ClockTuner for Ryzen (CTR) - and introduction guide and download

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 29, 2020.

1. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    Yay, Got the results.

Diagnostic results
    Max temperature: 74°
    Energy efficient: 3.96
    AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
    Your CPU is GOLDEN SAMPLE
    Recommended values for Overclocking:
    Reference frequency: 4425 MHz
    Reference voltage: 1250 mV
    Recommended values for Undervolt:
    Reference frequency: 4300 MHz
    Reference voltage: 1175 mV

ShaunNthQLD and shin32 like this.
  2. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    So Diagnostics says it's a Golden Sample but.... golden.png
    But I've yet to complete a tuning I took this screenshot right before it crashed/rebooted I was actually trying to document the error message I'd received on previous attempts so I set the reference voltage to 4275 as it was stopping due to error at 4350 but I didn't get that far this time. As you can see 1 core is at 4400 some are asleep and some are where they are supposed to be. regardless it rebooted.
    CTRCCX.png

I just wanted to catch the error that's stopped past attempts but got this weirdness instead...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  3. Efreeti

Efreeti Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW3Ultra
    Just like with the last version of CTR, my system resets during the first stress test of Step 6. I don't know what to do
    (3900X, Asus X570-E Gaming MB)

I am running 16GB 3600MHz RAM with XMP enabled, should I set that to Auto? It might default that RAM to 3200MHz or lower, and the guide mentioned "I also advise you not to use serious overclocking DRAM, because CTR cannot distinguish the problem of voltage shortages on cores from unstable DRAM. For example, I use a 3200 MHz DRAM frequency.". My system does otherwise run stable with XMP enabled though.

Here's my diagnostics results:

Max temperature: 53.1?
    Energy efficient: 3.69
    AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
    Your CPU is SILVER SAMPLE
    Recomended values for Overclocking:
    Reference frequency: 4325 MHz
    Reference voltage: 1250 mV
    Recomended values for Undervolt:
    Reference frequency: 4150 MHz
    Reference voltage: 1150 mV

EDIT: I tried running CTR with 100% default BIOS settings, including LLC set to auto, and using the "Enhance Accuracy" setting. CTR reported CPU Vdroop increasing to 2.5-2.6%, up from 1% previously, giving me the message "Recommended to improve voltage compensation", I assume that's a message relating to LLC.

It made it further this time, getting to Step 7, but still reset my system

Does ANYONE know what might be causing the resets/crashes?

4. daghtus

daghtus Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080S, 8 GB
    I like new CTR's enhanced accuracy. It yielded a bit unexpected results in my case, though. It proposes higher clock for CCX module with worse cores. But it still works dammit. :)

5. anub1s18

anub1s18 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX2070S /WC
    ah 2nd runin with CTR went much better then the 1st... in terms of the program not telling me something went wrong and i should reboot immediatly.

my silver sample 3900x seems to be meh at best though, love that you can save 2 profiles as it allows me to save the undervolt results and the overclock results.

undervolt it managed 1.15v 4175 MHZ on CCX 1 and 2, 4075 on CCX 3 and 4100 on CCX4 taking the cinebench to 7180 (my previous -125mv offset undervolt + pbo could tap 7300 when i boot my pc up in the morning, more around 7200 when warmed up).

overclock it managed 1.25v 4325MHZ on CCX1 and 2, 4200 on CCX 2 and 4225 on CCX 4 taking the cinebench to 7480 regardless of pc temp (ran it after i had just been playing a game all day so my water was a bit warmed up, thought it'd be better then having it tweak around ideally low temperatures)

6. Global_Boot

Global_Boot Guest

GPU:
    EVGA2080ti
    Can anyone tell me where I might find LLC settings with the MSI X570 -pro mobo? I cant find it anywhere in the bios and I'm not sure if another setting with a different naming convention works it or not.

7. miker916

miker916 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Think i'll give up on this - it simply dosent work. Exactly same as previous releases, diagnostics runs up to step 19 dropping the voltage until it reaches a ridiculously low voltage and crashes my system. Seen other folks having the exact same issue.
    3900X
    Asus x570
    32Gb RAM @ 3600

8. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Mine ran the diagnostic just fine “golden sample” but crashes out of the tuner, well managed to get it to 4.4 but still crashed out just before it was probably finished. I’ve run it countless times getting a little further but always crashes, never finishes.

