Will ASUS not Support Series 400 Chipsets and Ryzen 5000 processors?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Seems like Asus is having trouble selling 500 series boards?

southamptonfc likes this.
  2. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I'd never buy A$u$ again after the problems me and my friend had with our B450 boards, so this is just a nail in the coffin. Other brands like MSI make so much better products with miles better support, I ain't spending anymore of my money on Asus.

3. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7700 XT
    Funny, it's been the other way around with me. Bought my first MSI motherboard two years ago, but started having boot issues out of nowhere after a year. Had to RMA it. Got an Asus B450 instead and zero problems ever since.

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    This is stupid logic. Everyone has different budgets, if someone has a $550 budget for an upgrade and not a penny more then they can (if they want to) purchase a 5900X. That same CPU could easily be supported on their B450 motherboard, a purchase they made with the belief that the socket and chipset would be supported and if in fact going to be supported by other vendors. Saying that someone has to spend their own money a certain way is none of your or anyone else's concern. Someone could be buying a top end CPU for it to last them 5-8 years, its an investment for them just like a motherboard is also an investment especially when told it will be supported.

This is nothing more than greed by ASUS trying to force people to upgrade to support the new CPU's when they could easily provide support.

This whole, "well if they can afford this then they can obviously afford that" train of thought it dumb and needs to stop. Some people have the scrimp and save for weeks, months, or even years to be able to afford the luxuries they want to enjoy.

AsiJu likes this.

5. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    don't get why you buy asus for in the 1st place
    I downloaded and studied Z390 Z490 X570 TRX40 motherboards manuals from all the best brands and ASUS always was very quickly dismissed
    they are the king of the "bs" useless features with awful bandwith sharing and poor PCB layout

- MSI are layout kings best placement for x1 pcie slots (not completely useless above or under the freaking gpu slot) and M.2 slots (their main/least bandwith shared one is usually at the bottom where it's the coolest not again under your stupid hot 350watts gpu)
    - Asrock bios is absolutely great for Intels, even Builzoid says you have access to too much stuff, but it's finnicky with memory sticks (not the only brand)

6. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    meh, who cares.

At this stage....with the 5k series..you dont gain that much compared to 3k, BUT if youre doing it might as well go PCIe 4.0 all the way.

7. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    My friend had to RMA his board once (TUF B450 Pro) and the second board broke again. Now happy with a B450 Tomahawk and his CPU score is even higher than mine now! My TUF B450M Pro had the internet connection lost for some time but is holding so far.

We both have Asus Dual RX580 4gb and the bitch has coil whine like I never heard. Thankfully undervolting (-125mV) and underclocking (30hz) helps a ton to keep it silent and happy.

I'll definitely go MSI for motherboard and try Sapphire for GPU next upgrade.

8. bonomork

bonomork Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 6800XT
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  9. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    you only say this because you haven't been "p0wned" by that mistake yet, like you say it's a luxury..not something you need to have, buying the best you can "barely" afford never ends well
    when something breaks you'll be completely screwed it's a mistake you usually only make once

10. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Asus .... plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz. I hope that twitter is right.

11. NightWind

NightWind Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG 2060 Super
    Sounds promising indeed.

ip.JPG

Tim24 and AsiJu like this.
  12. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    What kind of news item is this? Then the reactions to it...as much a cluster frak as the Ampere launch. AMD has specifically stated that the firmware for the 400 series is coming in January. MSI has their MAX branding board that is going to be supported yet no mention from MSI about their 400 series boards being supported. Companies cannot state what boards will be supported without code in hand allowing them to do so. Has everyone also forgotten that AMD stated such support would be in the form of a BETA bios and that it was a one way trip there is no flashing previous bios versions after. Why would any company state anything in this day and age about supporting anything when they do not have in hand what is needed to do so? This is not even a none news item. It is just straight up verbal murmurings conjured up from the sewers and masquerades as news.

Why would anyone need to have a Twitter posting as proof...sad...just plain sad.

AsiJu likes this.
  13. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    thats just some help desk guy reading his pamphlet on what to reply X question

can't imagine the person in charge being too eager to update that answer to something he was very opposed to

and its somewhat accurate for the target audience, answer is NO until sometime in 2021, maybe, for lucky boards+cpu combos***

14. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    Not surprised... They did simillar things when there were intel vulnerability problems, they didn't provide bios updates for some old top motherboards. And they were the only ones doing so... Greedy bastards.

15. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Asus have premium price but exept realy high end motherboard, the company is no more premium and is no more inovative as in the past.

Undying likes this.

16. ArtKursis

ArtKursis Member

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim
    Undying likes this.
  17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Says the owner of a 3090 *cough*

Btw about dropping support for older procs in BIOS, ASRock already did it with Zen 2 and X370 mobos, at least.

When the first BIOS with 1003AB AGESA was released, it clearly stated "won't support xxx .... due to ROM size limitation".

So it has been done and I agree should be done where possible.

18. Morax

Morax Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Suprim X
    Since my current X470 Asus board is still receiving BIOS updates occasionally I wasn't THAT worried (just a little bit), that they wouldn't include support.

I never had issues with Asus boards (the actual hardware) at all. It's just that their support isn't always extending as long as one would like. Especially when a board gets a revision, the earlier version is often dropped.

MSI is fine too, but less robust (in my personal experience). Never tried Gigabyte or Asrock. Had a Biostar a LONG time ago...

Maybe not a lot, but they existed: I had an Asus Sabertooth 990FX, AM3+ board, and it did have the fancy BIOS GUI, the MSI 890FXA-GD70 (Regular AM3) I had before that, did not.

19. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    I got your point, but that it's not this way.

20. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.