NVIDIA GeForce Hotfix Display Driver 456.71

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Vidik, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    HAGS is still there and per-program 3D settings are untouched.

Sylencer likes this.
  2. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    I spoke too soon on the stutter being gone on 451.67 Driver as well. I get home from work and fire up the game this driver is stuttering just the same. Hmm I can't figure this out but I'll give Nsight a try see if this can capture what's going on.

3. RX480

RX480 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX480 8GB
    no me deja descargar me dice 403 error

4. RX480

RX480 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX480 8GB

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Que?

ReaperXL2 and Aldek like this.
  6. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    @Astyanax Well after a BUNCH of testing I did figure out what was going on with the stuttering. Nsight uncovered when the stuttering was happening my CPU showed it was at 100% utilization in the Nsight timeline, which matched up with every stutter. But this never showed that in MSI Afterburner overlay, which I thought was odd that MSI Afterburner showed it was running at ~25-35% usage the entire time.

I then did a capture with nSight and had HWInfo running only monitoring/logging CPU clock speed. What I found is my CPU at times when the stutter would happen was clocking down to 800-1200Mhz for some reason! This was happening time scales too small to see on the Afterburner overlay which has a 1000ms polling interval, it appears my CPU would downclock to 800Mhz for around ~40-70ms, then it would jump back up to 4700Mhz. But when I set HWInfo to update at 50ms intervals and logged the data it showed my CPU was downclocking every 1-2 seconds.

So I set my power plan to High Performance and tested again, no stuttering at all! So appears the drivers are fine most likely, but there is something going on causing my CPU to downclock while running a game which doesn't make any sense.

RodroG likes this.
  7. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    What CPU/platform do you have, it sounds like your hitting a limiter, either thermal, power.
    HWinfo has a section to tell if any limiter is being triggered, you can also monitor thermals of the CPU core, CPU package, and VRM's to see what going on ther depending on what MB sensors support.

8. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I've been noticing the same thing on my 2080 Ti when setting Windows Power Plan to Balanced mode lately. Like for you, setting the Power Plan to High Performance gets rid of the issue. Oddly enough, this wasn't the case until a couple of weeks ago. It seems to have coincided with me switching to GeForce 456.xx drivers on my system, but I'm skeptical that they are the cause, since it mostly seems to be a CPU clocking issue (although my video card also seems to fluctuate the clocks slightly when it happens). Could it be that perhaps some sort of new Windows Update is to blame or something?

9. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    So I posted about this issue in another forum and someone mentioned to check out QuickCPU ( https://coderbag.com/product/quickcpu ) and see if my Turbo Boost Index & Frequency Scaling Index were set properly at 100%. Apparently they were set wrong both at 5% and was causing this entire problem with the CPU downclocking even under load. I guess that is intended having those set lower if you have an older CPU without Intel Speedshift which was introduced with Skylake. But if you have Speedshift enabled those should all be set to 100% target.

After setting those to 100% and applying the setting everything is running great now.. no stuttering at all!! I'm not sure what caused the problem but I'm guessing a Windows update reset the Power Profiles in Windows 10 or something to that effect.

[​IMG]

10. gamesturbator

gamesturbator Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 570
    No support for Windows 7. Sad. Love Windows 7. Need a hotfix for the same reason.

Last night in Windows 10 t every time I alt-tabbed back into Warzone the frames would drop to 1--yes ONE --for several seconds. This hasn't happened before. As with all complex programs/games/drivers fixing one issue creates another.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    so I was totally off base with the pcie error / vram error corrections, and it was CPU being pulled down instead!, Usually that'd be the first thing i'd think of too - but with recent things i've seen happening with 9 and 10 gen intel chips with their pcie controllers my focus had been too narrow.

Nice tool!, i've never heard of it till now.

Bit interesting though, the Frequency Scale corresponds to the option "Minimum Processor State" in the power profile, in the default balanced profile it has always been 5%

Turbo Index should be set to 60 by default, so its odd that yours was 5%

It seems that its a windows bug since it followed you back to the older driver

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  12. dezo

dezo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    May I ask whats the point of setting anything other than "High Performance" power plan for CPU on desktop PC? That is always the first thing I set after OS reinstall, because I had exactly the same problems in the past with games stuttering for no reason on other power plans. So now I tend to set it and forget it. One may think that this will roast the CPU all the time, but when idle, the CPU temps drops to about 29C and everything behaves normally.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    high performance pegs the cpu at its all core boost and doesn't allow single core boosts to work properly.

14. dezo

dezo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Astyanax: Thanks. I think I can live with that. Seems better to me than problems with stuttering.

15. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
    I always use Balanced because I don't want my CPU to run on max frequency 24/7, never had any downclocking issues with this plan.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    Maddness and G*addict like this.

16. Raymund

Raymund Guest

GPU:
    1660 Ti Max-Q 6GB
    I don't know why but it seems it didn't fix my problem. I have an ROG Zephyrus G15 Ryzen 7 4800HS and GTX 1660 Ti Max-Q in it. I installed this hotfix and the problem is still there. I tried uninstalling the previous versions and install the hotfix but I still get the blackscreen issue. I really need your help guys. Thank you!

17. Hirara

Hirara Guest

GPU:
    Zotac Rtx 2070S 8GB
    This is the updated version right?

18. gamesturbator

gamesturbator Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 570
    Rolled back to the 445.87 drivers and no crashes at all.

19. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    AOC?... don't say I never helped you.:D

DannyD and -Tj- like this.
  20. Nekrosleezer

Nekrosleezer Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    didnt test the previous drivers but came directly from 456.38, and this drivers fixed some black screen using my compatible gsync monitor , and everygame is working just fine no stuttering, good drivers!