GeForce RTX 3080 and 3090 shortages will last through 2021

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. SeriousSkeletor

SeriousSkeletor Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    Cyberpunk 2077 is the main reason for the current crYsis :D

3. AlexM

AlexM Member

GPU:
    rtx 3080 Eagle OC
    Man, i really hoped i can get my hands on a 3080 or 3070 until Cyberpunk, well that dream is smashed to the ground now. :(

angelgraves13 likes this.
  4. Error8

Error8 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2080 Supe
    NVIDIA has the lowest yields ever with this power hungry new generation and yet again Jensen blames everyone else for buying to many cards. This guy is in denial.
    Admitting that your products will be scarce for one year from now on, it's a clear sign that you have production issues. Even where I live, Nvidia always had almost day 1 availability to their new cards. But these 3080s are right now at ridiculous high prices, at around 1000 euro and out of stock everywhere. The cards were never in stock to begin with. Give me a break with scalpers and there is no mining madness this time around. It's clear that they can't produce enough cards to reach the entire market.
    This is why I think this might be AMD's moment to shine in the GPU market, if they don't screw up something with the new cards.

5. ACEB

ACEB Member Guru

GPU:
    Think you'll find its AMD being competitive for the first time in 3 generations, this whole Nvidia launch seemed rushed from every stage.

6. SmootyPoody

SmootyPoody Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 770 ref
    "According to him, this is not so much due to problems with supply, but more to the high demand." (Read: Jensen Huang).

What a dick thing to say. If you have high demand and cant meet that with your supply you have a problem with supply. If you have low demand and cannot meet that you also have a problem with supply. It easy to hear who the CEO is and who is tooting their own horn for stocks to go up.

7. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    From it just works to it's just a phenomenon. However, it is NOT just a leather jacket!!!

8. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    I wouldn't be surprised if this shortage is just staged hahaha

If you check OCUK forum and RTX 3080/3090 deliveries which they getting are in few pieces and that's just one shop

Call me dubious but I just don't believe Jensen

Thanks, Jura

Dragam1337, ZXRaziel and Valken like this.
  9. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Allows time to see what team red have

angelgraves13 likes this.
  10. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    The CEO of the company cannot control the production of his products for now until next year?! WTF do you think your job is?! It's sales and revenue! LOL...

I don't see Tim Cook complaining!

11. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    It'll be the same for the 3070 and probably the 3060 as well.

I hope this will reduce demand for the AMD cards because that portion of early 3080 / 3070 adopters probably won't try to buy one from AMD. Just crossing my fingers.

SplashDown likes this.
  12. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    I'd be very surprised if it is not. "Unprecedented high demand" my buttocks.

angelgraves13 and Solfaur like this.
  13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    AMDs golden moment to shine. If they have a great product with adequate supply after launch, this should be Nvidias greatest fear. That their potential customers waiting for Ampere just get fed up and abandon them for AMD.

14. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    When i read the title saying the shortage will last through 2021 i thought you meant the shortage problem will last until 2022....

15. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Just a point, each time we have shortage it is before Xmas (the shortage before Xmas lol) due to million of factors, that make price rise to the top just before people start to buy.
    Less volumes = less logistic charge and price up = more cash in the pocket...

16. Sylencer

Sylencer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 Strix OC
    My Retailer told me they hope to get all orders done within the end of october. Im in the very front of orders so i should get my sooner than most people.

17. Mpampis

Mpampis Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT 8GB
    The 3090 offers about 20% more GAMING performance than the 3080 while being twice as expensive.
    That's because it actually is a professional grade GPU, marketed as a Gaming one. And it was only marketed as one to increase sales.
    Now nvidia, being the company holding more than 65% of the dGPU segment, cannot say it underestimated demand. They now the market better than anyone. They worked hard to increase demand.
    The only thing they're actually doing is keeping the prices up. And I don't blame them, their target group at this moment is a group of people who now deem that their 2080 Ti is not good enough and must be replaced immediately.

18. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Bad yields and high demand. Nice combo.
    t's not as good prosumer as Titans were it lacks a lot of the features Titans had for prosumers. It's just false marketing mostly this. And well nvidia is simply continuing to drive the prices up with less return for money.

And it's at best case scenario 20% faster most of the time it's 10-15 all things being equal no oc for 3080 or 3090. But yeah only one to blame for the price hike is customers accepting them at such high cost.

Mpampis likes this.
  19. Mpampis

Mpampis Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT 8GB
    Yeah they probably kept most things for the quadro lineup. But i've seen performance graphs on Blender showing that it can decimate every other GPU.

Ryu5uzaku likes this.
  20. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    With the amount of compute it should yes