PlayStation 5 Teardown: up-close and personal , console uses liquid metal TIM

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    As easy as they come off I’m gonna paint mine if I get one.
    Well the good thing about that is that the standard SSD appears to remain and the additional M.2 drive will add to the total which is cool.

Maddness likes this.
  2. I'm crackin up that was like the same thing goin through my head too... I looked up at the video and thought "woah that's one small engineer!" Great Scot!

geogan likes this.
  3. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Being all on the same die has its own advantage, and the yelds problems is not a sony problem.
    Is just an AMD problem.
    So with one die you get probably more performance for fast interconnect, you have only one ram connection to care about, you have one surface to cool, is just better.

4. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    I like what I so a good solid cooling solution and the posibility to mod the side panels as we like. Or if someone still hears some noise from the fan they can always remove the side panels and you have also a smaller console :).
    Still it seems that PS5 has a better cooling vs Xbox. I'm curios what you think about it guy's.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    What does certified 1GB PCIe 4.0 x4 NVMe which reads at least 7GB/s costs? (PS5)
    IIRC, only one available at this moment is Samsung 980 Pro 1TB with MSRP $230.

Sure, XSX's storage is slower, but when I look outside of this forum to Average Joe who will not want to remove cover from PS5 to install NVMe...
    https://www.seagate.com/consumer/play/storage-expansion-for-xbox-series-x/#features
    Replace all inner parts with plexi glass replicas and put smoke through it. That's only way to know if airflow is any good.

PS5 uses blower and airflow has complex pathing. XSX uses one traditional fan and airflow seems rather simple.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  6. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    Still XSX devs by me had a problem to fix (I think): temps are higher in XSX just because the PCB is small and all parts are more together. Also i don't like the fact that the fan is above the console, and when it stops (especially if you live in a dusty environment) all the dust comes down, going by the fan inside the console.

7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I am not touching either of these consoles until i see them in the hands of unscripted third party reviewers, i got burned by the xbox 360 rrod and i got burned by the Pro useless cooling, and in both cases no one found this stuff out until they were launched, so fool me on.....fool me twice and that was their last chance, so show me the receipts first then we can talk. ;)

8. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    One thing I REALLY love about Sony and most Japanese companies is their designs are pure artwork compared to others, including American companies like Microsoft. I think Apple really embraces this.

That PS5 is just beautiful to look at from an engineering and design aspect.

The new consoles are really awesome in terms of engineering.

Now IF only any of them can run Windows or even Linux in a VMWare session, I would get one for both work and play for the price.

Just add KB, Mouse and display and maybe VR goggles.

9. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    First, my case does stop most dust going in. Just the finer stuff actually goes in.
    Second, my GPU is not enclosed in a sealed box. I can take her out of the computer and dust her with a brush and compressed air.
    Lastly, you can't open the PS5 to clean without voiding your warranty, I doubt blowing through the holes would clean anything.

A simple mesh before the fan can avoid most large particles to get in, and as shown in the video, could be easily cleaned. Even my cheap PC case has a cheap mesh before the PSU fan, I clean it once a year and it's full of lint wile my PSU is fine inside.

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    The internet is undefeated.

Undying likes this.
  12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    It is a Sony problem. Sony contracted AMD to design the chip and probably pays them a certain percentage of all chips sold, but otherwise AMD doesn't have much to do with it beyond that. It is up to Sony and TSMC to figure out what to do with the defects.

The thing is, a single die doesn't necessarily have to improve anything here if, in a multi-die setup, the chips are hard-wired to only have a single configuration. It's not like the CPU, GPU, IO, memory controller, PCIe controller, etc are all inseparable; they're basically just connected to each other by wires at a microscopic scale. I don't think a millimeter or two of separation would make that big of a difference in performance.

But... it is known that TSMC has good yields Maybe Sony figures whatever losses occur is worth junking the whole chip.

13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    The closer they are to each other the less latency is induced. This is critical for software such as games. Also this is on the TSMC 7nm process not 7p or 7nm EUV. It’s standard 7nm which TSMC has basically perfected.

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm aware, but I really don't think there's going to be a human-perceptible difference in latency with 1-2mm of separation.

15. WAR76

WAR76 Member

GPU:
    3080 Strix OC
    again, no optical? why?

16. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Sony hate soundbars?

17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Most sound bars now use ARC.
    Wait why would you plug a sound bar into the console. Most would plug the TV into the bar and the console into the TV. The TV is now the pass through.

18. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    There's still plenty of cheaper soundbars without HDMI.

Not sure really. Perhaps if you're using a monitor.

19. Tsenng

Tsenng Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080 AMP

You were specifically talking about how hard it was to access the HEATSINK on the ps5. Pretty sure you screw your warranty on your graphics card getting to the heatsink.. You need to unmount the whole fan-shroud AKA voiding your warranty. What kind of weird point is it asking for dust filters when not a single console ever has had one and lived on happily it's whole life :p

Fox2232 likes this.
  20. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    The teardown of the PS5 was awesome site to see. It is very easy to get to the NVME SSD slot for expansion storage.

The one issue that I have with liquid metal is that we really don't know the shelf life of it like for example we don't know how long it lasts like in terms of its performance. I have seen some YouTube tech videos on Liquid metal. Gamers Nexus had some good luck with it. He got like 1-2 years out of it. Another Tech YouTuber Timmy Joe he used it on a laptop and it lasted 6 months. If there are problems with the shelf life where the performance of the liquid metal degrades in like 6 months time then Sony is looking at a lot of RMA repairs. Unless Sony figured something out during the long development cycle and knows something that we don't and got the liquid metal to function for a long time like a high quality thermal paste would by long tedious stress testing of the PS5.