Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.9.1 driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Freesync is just amd's marketting for VESA Adaptive Sync, there is nothing proprietary about it, no testing either (until freesync 2 / premium pro)

Freesync HDMI however, is AMD proprietary using an LG licensed technique.

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    A higher quality PSU and a single 12V is a ton of power even when it's multiple rails the conditions needed to trip the power supply is pretty hard to do but if it's plugged in wrong or daisy chaining a more mid-range PSU then yeah it could be done.
    Should be tough to do though and some users also upgraded from Vega which was worse in this regard. It's a weird issue alright.

Granted some of the third party Navi 5700XT models go well above the 200W target GPU core wattage but it still wouldn't reach what the Vega GPU's pulled.

EDIT: There have been a number of reports for using these daisy chain cables too and then the power supply is one of those components that seemingly gets hit by cost cuts more easily so it could be anything even if it might be 500 - 600 Watts but then there's efficiency and build quality or cabling and other problems.

1x 8-pin PCI-E cable connector and the bundled cable ends up being a split / daisy one yeah that's not ideal.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    There are also people using SATA to molex connectors for the 3rd 8pin :mad:

Alessio1989 and JonasBeckman like this.
  4. z8373767

z8373767 Master Guru

GPU:
    6900XT/8650G+7970M
    It reminds me my old rig with GTS 450 512MB powered by 4 SATA => 2 Molex => 6pin xD

5. MyEinsamkeit

MyEinsamkeit Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro VII 16GB
    I went back to the first Enterprise driver from 20.Q1 , test 2 games which i test all the time vs 20.9.1. You can see that 20.q1 has better fps. Gear tactics benchmark the best fps i get is from 20.q3. That game only seem to get the best fps with that driver over the rest. Besides that, 20.q1 is overall faster than all the drivers in every game i tested so far. an older driver too.

Attached Files:

6. HD64G

HD64G Active Member

GPU:
    SapphireRX6750ΧΤ
    This driver is both rock-solid and fast. Maybe the best i have tried.

Undying, Krteq and LocoDiceGR like this.
  7. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    Same for me :)

8. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Happy hardware fire

9. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I've never used SATA to PCI-E, but I've used Molex to PCI-E since the power hungry HD 4870, and it worked fine (basically looking like this https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168121...e&cm_re=molex_to pci-e-_-12-196-870-_-Product). I also never used adapters at first since everyone said it wasn't safe, but when your hardware gets old enough to be considered a paperweight and you just need it working in an older PC where the PSU doesn't have the right cables, you become less hesitant to take the risk.

8-pin can draw up to 150w though, double than 6-pin, so I definitely would want to use real PCI-E cables for that. In case the graphics card actually is delivered with an adapter in the box though, of course people rightfully expect it to be officially within the limits and using it safely.

10. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah I was thinking the older 4-pin perhaps considering what the cable can handle and how well it handles power draws too.
    Also sounds like the standards for voltages are being revised a bit and how that might affect future power supplies and now there's also this potential 12-pin design as a option which might see some use but maybe not just yet.

EDIT: Suppose increasing what the PCI Express itself can draw would also be problematic not just from the backwards compatibility idea for this.

Though 4.0 compatibility in itself already had some requirements for the needed circuitry and tracing as I recall, one reason on AMD backing on support for "ready" X400 series boards too.
    (Probably a good one even if some of the high-end boards maybe could have met the requirements.)

EDIT: Ah right that's a CPU not a GPU pin.

Wonder what sort of wiring messes one could get into in some PC systems.
    [​IMG]

~ So I plugged one in the PSU and one into the GPU and then one into the CPU.

And some older boards with a additional PCI-E power connectivity cable but I don't remember how that worked again but something for a fully populated SLI/Crossfire system what little I do remember on the idea behind it.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    HK-1 likes this.

11. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Each new AMD driver it is known to give for free a glass of fine wine together with free performance.

Undying likes this.
  12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Well there's that and then also that game development is moving in a direction where AMD GPU's can benefit a bit more or at least avoid more of the hardware constraints as focus on compute and running certain operations through this avoids rasterization performance problems due to ROP's and such along with the low level API situation and AMD focusing on that although growth is still pretty slow but it's gaining again. :)

EDIT: From the blog post on GCN through Sapphire and Sapphire Nation I wonder how much untapped performance there was even in the Radeon VII where the best case measurements on Vulkan with Wolfenstein New Colossus hitting 60% utilization.
    It's a fast GPU as is the Vega 56 and Vega 64 but that's a lot of loss in efficiency and what it might be able to perform like if that had been even better.

Plus how much Navi can scale having improved on some of these limitations and thus catching up with Vega despite it's position as a mid-range GPU or perhaps more how it could scale since development is now looking to shifting to slowly utilize new hardware functionality from D3D12_2 where Turing, Ampere or a RDNA2 GPU will become mandatory.

But not yet.
    Or sort-of I mean the GPU's already catching up with Radeon VII in some cases there's nothing more after that from AMD and it then bumps with the 2070S I believe from NVIDIA at a few percentages performance loss.
    Having caught up a bit after various driver fixes and optimizations in various games and in general so I think by now it's a up-to of ten percent or so for the 2070S roughly.
    (With some variance depending on game or game engine as usual.)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    HK-1 and Undying like this.
  13. ms178

ms178 Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
  14. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yes it seems Vega and the Radeon VII is excellent for compute heavy tasks and applications that can really scale with the hardware and thus populate the full Wave64 and needed threads here. (512 instead of 128 I think is how that went.)
    Navi has some advancements and hardware improvements but it does have less cores and such too and on Linux AMD has also been slow with support for ROCM / Radeon Open Compute for this card.

