NVIDIA Allegedly Moving Ampere to 7 nm TSMC in 2021

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 13, 2020.

1. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3090
    I have been expecting this. Seemed like too outside of Samsung wheelhouse. Plus side is I am more then content with my 2080ti so no hurry and hopefully this will help AMD regain some competitive market share.

2. Martin5000

Martin5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    sure to take years.

3. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    the 10gb only point was to give the 3090 a reason to exist
    - jayztwocents video "3080r ender crashes lack of vram, 3090 uses around 11gb for a run"
    - Linus Tech Tips "you need 11Gb to game in 8k"
    coincidence ? I think not
    especially when Linus adds "It's not a Titan, pro features older titans had were willingly locked away by nvidia so as not to compete with a real titan"

p.s. I don't know about Samsung but good yields from TSMC for many years ;)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  4. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    Assuming this is true, it reveals some very strange and ambivalent behavior from Nvidia on the 30 series launch. I can't help but think that this is going to cause angst with some of the early adopters. I myself would have been one of those early adopters, but fortunately I chose to hold back for a bit. And considering this development, I'm glad now that I did.

A big thanks out to you Hilbert and Guru3D for posting this article!

kakiharaFRS likes this.

5. Obsidian_Oasis

Obsidian_Oasis Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070s
    DigiTimes is not the most reliable source of information but that being said, I still call this rumor BS for at least the RTX 3080/3090, maybe for the other sku's but not for the flagships. Just some fanboys trying to still keep hope alive for NVIDIA fans until Hopper arrives.

Why? Because Samsung has a NDA with NVIDIA on this GPU fabrication and NVIDIA just can't break a contract at a swing of a pen without any repercussions from Samsung unless this is only a a few months exclusive contract and that's very high unlikely.

I'm sure NVIDIA will be addressing these rumors soon so it won't damage even further the 30 series already worst launch and potential sales in GPU history.

6. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Sooo, it looks like it's NOT "just a phenomenon", who would have thought... o_O

Dragam1337 likes this.
  7. k0vasz

k0vasz Active Member

GPU:
    nV GTX1060 6G
    They don't have to break contract - they'll continue to produce and market these cards, but in the meantime, they'll introduce the Super/Ti variants using TSMC. Also, as the yield is pretty low, they don't have to afraid that by introducing the superior versions, they'll stuck with a lot of unsellable (vanilla) 3070/3080/3090 cards.

8. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Really am considering cancelling my 3090 strix order now... cause everyone knows the TSMC 7nm is going to be alot better. You see it in phones aswell, where samsungs 8nm is waaaaay behind.

Solfaur likes this.
  9. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    AMD will be loving when you actually buy their products. ;)

10. tailspin

tailspin Member

GPU:
    ARES II 6GB
    Sweet, after all that F5 shenanigans on 100 retail sites for the past month, my F5 finger can finally take a rest, it was getting RSI! On a serious note, makes me want to get a TSMC 7nm 3080 GPU say EVGA FTW Ultra Hydrocopper and OC it to the moon! :) sweet !!!! have to wait a few months though, but it'll be worth it! =D

11. Obsidian_Oasis

Obsidian_Oasis Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070s
    That's not how simple graphic fabrication relocation / shifting works, I'm afraid. Another huge factor is, there is a lot of engineering cost to move the process to another node and wasn't that NVIDIA reason to use the Sammy's node in the first place because it was cheaper? I'll still say that this story is BS and only a fake HOPE watercooler nonsense for a pissing contest for hope because many NVIDIA fanboys really fear Big Navi arrival.

Time will tell soon enough, that's for sure without all the back and forwards.

12. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I thought Nvidia went with Samsung because TSMC didn´t have enough capacity for Nvidia to fulfill their requested demand, is this going to change in the future??? Or maybe Nvidia is going to move Ampere production to Intel´s fabs?!:eek::D

Anyway, everything seems to confirm serious problems with Samsung´s 8nm process and now Nvidia has to come up with some solution...

13. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Ampere in Intel fabs...now that's entertainment...
    Seems like the Samsung oven where leather jacket man was baking his cards just went up in flames(allegedly)...
    It was a wrong decision for the start and things went from bad to severely fu..ed up in an instant.
    Well, better late than never...

14. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    I am glad I am not in the market for a GPU right now.

So much chaos.

15. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    Pretty sure there were also rumours Turing was moving to 7nm at that time.

16. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Big diference was / is that turing was not exactly in high demand, and there was ample supply of it from TSMC, unlike the current situation with ampere.

17. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    All those millions of money sitting in enthusiasts bank accounts that Jensen had his eye on, will now, before Christmas, be going into AMD Lisa bank account instead...

The €900 I could have bought an RTX 3080 with, will now most likely be buying a Ryzen 5950X with. Too bad Nvidia. You fXcked up.

18. Lily GFX

Lily GFX Member Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3090 Xtreme
    The source of this Digitimes news seems to be removed now :>

19. slayer6288

slayer6288 Active Member

GPU:
    2080 TI
    just your typical click bait bs article

20. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    3000 series are good cards but damn this launch is a complete and utter disaster.

First they lied about the performance,
    they then paper launched the cards,
    the cards become sold out and turn into gold dust thanks to scalpers and just overall low inventory,
    then we had the POSCAP fiasco for third party cards,
    drivers to fix crashing and limit boost clocks had to be released,
    AIB's begin to scalp their own cards in order to rip off their own customers (nvidia should of cut ties with them instantly!),
    Nvidia gives up and changes release of 3070
    Nvidia gives up again and cuts sales of all cards and only sells through best buy!!
    Nvidia gives up again and is now looking to move fab to a different company and node!

Did I miss anything?

AMD if you screw this up now there is something seriously wrong with you!