GeForce RTX 3070 Availability Moved to October 29th

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Just buy at the price point then? I'm not sure why so many people fixate on product tiers. The 3060, whenever released, will probably perform significantly better at it's intended resolution relative to a 1070 and 970 at their launches. I know this because the 2060 already does. If you take a 2060 and benchmark it across all modern AAA titles (when it launched) at 1080p, then do the same with a 970 with it's AAA titles (again when the 970 launched) the 2060 massively outperforms it. Nvidia is just shifting the product tiers up because more people are buying 4K/Ultrawide/etc monitors now - so the range of products needs to cover a larger range of available "performance targets".

I think people need to start looking at the product tiers as if they are named for a given performance at a specific resolution and not for a given performance at a specific price point.

2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I'm guessing this will affect the 3060 Ti release date also.

3. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Well thats another payment off my credit card....may be 2 lol

4. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    My 2080s has 8gb and runs games fine @4k 60hz and 2k 75hz....not everyone has 144hz and over just like not everyone has 4k, so given that the 3080 has 10gb and the 3090 has 24gb...not to mention the 3080 20gb coming and there will likely be a 12/16 3070... i dont see what the issue is.

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

You're supposed to say you can barely play games at 1080p because not enough VRAM and Nvidia is robbing us so that Jensen can buy a new jacket :D

For real now... given a choice I doubt I'd buy 3070 16 GB.
    Because yes ofc it's better than 8GB, but if you're stretching that far, you might just as well get 3080. Even if "only" 10GB it will be a better card than 16GB 3070.

Maddness, jbscotchman and The Goose like this.
  6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  7. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    this is the magic price point and in good times this would be the top selling card.
    maybe they're holding off final price drop for AMD?

The Phoenix likes this.
  8. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    nah,
    these are massive new gpu's on a new (to Nvidia) process.
    they are over promising and under delivering, but that's just the age of trump.

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Also the fine print says at 1440p. I guess its not as good as the 2080ti at 4k.

Cave Waverider likes this.
  10. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    All depends on the prices at the time of release, also if a 16gb 3070 will give me the Division2 @4k 60hz with ultra settings then thats enough for me, i have no plans to change my 4k or 2k 75hz screen for the next couple of years but as i said...it all depends on the price at the time...not to mention whats available too.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It will be a great 1440p card no doubt. Out of three ampere cards this one makes the most sense.

tunejunky likes this.
  12. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    My GTX 1070 FTW is waiting on my PC until both nVidia and AMD have solved their launch issues and settle their prices.

Probably there'll be a 2070Ti/Super next year, with 10 or more GB of RAM, more bandwidth, all issues gone and better speeds, at the same price..... THAT will be the card to get.

Also, very soon the market will be flooded with 2080 Super/Ti for half the price and still on warranty... ^_^

13. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I wonder if this is almost hubris, wanting to release at this date. Nvidia has done well in the past doing moves like that, it wouldn't be surprising if they do this to keep the mojo.

But, it's the first time since the 7970, that I feel that Nvidia is a bit scared and that AMD might actually have a chance. This whole Ampere release feels premature, full of half truths and a bit desperate.

14. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    I'm pretty sure it's not.

448gb/s and 8gb of VRAM is simply not enough to push new-gen games @4k, specially with Ray Tracing. I used to have a RTX 2080 and it struggled to mantain 40fps with RTX on @4k, and even with RTX off, there was stuttering everywhere, when the card dipped bellow 50fps.

And I blame most of that to the lack of memory bandwidth.

4k is 2080Ti/RTX3080 and up territory (both have 600gb/s+ of memory bandwidth), the 3070 will be fine for everything up to 1440p IMO.

Well, the first benchmarks will clear that out.

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Very much disagree with you. Speaking of first hand experience with 4k and my own 2080. Those who lazily select ultra for all the settings and not knowing how to achieve balance of graphics vs performance with minimal visual loss are usually the ones who cant be satisfied.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    I wonder if they are timing this for pricing due to concerns around performance. The middle segment is classically where the most sales are made, they might be waiting for AMD to price the 3070 appropriately to their rivals. The 3080 looks like it was already priced that way somewhat in mind already.

17. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I think it's pretty straight forward honestly. They don't want another disaster launch like the 3080/3090 where they sold out immediately, primarily due to bots and other software that grabbed them all up within seconds. And a little more time for everyone to build up some more supply. Some people may not believe it but there are corporations who would like to keep a positive reputation and loyal fan base, and there is plenty of demand for what Nvidia has right now.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    There is something to this. We might be reading too much into this, but it seems to me there are several indicators pointing to such conclusion.

But I wouldn't compare this situation to Kepler vs GCN 1.0. That was the first time NV won in pretty much every metrics sans compute, and although being competitive on desktop Radeon pretty much disappeared in laptops setting the stage for future NV supremacy in perf/watt.
    And what we are expecting/hoping to happen with RDNA2 is kinda opposite of that.

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  19. Babel-17

Babel-17 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    It's projected watts per frame and dollars per frame vs. the RTX 3080 FE, a type of card that should be notably worse in that regard, has me thinking that the RTX 3070 might come bundled with an exciting and expensive game, and to smoothly pull that off a delay would be helpful.

20. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    You can disagree all the way, but facts are facts.

If the 3070 was "supposed" to outperform the 2080Ti, it SHOULD be able to hand games at max/ultra settings @4k. And for that, we'll have to wait for the benchies, but, signals aren't good. This chart of games at only 1440p is one of these signals. The 448gb/s bandwidth is another. These things will probably be sorted out when the 3070 "super" or "Ti" model arrive.

Also, for its intended purpose at the time, (4k gaming), the 2080 (non-ti) wasn't enough on anything from Metro Exodus and up, and probably the 3070 won't be either. Unless you like playing on medium/high settings, without RTX effects on a VGA that costs almost half the price of the entire PC.

Just check the benchmarks, they're all here on guru3d. ;)

I bought a RTX 2080 because I wanted every graphic goodness to be accessible, but the card just couldn't handle it @4k. I guess that the RMA I got on it ended up being a blessing.

Anyway, answers for these questions will be adressed (hopefully) at the end of this month.