AMD Ryzen 5000 (ZEN3) announcement thread

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Biffo

Biffo Active Member

GPU:
    ati
    When is Threadripper due?

2. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    With how good the current offerings are and how delayed the X299 successors are, they hardly need to rush these out.

3. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700

Completely agree with this. Team '1080p with medium settings' is completely set for a very long time. Toss in a new mid-range GFX card every 2 or so years and you will be very happy with your setup.

4. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    You are probably right and certainly right if we count 2022 mid-range GPUs.

5. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Exciting times and like many Haswell owners here, we are itching to get up to 8 cores or more.

But the 5800X and MB pricing is pushing it into Intel territory in terms of value. There needs to be a combo price drop. As many said, we may as well get the 5900X...

Price per core, the 5900x is best, then 5600x / 5950x, then 5800x... WTF...

Maybe that was the game all along... the Amazon marketing way to just "buy" a tier higher for better "value".

Edit --- I forgot about the "binning" process so maybe the 5900 is really a good 5800 + crap 4 core CCD that failed binning? We have to wait for reviews....

Also, this is the LAST AM4 DDR4 platform so the upgrade path is going to close.

I am unsure if DDR5 MB will allow older CPUs to work later.

But I will wait for CPU and the 6xxx GPU series benchmarks before I plunge in. If RTRT performance is good, AMD GPU will be my next buy.

I might skip the CPU and just the 6900 GPU +4K OLED or VR Goggle instead since that will be where all the performance will be held back.

Unless ARMA 4 comes out and it needs a 12-16 core beast to run it...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  6. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    About the same level as Moore's Law is Dead.

7. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    Looking more closely at the VRM performance on my crappy board sees the temps, when moved from an open test bench, about 80-81c for the 3900x at stock, which seems OK? With the 5900x supposedly having the same TDP and overall power characteristics as the 3900x I might take a chance on the 5900x. One thing is for sure, if the CPU goes in, I won't want to be taking it out because I've never successfully removed a large HSF from a PGA socket without ripping out the CPU, and it wasn't from a lack of being careful.

crappy board.PNG

edit

As an aside; what do people see in these utterly infuriating YouTubers with their ridiculous facial expressions, frenetic editing style and pure clickbait 'headlines'. I will never understand their appeal. :/

8. Causese

Causese Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    AMD claiming best single-core performing CPU is a bit wild considering that it's only the case while boosting. the thing is you'd want an all-core OC for most games and a boost for specific games that are optimized for single core like world of warcraft. Intel makes it less awkward to have both. AMD needs to improve ryzen master to adjust OC based on the game / game's optimization. Turbo for single core games and all-core oc for others...

9. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    The claim on single core best performance is benchmark based bullshit.
    cpu-z or cinebench.

For games you can't really start to optimize based on executable. Games will load the processor with what they need in that moment, not otherwise. If your game and os combination and background software is using all cores, you will get what the cpu can give you at that load level.

10. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    I dont get it these CPUs are years ahead of Intel yet your complaining that its at the same price point!
    Why not its a better product in every way possible, if Intel had produced this CPU no doubt it would be getting hailed as a breakthrough of EPYC(see what I did there) proportions yet because its an AMD folks expect it to be the "value" platform, its obvious from the comments many make that they will stick with the old Intel stuff they have until hell freezes over or until Intel sorts out its CPUs and drags itself into the modern day, just remember those 4 cores you had as a max 3 Years ago until Zen launched and then take a look at the current CPUs available am typing this on a 16 core CPU think about that 16 cores, in what universe do you think Intel would have made that available to a consumer market if AMD had not forced their hand, so we have an AMD platform that has the highest single core and multicore performance, PCIE 4 and backwards compatability to previous gen Motherboards all in a 105w TDP yet it should still be cheaper than Intel?
    Cmon

11. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    No you are being ridicolous.
    4c/8t was 350 to 400 to consumer 3 years ago, now is around 120.
    8c/16t, double like 3700x/ is still around 300-350 now.
    And to get to higher core count 12 and 16, you do not need to move to a professional platform.

So prices went down enough.

Now before you wouldn't even dream of a 16 core cpu in your computer, and now that you can see it on amazon you would want it at a lower price.

The 3000 serie is not going away immedialtely and prices will go down too on that range of CPUs.

suty455 likes this.
  12. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    But Intels Benchmarks are ok ? Even when they install an off screen cooler to just be at the top, and when the CEO sends out a pathetic blog the Day before the competition launches effectively saying "please dont forget us we have something launching next year"
    You can take a Horse to Water......

Richard Nutman likes this.
  13. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I m saying that claiming best single core performance is bullshit, both side.
    Benchmarks are not performances that user care of.
    Every cpu will excel in some computational load, and that's it.

Also to people shocked by the evil price increase, i suppose those extra 50$ will go away, as soon as the 3000 serie warehouse is completely cleared out.
    First 2 months and xmas those prices will go up, of course.

The 3600X is still a great product and dirty cheap, when the 3000 serie is no more, those will go back to today prices.

14. EngEd

EngEd Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Soon time for MSI Tomahawk x570 + 5900x and some 3600Mhz G.skill memory to go with my RTX 3080. I am upgrading from 4790K which is currently running smooth at 4.8Ghz on all 4 cores. So for me it will be first time going back to AMD since I left AMD for Intels Core2Duo :)

Maddness likes this.
  15. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    Just realize there's no 5700X

16. Nictron

Nictron Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 3070 Dual OC
    Something tells me that they will be binning all 5Ghz boost capable Zen3 5000 Series CPU for the XT variants.

Well done AMD great work over the years and hope the teams are well rewarded with emphasis to keep going. Let's hope the accountants and shareholders do not ruin their progress from here.

17. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Far away! Frame Chasers does actually know something about hardware, and are actually testing hardware. Did you see the video?
    Moore's Law is Dead is just talking around and assuming things :p

18. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I kinda don't get the pricing complaints. It's 50$ more expensive than the last gen, while there is basically no competition for it. I mean it might seem like a significant jump if you compare it to something like 3700x, which was just amazing price, but there is no equivalent product for 5000 series.

Personally, while this looks great, I will definitely skip it and wait for DDR5. That 3700x is absolutely going to last me that long.

Turanis likes this.
  19. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    I will replace my Asrock x570 taichi with Asus x570 Dark Hero for the new 5k series cpu. Going to test 5800x 8 core and 5950x 16core.

20. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    5800x 8 core has the "same" performance as 2 years old 9900k, so the price is a bit high I think. If you are upgrading from a "ancient" plattform, it will be ok :)