Intel Could Fight off AMD Ryzen 5000 just based on lower prices

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Customers are about to face a decade of terrible economy and probably hardship in many if not all the countries. Throwing less money in their hobbies will be important. AMD should know that.

Valken likes this.
  2. rawad

rawad Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080TI
    from what i remember the production cost of the CPU for AMD is lower than Intel's so they can drop prices if needed.
    for me i bought my 3700x for the same price i used to buy Intel but got much more value for the money, and since Intel had a monopol for quiet some time i don't mind AMD bumping prices a little when they have the edge, Intel prices were much higher than this when they had no competition and AMD does not even have half the budget intel does, so they will obviously try to get some good margins to expand later on.
    since the 5800x is bringing some significant improvement to single thread performance i might upgrade, the ease of upgrade with my x570 Aorus Master contributes to this as well and i appreciate the fact that unlike intel i don't have to buy a new mobo.
    i wonder if new Ram kits with lower latencies will be coming out on November.

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Knowing Intel they'll just raise prices instead, considering how high up their own asses they've been since 2006. If AMD didn't make a comeback we'd still be on $500 quad cores and anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. And we'd have at least 4 less +'s on 14nm++++++X+Y++.

carnivore, Silva, AsiJu and 1 other person like this.
  4. beedoo

beedoo Member Guru

GPU:
    6900XT Liquid Devil
    Good luck with that. 'Intel go overboard with the cuts and lawyers will be all over them for anti-competitive behavior.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Good luck proving that. Lat time, price was not problem either. Problem was basically in industry level bribery/lockdown/threats.

6. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Am uninterested full stop since my first ever Intel core 2 duo died after 6 Weeks and I was brushed off have never bought from Intel ever again

7. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    We dont say Bribes or commissions any more or even volume discounts, instead we say rebates and product development partnerships, an Intel is a very old hand at that one witness the slow Ryz (sorry had too!) of the AMD laptop chips with the still in many cases gimped specs for screens etc

8. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    This is nice , actually amazing . INTEL an budget option , what a time ... what a time.

9. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    What's the news when RIGHT NOW i5 10400 is 180 eur ? ( cheaper than R5 3600).

10400 beating 3600 , and right now its cheaper :)

Valken and AlmondMan like this.
  10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    3600 is still cheaper around 160eur and have 12threads. Its a no brainer.

11. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Not in my country it is not . 3600 is more expensive and slower thats the fact , AMD prices went up last months 10-20% , it's almost silly , i spoke with local shop and they say they sell much more intel right now as they are available and cheaper .

I got my 3300x for 130 eur that was steal. now it costs 180 eur. AMD prices are off the market right now , and thats big no no , i was planing to get 5600X but the price is just wrong on many levels , Intel performance/price ratio is just better now.

12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    The 10700KA and Strix-F board is a combo right now for $590. Sorry your not getting that price at launch with AMD. I’d personally still take the AMD system because Intel has damaged its reputation with me and they are in time-out. For how long I have no idea. My 9900KF will not be replaced with another Intel system.

Alder lake may be that chip end of next year start of 2022. Rocket lake ain’t it and we aren’t getting Tiger lake on desktop.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  13. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    However apparently 5600X is faster than the 10700K
    https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-5-56...-core-gaming-ryzen-5-5600-2021-220-usd-rumor/

14. labidas

labidas Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    Intel is now the underdog. Go Intel!

15. deksman2

deksman2 Member

GPU:
    RX 580 4GB (mobile)
    If you bought AMD for your last 2 builds, why waste money on Intel?
    If one of those two systems has a B450 mobo at least, chances are you can just upgrade the CPU and minimize the overall cost with a simple BIOS update... whereas with Intel, you usually have no such option and would need to spend money on upgrading your ENTIRE system (as opposed to a single component).

16. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    My first Ryzen was a 1600 and it was brilliant its still doing service in a Neighbours sons Bedroom PC after a deal on a box of Wine and a SFF case!
    Brought it back to me for a upgrade on the Graphics to a 5700xt and with a gigabyte A320 and 16gb 3000 ram and NVME its still a proper little firecracker of a system

17. deksman2

deksman2 Member

GPU:
    RX 580 4GB (mobile)
    People are exaggerating the price increase AMD put.
    It's a $50 increase across the entire product stack... not 50% increase.
    At most, the biggest increase in prices comes from the mid-segment (5600x) which accounts for about 20% (over the 3600x).
    At the top end (consumer-wise), the 5950x cost increased by 6.5% compared to 3950x.

Overall, the price hike I think is not bad and justifiable for AMD (especially given the performance increase people are getting for it).

Seriously, when was the last time Intel offered 20% price increase for an equal increase in IPC?
    Their simpler revisions of CPU's over the past 3 years alone have seen price hikes with 0 IPC increases and majority of the performance coming from higher clocks and massive power expenditure.

Also, prices will probably come down within 3 to 6 months anyway...
    Besides, Intel doesn't have an answer to majority of those products when it comes to multi-core performance.

Should AMD be cheaper than Intel?
    Possibly, but they are a corporation (just like Intel) and will be looking to make a profit. Still, I have to say the price increase isn't THAT bad.

carnivore, HandR, AsiJu and 2 others like this.
  18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  19. deksman2

deksman2 Member

GPU:
    RX 580 4GB (mobile)
    It is indeed, but depending on the motherboard your neighbour son's PC has, you could update the BIOS and depending on the manufacturer support, you could probably upgrade the CPU to 3600x or 3700x... and if Gigabyte releases another BIOS update for Zen 3, then definitely upgrade to that (in about 6 months when the prices go down).

20. deksman2

deksman2 Member

GPU:
    RX 580 4GB (mobile)
    Intel is simply not worth it if you ask me.
    Outdated manufacturing process, large power draw (aka inefficient due to very high clocks Intel is pushing on an older node) and not quite as good performance-wise (especially in multi-threading).

Besides, if a person already has an AMD system with a proper mobo, chances are they can upgrade to Zen 3 assuming their mobo manufacturer provided the needed BIOS.

Undying likes this.