9. Roccer

Roccer Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti XC ULTR
    If it’s crashing, step 1 is check windows event viewer and look at the system logs. Most likely you’ll see a WHEA error event or a kernel error (or both).
    Step 2 is to adjust your LLC level and try again.

the crashes are from either too much vdroop (cpu gets too little voltage and the system crashes/hard restarts ). Remember, the software is trying to boost your cpu with as little voltage as possible. If it hits a voltage floor and then vdroop occurs and it goes even lower, a crash/reboot will occur.
    Or your hitting thermal limits and causing a reboot. So again. Check system logs post reboot.

most likely if it’s in later tests, it’s due to voltage drop, so this is where adjusting LLC will come into play. In my case (ASUS board), the higher the LLC level, the less vdroop (more phase control).

High LLC (forcing as little vdroop as possible) can lead to overshoots if you’re pushing high voltage through the CPU and can kill it, but, since our goal here is higher frequency with LESS voltage, higher LLC levels appear to be our friend.

daghtus and JCL like this.
  10. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    I posted screenshots further up I have 0 vdroop and my temps were never higher than 42. I even loosened my RAM timings just to see if that was the instability. Just got me a bit further than the last crash. It’s a shame it doesn’t have a Resume function so you can at least see when/where it fails outside of me watching it.

Edit: I’ll also add it does not play well with AIDA64 which I use for monitoring.

11. Efreeti

Efreeti Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW3Ultra
    Thanks. My thermals weren't going above 51-54 C ever, so I guess it's worth a shot to just try to increase my LLC to max and try again.

12. ST4H

ST4H Guest

GPU:
    5700XT 8GB
    Please help, ctr says that it has ramped up hz to 4075 but reading still says 3800.
    upload_2020-10-18_12-37-36.png

13. Joaoo

Joaoo Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6900
    Do I need to disable Core Performance Boost in the BIOS? Gigabyte x570 with 3900X

14. Roccer

Roccer Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti XC ULTR
    your cpu is probably struggling to do 4300 MHz @1250mv. Try setting ref. Voltage up a bit. Like 1265-1275mv and try again.

just because there’s no vdroop doesn’t necessarily mean it’s voltage starved.

i fully agree tho, a resume or “save tests” would be very helpful.

INSTG8R likes this.
  15. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    True enough I got pretty close perhaps a little voltage bump would solve it. I’ll have another go another day. I ran it so many times earlier just crossing my fingers it would finish just once...

Roccer likes this.

16. mibo_ger

mibo_ger Guest

GPU:
    rx480
    I have the same with my 3300X and a ASUS TUF Gaming B550M-PLUS.
    I think CTR has a bug and does not work with 3300X cpus.

17. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    I keep getting the message
    recomended to increase the level of voltage compensation (LLC) but this on my Wifes x470 Ultra gigabyte and there are no LLC settings in Bios any ideas?
    CPU is a 3900x 32gb ddr3600

18. touay001

touay001 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I have 3950X Golden. CTR 1.1 is working quite well. The only issue is, that after sleep and upon weak up, CTR forgets the settings so I have to re-apply the profile. Is there a way to make CTR re-apply the profile after wake up?

Ryzen 9 3950X
    MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk
    32gig RAM

1.PNG 2.PNG

19. miker916

miker916 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I set my LLC to 5 (highest available on my MB), just the same - got to step 19 then crashed

20. Max(IT)

Max(IT) Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX3080 Holo
    somethings seems to be wrong with your CB20 results, IMHO. :confused:
    I mean, my final results are:

Vcore 1.256 V
    CCX1: 4400 MHz
    CCX2: 4400 MHz
    CCX3: 4200 MHz
    CCX4: 4200 MHz

idel temps are 32/34° and max temp is 75°.

BUT my CB20 went from 7200-ish at stock up to 7707 points.
    Why are you getting 7614 points with an higher clocked CPU ???