Intel across all segments which is going to happen as AMD moves to 5nm on EUV way before Intel can get on its EUV based 7nm. You will see a lot of budget gamers pick up APU's in 2022 and there after.

tunejunky likes this.