Looking for new phone, need help

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Ricepudding, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hey, so i'm currently using a LG V30 as my main phone right now, and its amazing and doing wonders, however the battery is starting to get old. Still gets me through the day but it used to last me mutiple days. Not constantly on it.

Been looking into new phones and what to get, the S20 interested me till i found out it wont have snapdragon for europe and get the worse CPU (least based on previous models of samsung anyway). Happy to wait for new ones but if anyone has any recomendations that would be great.

Did look into the LG V60, but in some ways feels worse or might feel like i'm just getting the same phone though the massive increase in battery does look nice on paper but don't know if i want something fresh like the Xperia 1.

Benjamin Fazzio and ibrar like this.
  2. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Samsung is good, but you have to live with a real shtload of unneeded apps. My S5 (pretty old, I know) just received its 2nd battery and works like new. Downside is I cannot play current games with it (but I dont anyway, just a bit of Solitaire and Skat and stuff) becuase the GPU is too old / bad.
    The S8 of my wife has no exchangable battery anymore and after 2 years of usage shows signs of the battery dying slowly (battery drain from 35% to 5% is really fast compared to battery above 35%!). GPU is still able to play most games (she doesnt play high demanding games, but a lot of those "flash like games" like Candy Crush and stuff, some are really heavy on resources).

I wanted to change my S5 for an LG G8 (either G8s or G8 or G8x but without 2nd screen) because it is pretty cheap, has 6GB RAM and 128GB "disk" with the latest Adreno 640 GPU, so no game should worry me again for some years. Together with Gorilla Glass and all other vital functions like 802.11ac, BT / NFC, good cam with OIS, etc. it is a pretty good phone I would say. The same GPU is built into the new ASUS ROG Phone 2 (currently about 679 Euros retail!) but it costs only half (about 349 Euros for G8s, about 449 Euros for G8x) and doesnt have all this bling-bling ...

Otherwise I eyed for some Honor 20, but the features drove me off, as you can get at least the same or more with the G8s. And the Honor 20 has no MicroSD slot ...

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Pixel 3a.
    Best camera budget phone and closest pure Android experience, minus the bloat.
    If I will change my actual phone, that pixel 3a is what I would get and recommend.

4. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I'm not too worried about price, till it gets to a point as i often want them to last 3 or more years... could try and get another battery but don't know how hard that is to do with old phones cause they seal them shut now. Games i don't do on mobile, its more for social media, news, browsing and streaming (semi basic if you will) for me i guess it might be the level of endurance the phone has. Why the Asus Rog phone 2 looked crazy with its 6000 mah battery. NO SD slot can be an issue i guess depending on how big the internal memory is.

Don't really touch Apple, not my style and enjoy andriod and how free is it to do certain things if i choose too.

5. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I was looking at the Pixel 2 when it came out instead of my phone, however at the time i wanted a headphone jack... Gone away from that now and gave up that battle since its hard to find phones with them now. Only thing that worries me about the Pixel line-up is the battery life is not as good as others, i often want high endurance due to streaming a lot of videos

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I have the Huawei P30 and the battery is great, easily lasts a couple days with moderate usage, get around 8 hours SoT

386SX likes this.
  7. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Sad they don't make Black Phones anymore. For the time they were released they were top notch, custom Android and came with secure services to encrypt calls or messages and more of this stuff. It really appealed to me, but as I said they don't make these anymore nor is there anyone relatable in this field. And for today's tech they are pretty underpowered with quadcore and 32GB.

While I don't mind paying good money for something I want to get something in return, that's why I don't like Apple neither, or any other overpriced brand or model. That's why I recommended the G8s, because I was looking for a new one and this one had / has all the stuff to have a good experience I would say. And G8 or G8x are basically G8s with "something on top". ;)

8. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

Think there is a G9 out soon, will have to have a look out for that, feel like LG don't get as much love as they should. I love the V30, had it for 2 and a half years now, but the battery is the issue and it is starting to go bad, reckon i might get another year from it but after that it might need charging couple times a day which i don't really want. Not to bothered about phone colors mind you, i often strap on a heavy duty case for protection, used to need it for work, now i just kinda like that bulky feel

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My Pixel 3A hasn't been fully charged since Tuesday night..... It's now Friday night and it's about to die....lol It was plugged in for 10-15 minutes Thursday. Longest I've had to leave it plugged in was 45 minutes so far....and that was from 5% battery

The Pixel 3A has a headphone jack.

