GeForce RTX 3080 and 3090 stock allocations are unprecedented low

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I think it is safe to say that we all knew that the GeForce RTX 3090 and particularly the 3080 would be a product series in high demand.

You're gonna get it now :D

3. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    After asking around a bit, none of my local retailers have even gotten a single RTX 3080 or 3090 in since launch, although they have gotten tons of orders. One of the PC shop owners I talked to mentioned their distributor(!) told them that they'd only gotten three 3080s and one 3090 in in total since their respective launches and don't know when to expect any more.

No wonder that cards don't land in retail stores when companies like MSI appear to be scalping their cards for double the price on online platforms like eBay instead...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  4. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Yeah and They even tried to frame it has ‘exceptional high demand’. Disgusting

panogr likes this.

5. Get em Hilbert! :mad::)

6. Sylencer

Sylencer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 Strix OC
    Still hoping every day that my retailer gets my ordered 3090 strix oc to ship it.

7. Darksword

Darksword Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 980 Ti
    Very disheartening to see the low numbers of cards "underway", which I'm guessing means are in the process of being shipped to the retailer.

8. hamltnblue

hamltnblue Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Are those numbers in tens or hundreds? If they are single units they cant be accurate.
    Quite a few have gone through Microcenter in PA. One day they had 10 on hand. They've had several orders before and after that.

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    That shop alone ordered 1905 3090s. With an average price of let's say €1600, we're talking about over a whopping 3.000.000 (three million) €. That's a lot of money, for a relatively small country. Just imagine what the biggest shops in the US, UK, GER, FR etc. have to order... and what kind of financial frame they need to even order those.

Silva likes this.
  10. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    One of the worst things about this story is the fact that the retailers have kept silent all this time, leaving us all guessing at the number of cards available at launch and since then.
    This secrecy betrays a relationship between Nvidia and it's preferred retailers that is bad news for the customer.
    It's not hard to see why there is virtually zero competition at MRSP in the GPU market contrary to other items you might go out and purchase.
    Retailers don't seem to compete against each other, almost as if there was a one big cartel.

Silva, carnivore and geogan like this.

11. Bobdole776

Bobdole776 Member

GPU:
    zotac amp extreme 1080ti
    We very rarely get to see order numbers by distributors like this, and if anything this is very telling it was always planned to be a paper launch.

Seems they wanted to launch early then ramp up production later, all to beat the competition first. Willing to bet Nvidia knew all about this mess beforehand too but didn't care since they had to be 'first'.

I hope AMD does a better job end of this month with their launches. I suspect it's gonna be bad for both their CPUs and GPUs with scalpers taking the majority of it.

I still remember last year even retailers selling above MSRP for ryzen 3k...

12. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I mean i'm 700th in my queue, and it has not dropped since release for the 3080 :( Thinking this might be a 2021 gift to myself

13. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I mean they don't make the whole 1600 euros each, i'm assuming maybe around half of that, after nvidia and board partners take a cut, maybe even less

14. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Dear AMD,

No time like the present to gain some market share back. Don't frack this up.

Sincerely,

soon to be 6900 series owner.

Silva and panogr like this.
  15. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Paper implies no stock was ever delivered. The 3080 driving the monitor I am typing this on, purchased from Newegg by clicking the order now button, proves that wrong.

They launched without enough stock to meet demands and knew as much - that's probably true. But a paper launch, this was not.

I suspect AMD will not do much better. The pandemic is still limiting access to manufacturing in Taiwan, deliveries are still being delayed at the ports on either end by it as well, and the shipping partners after the ports are not unaffected either. In the US, it's further compounded by the mess being caused by USPS being ****** with in order to manipulate the election, which is overloading other shipping companies as well. This is about the worst time in history to try and launch a product, and AMD is going to be launching multiples simultaneously.

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I didn't mean to talk about what they keep from that, just what capital they need to have (in cash or guarantees of course) to even run those deals in the first place. Just from the perspective of cash flow.

Ricepudding likes this.
  17. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    Guys, why do you support company like that? Its practices are disgusting long term.

"they have the biggest powah" yea that sounds like a addict buying his stuff on a corner from a killer, because he has the best stock. Dont do that.

Silva likes this.
  18. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Given that everyone sees the same youtube tech heads reviewing the same few cards and all of them saying the TUF was one of best they have seen, I knew it was going to be popular, but those numbers of people waiting on it show just how popular it is - they are going to be waiting a long time on that list I think.

Might be better to get on a shorter list for one of the more expensive models.

I was thinking of the AORUS Xtreme myself since I have the Xtreme 1070 right now for years and happy with its advanced fan arrangement and quietness. Interesting to see the big $$$ boys looking for 3090 also think the AORUS is worth getting, as well as obvious Strix.

Also where is EVGA in that list? Do they not sell EVGA in that country?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Because all companies are the same, so I might as well buy the best out of all the shitty companies.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  20. labidas

labidas Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    vaporware

Serotonin and RavenMaster like this.