Windows: Line-Based vs. Message Signaled-Based Interrupts. MSI tool.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, May 7, 2013.

1. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Right, but in his pic he does have HDaudio checkbox marked for MSI mode, maybe he didn't apply and reboot yet.

ira1234 likes this.
  2. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    His MSI values will be different than yours but I would leave out any device that doesn't say it has support for MSI (support mode column).

Meaning your pic looks good, just remove the checkmarks on those Intel I/O 12C controllers.

ira1234 likes this.
  3. sidi0us

sidi0us Active Member

GPU:
    Intel HD4000
    Hi guys, I have some info regarding my experience with this program. On my old 8th gen intel (Z370) I had some devices as high priority (sata and network card), the only thing I've set to high beside those was usb 3.0 hub. That improved my latency with mouse and keyboard and everything was ok, no problem in any game.

On my current system, Ryzen x470, R5 3600, If I set usb 3.0 to high, it does improve latency (for me at least is noticeable), but It still gives me some fps fluctuations in AC:eek:rgins (Windows DXVK mod), I had to turn sata and network+wifi cards to undefined (original high), now the fps is more consistent.

I know this varies for every system, buy for any of you on ryzen platform and having frametimes issues, try to set everything as undefined and do some testing. Thanks again to mbk1969 for this amazing program.

Blackfyre likes this.
  4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I just installed v3 and noticed new priority.. All are at default Undefined, any use if i tweak them?

E.g. I want to try XFI, since I think it can cause issues, not 100% sure though. What would be better, higher or lower value in such case?

I have shared XFI with gpu (both irq16), now I've set gpu back to MSI again.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    What issues? Elaborate a bit...

Since it is easy to test, try first (XFI) with High priority, and if no luck with Low priority, and if no luck again revert to Default.

-Tj- likes this.
  6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Sometimes I get robotic sound hard freeze in Destiny2, or just crash freeze CTD, but I didn't use MSI mode for gpu while that happened (I tried a couple of times, but didn't really see a difference?).. although the game can use windows mic icon (if I enable chat), I don't use mic though.

A friend keeps telling me it's my XFI titanium HD fault and I should take it out, but idk.. He said when he put in his old XFI titanium fatality he got some instability issues, now that he took it out again its ok.

Now I just saw DanielK made a new pack will try that first before messing with priority. Will take your advice if it happens again and test high mode first. So high priority mode should act the same as by programs high priority?

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Something like that. We still do not know the details in action.

As for devices sharing IRQs they should be avoided. In old times Windows crushed when such thing happened, and it was called a conflict. Then MS learned to live with it and renamed it into sharing.

PS
    Also read the report of audio professional
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/w...terrupts-msi-tool.378044/page-71#post-5827338

-Tj- likes this.
  8. Fou

Fou Guest

GPU:
    1060 6 gb
    Why my samsung nvm express controller irq -2 -3 -4 -5 -6 -7 -8 -9 ? and is it okey ?

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      52.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      51.9 KB
      Views:
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Thats how nvme's can handle massive parallel data transfers.

Fou likes this.
  10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @Fou

To extend Astyanax`s answer:
    NVMe controller on the second screenshot works in legacy interrupt mode - hence one IRQ for device;
    NVMe controller on the first screenshot works in Message Signaled interrupt mode (MSI) - hence several IRQs for device.

Fou likes this.

11. Fou

Fou Guest

GPU:
    1060 6 gb
    thanks for answer but should i put nvm in msi mode or not still dont know

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Of course you should.

Fou likes this.
  13. Stefan Ganderils

Stefan Ganderils Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6G
  14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Confess, did you set all devices interrupt priorities to High?

15. SputNick

SputNick Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia GT 610
    Isn't setting everything to "Undefined" the best approach?

16. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Not necessarily, IMO best to leave priorities alone and test just MSI mode on one device at a time for testing and stability reasons (Though GPU is safe).

Some devices have high priority stock from the driver.

17. Stefan Ganderils

Stefan Ganderils Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6G
    Y
    Yes, isn't that the point? Why add something to the program that does not need to change the priority

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    The best approach is to work out a test methodology and then apply it (i.e. do test). :cool:

It is not clear to me what exactly are you asking.
    Program shows only PCI-E devices currently present (in the system) and having IRQ(s).
    Program shows IRQ(s), interrupt priority and some additional related info for each device.

If you did not read the thread (I will understand if you did not - it is rather huge) you did not discover that the interrupt priority was added without any recommendations, like an experimental feature - because (1) nobody is sure whether it is working for 100%, and (2) nobody knows how exactly it is working.
    So you have to test it for yourself, but turning all devices to high priority all at once is a bad test methodology. You have to be patient and test it per one device at a time.

PS Also if you have no issues with games or whatever software then you do not have to use this utility at all. It does not provide huge boost in performance. But it provides the means to try to solve issues like audio drop-outs, minor stutters.

19. Stefan Ganderils

Stefan Ganderils Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6G
    Well thank you. If during testing some item does not change anything, leave it in High or Undefined?

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Undefined.