ASUS Announces BIOS Updates for Zen 3

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    Dont get your hopes up.Im still trying to find a 3300x after months of looking.Its almost like AMD stopped making them?

2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    That's true, they're not even listed on newegg.

3. Diegos

Diegos Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2070
  4. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    It depends what BIOS they're shipped with and if the retailer you buy from has this new stock.

This board has USB flashback so you just need a flash drive and you're good to go updating it yourself.

5. Morax

Morax Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Suprim X
    They seem to have had a limited availability here in the Netherlands, but now they're listed as an overpriced (€170,- instead of €129,- which was the initial price here) 12+ days delivery item, in which case the fully available 3600X would be a better choice...

6. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    I ran my SB ZX Flawlessly on my previous and very old Z97 setup wondering why everyone was having all these crazy issues. Then I bought an Auros X570 Pro and BANG! I had all of it...I was so frustrated. Well I don’t know about ASUS but GB has Spread Spectrum not only available but on by default. Guess what sound cards don’t like? “Shifting bus speeds”. That setting is so outdated I was shocked it was there and even more infuriated it was on. Off and Daniel Ks latest driver for good measure and it’s totally back to normal.

7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I feel like i read somewhere that all 5000 series cpus will be drop in ready on any bios version of the 500 series motherboards, BUT that to get the most stable and complete experience, you will want to update the bios.

I could be wrong but i am fairly certain i have read this information multiple times.

8. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    If that's true why the table?

9. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    I know if they don't update my CH VII x470 it will be my last Asus board I ever buy or anything else for that matter. For what I paid for it they better but obviously not holding my breath..

10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I mean they state all their 500 series are compatible but it could just be a table of what bios is best for the 5000 series.

11. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    My GB X570 is currently on 1.0.8.1 which is latest official AGESA update that apparently can “run it” but 1.1.0.0 is the “official” Zen3 BiOS

12. IceZero09

IceZero09 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 4GB
    I've never heard of these issues? What exactly happens? I've got a Crosshair 8 Hero that I planned to use a Creative AE-5 sound card with when I put that system together. Am I going to have issues?

Edit : Also, most of Gigabyte's X570 MBs have the smaller BIOS and they will be getting the Zen 3 updates, so it shouldn't be anything to do with the BIOS size if your MB gets Zen 3 support or not.

I hope Asus releases a beta BIOS for the X370 Crosshair 6 MBs as I don't see why a really high end board like that can't support Zen 3.

13. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Just read my fix if you have a problem I assure you it will solve it.

14. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Chances are, you are fine. It may not affect every x570 board/AE card, but I've found numerous threads regarding these soundcard issues, and most seem to involve the x570 chipset. I recently found a thread that claimed the realtek network card/driver is causing the problem. I tested this out and it does seem to fix it. Removing realtek driver/disabling network card. 2 days so far, so good.

Channel swapping: It happens when using 5.1 sound. (2.0 works, AFAIK) The sound that should be going to say, the left front, goes to the rear right, and vice versa. It isn't always those speakers. It shifts around. Restarting PC will fix it for a few minutes, but it comes back to stay. Affects gaming, music and watching movies/video.

15. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Spread Spectrum..Spund cards need ASIO lock its not allowing it. I have had lengthy arguments with AMD staff as to why this antiquated setting is present and on by default when it’s usage is so specific and unnecessary on modern hardware.. Open CPUZ and look at your RAM and BUS speeds just off a few MHz that’s Spread Spectrum. Wanna read up on it? Well here’s an article from 2008....
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/2500/20

16. IceZero09

IceZero09 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 4GB
    Thanks. So just disable Spread Spectrum if I have this issue? What is that setting used for anyway? Why do MB manufacturers have it on by default?

17. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    It’s very old so believe me I was very shckeD coming back from Intel to AMDs latest and greatest and find that preset an amazing n by default.
    What it’s purpose is to prevent interference when machines ge5 close together all at identical frequencies causing interference. Spread a
    Spectrum oscillates your frequencies slightly hence not being able to be n the same frequency of f another machine
    Now can you as a home user ever see a situation like may happen?
    Fine have rhe setting present for that edge case user but OFf unless irs actually requested.
    I am in direct contact with AMD Staff and have had multiple arguments with no logical explanation why it’s even there and worse on. Besides affecting sound card s attempting any overclock will never actually be stable or the frequency you’ve set it too.
    Sorry for the thorough explanation but it’s. Huge issue I have with AMD It’s only harming them when crashes from borderline RAN timings are pushed over by this but it’s Ryzen us fussy with RAM or this kit doesn’t work right.

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Spread spectrum is used to reduce the maximum EM wave power emitted at certain frequencies by spreading the power over a spectrum of frequencies (by using those frequencies instead), then none of them are overly strong in power.
    This is so a PC can pass emissions laws in countries that have them.
    It only has to be capable of passing the laws, not permanently be set to do so.
    It might even be useful if you are overclocking to the max and there is some instability caused by EM waves. It depends on the reason and cause of the problem.

Using spread spectrum supposedly causes the PC to run a little slower but I've never tested it to verify and not heard of anyone complain about it.

19. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    And it will absolutely screw up any decent audio device connected to bus requiring even the basic ASIO instructions.they require absolute precision timings Spread Spectrum makes it impossible to function properly There hundreds of threads with identical issues and many solutions proposed to try to fix them even Daniel K has stepped in to try to help. With “AM4” Issues
    http://danielkawakami.blogspot.com/
    There’s nothing with anything on a hardware level at all it’s that setting making the core functions impossible these are just home users and enthusiast devices Professional devices are even more sensitive and more precise any fluctuations of any type are the highest priority to avoid. Line conditioners and other devices are literally industry standards for any studio to literally prevent an absolutely immeasurable deviations even from the electricity powering everything.

Bottom line, fine the setting can be pressnt for the narrow use cases but it should be OFF unless irs needed for the unique situation is was designed for...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It figures, spread spectrum produces a large spread of frequencies, some could have negative effects.
    High spec audio systems are sensitive, extremely at the high end. PCs are not the best place to put one!
    I'm an audio nut but have never left spread spectrum on so havent encountered issues due to it.
    I only use external DACs now but even USB ports can reduce clarity believe it or not.
    On my current mobo (Maximus VIII Hero), if I use a USB 3.0 port, a ton of detail is lost. I'm forced to use USB 2.0 only and am worried what will happen when I next upgrade my CPU/mobo.