I switched from an LG G7 ThinQ due to battery life, product support and overall user experience. My G7 ThinQ was only updated to Android 9 in August 2019. A full year behind.... Before the update to Android 9, I could easily get 2 days out of the battery. After the update, it was a struggle to get even 1 day. Most of the time, the phone was on the charger on my way home from work. It was usually at 25-35% remaining after 10 hours of essentially just sitting in my pocket.... My Pixel 3A, is usually around 75% remaining after 18 hours. My phone is constantly switching between wifi and 4G, playing music over bluetooth headphones and browsing news articles. My G7 ThinQ had become very laggy since the update to Android 9. My Pixel 3A, though having a slower SoC, responds much faster and the UI is very fluid.

When LG starts to support their products properly.....or at least as well as Samsung does....they'll get the "love" you think they should. Given that they basically ignored the G7 ThinQ....they're kinda getting what they deserve. LG isn't a small company, but their product support is among the worst in the industry. They aren't the same company they were a few years ago...

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  10. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

Maybe the 3A is better than the Pixel 4 in terms of battery? I will have to take a further look into that, maybe the 4A when it comes out could be a good contender of what i could get. Shame about your G7, the V30 got more love i felt, got quite a lot of updates though i believe they have stopped now minus a few secruity ones, that said updates arent always good things which is why i am not too bothered about them. I want to love Samsung, just feel bitter than i'd be paying more money with a worse Soc inside, if it was a snapdragon 865, then that'd be great but every test i see show the snapdragon crushing it. So Samsung sadly dont get my love when they are screwing over europe and charging them too.

11. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hi. Thanks for the reply, though this was asked back in February haha. I ended up getting the new Sony Xperia 1 Mark 2 phone, as I seemed to fit all the right boxes for what I wanted. And got a very good deal for it

ibrar likes this.
  12. behumble

behumble Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070S/8GB
    Now that you've had your Xperia for a while, what are your thoughts? Also, for others I'd like to suggest the Oppo Find X2 pro. Even though Oppo might not be as popular as other brands like samsung or LG, They still pack a heavy punch and will easily compete with the latest devices. This device has amazing, top notch features . Here is a summary : Dimensions: 165.2 x 74.4 x 8.8/9.5mm | OS: Android 10 | Screen size: 6.7-inch | Resolution: 1440 x 3168 | CPU: Snapdragon 865 | RAM: 12GB | Storage: 256/512GB | Battery: 4,260mAh | Rear camera: 48MP, 13MP, 48MP |Front camera: 32MP.

13. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Using OnePlus for several gens now, really happy with them. Great experience for every price point.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Got rid of my P30 and got an S20 Ultra, good to be back with Samsung amazing phone, but dropped it and cracked the screen (Just the glass, still looks and works fine), gonna cost £280 to repair.... had a case on it too and only fell from pocket height

15. Night Hope

Night Hope Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 8GB
    Xiaomi Note 10 good grab

16. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    note 20 ultra korean version does the bands ok for you ?

17. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    I have been away from Android for 3 years now. Switched to Apple's iphone 7 to look at what all the fuss was about. I am not ever going back. Even beeing an old phone, it still runs great for day to day activities. The only thing I am missing is the Windows / Android integration. Too bad.

18. NightWind

NightWind Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG 2060 Super
    Here's a happy Galaxy M series owner, in case you don't want to spend too much money and battery/screen time is important there are 6000 and 7000 mAh models available. Good luck with your purchase.

19. Benjamin Fazzio

Benjamin Fazzio Member

GPU:
    AMD RX550 4GB
    If you are on a budget, Alcate'ls CAMEOx would be a good choice (or a ZIP LTE, double your ram and storage)
    [​IMG]
    Alcatel CAMEOx

[​IMG]
    Alcatel ZIP LTE

I see that you are using a V30 as your main, in that price bracket, a Moto G6 or G7 will better in every
    way

[​IMG]
    Moto G7 Optimo

Or if you are ready to go to the mainstream flagships with 5G, OnePlus 8 Pro is it
    [​IMG]
    OnePlus 8 Pro

I hope my information will help, happy hunting!

Loobyluggs likes this.
  20. Fraser89

Fraser89 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050TI
    I am using LG V60 for the last 4 months and it is working great.