Guessing that's what is going to happen with the Compute DNA (?) or CDNA series over Radeon DNA (RDNA) whenever AMD has something to show for these and they'll be taking over from GCN and be even better at it than Vega10 (56/64) and Vega20 (R VII) were for these tasks. :)

And gaming wise Vulkan and D3D12 also showed a bit of what Vega could do but as usual the game engine and how it utilizes the system hardware will vary.
    No surprise NVIDIA utilized DOOM Eternal for it's Ampere performance comparisons then since it scales incredibly well.
    (Hard to say how well though as from a few checks it looks like Vega, Radeon VII and the 5700 hit similar performance peaks scaling to where it turns into a CPU limited situation instead of a GPU one.)

EDIT: Probably also explains that the Radeon VII is also still selling well and retains resale value well from what I can see.
    (Not too much though since I think AMD is no longer producing more and there never were custom versions of this from other AMD GPU partners.)

Ampere from NVIDIA might shift it around a bit but Ampere availability might be a bit of a problem possibly until later into October depending on availability and demand.
    (November or even 2021 cited for some stores or certain models for these cards.)

Undying likes this.
  15. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Guys, I know it's kinda a rule of thumb that BETA drivers may requiere more voltage for the same OC than a WHQL set. Here's the thing, I was having crashes with this driver with the game Deep Rock Galactic. As soon as I rolled back to the previous driver, 20.8.3, they disappeard. I didn't try to loose my OC.
    I was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue with this particular set, because I'm not sure if those crashes were related to my particular OC/UV or the driver itself with this game.

Cheers!

16. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Could be changes in the driver affecting what was formerly stable but I've also seen some posts about undervolting being less effective and then the user had something like 1.0v at 2100 Mhz so it might have been a Wattman issue where it used the default value and ignored or had reset the profile which AMD has fixed a few problems of that nature in some of these drivers now. :)

I use OCCT myself with higher settings and with unstable settings within the first two minutes the program should report errors starting low and building up to hundreds. (It should be zero for stable settings.)
    Needs a little bit above 1.020v for the 1950 Mhz and 1900 effective, 5% wattage for the power limit draw to stabilize it so it's not hovering around 1870 but actually hits 1900 when boosting. :)
    (Not the best GPU bin ever but good still for the 1.2v default barely hitting 1900 Mhz without some tweaking being power limited and then thermal limited after that.)

D3D11 based AFAIK so I rounded it up to 1.050v with a 10% power limit just in case and this is primarily under volt related since there's limited performance gains outside of benchmark software so I can cut the total power draw, junction temps and a small part of the surface temps for a 2 - 3% at most performance loss.

But D3D12 and Vulkan will be a bit more sensitive thus a bit of a extra headroom for the settings here and even then games like Battlefield V or World of Warcraft could be more sensitive particularly it seems to any memory overclocking.

EDIT: At a bit of a guess AMD might have fixed some settings reverting or not applying correctly although I think sleep or hibernation can still have issues as can fast boot so you want to monitor actual GPU voltages and clock speeds to ensure the custom settings actually apply.

Also if you use a power limit mod like the MorePower utility you need to re-apply that and get these extended limits again on a driver update even on a install over existing data not just a complete cleanup.
    (More extensive overclocking and voltage and power draw increases for hitting over 2.1 Ghz and things like that.)

Jackalito likes this.
  17. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    New drivers are out !
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/r...20-edition-20-9-2-download-discussion.434438/

Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.9.2 Highlights
    Support For

• STAR WARS™: Squadrons
    Added Vulkan™ Support
    • VK_KHR_buffer_device_address
      • This extension is used to query the device address of a buffer to allow for shader access to that buffer’s storage via the SPV_KHR_physical_storage_buffer SPIRV extension.
    • VK_EXT_robustness2
      • This extension provides stricter restrictions for handling reads and writes that are out of bounds. It specifies that out-of-bounds reads must return zeros and out-of-bounds writes must be discarded. This extension also adds support for null descriptors.
    • VK_EXT_shader_image_atomic_int64
      • This extension extends existing 64-bit integer atomic support to images, which provides more efficient access than buffers. This allows applications to quickly improve their performance with minor changes to their code.
    Fixed Issues
    • Some games may exhibit stutter intermittently during gameplay on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
    • Radeon FreeSync may fail to enable after updating Radeon Software without a system reboot.
    • Screen flickering may be observed while MSI Afterburner™ is running or enabled on the system.
    • X-Plane 11™ may experience an application hang or crash when using the Vulkan® API.
    • DOOM™ VFR may experience corruption or artifacting in game on Radeon RX 5000 series system configurations.
    • Performance metrics overlay may fail to open or appear after the system wakes from sleep.
    • Call of Duty®: WWII may experience black textures on the ground or walls in zombies game mode.
    • Blocky corruption may be observed in Detroit: Become Human™ on some Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
    • Using the Movies&TV application to edit video clips may result in green corruption in the clips.
    • Performance metrics may report incorrect values for current VRAM usage after an extended period of gameplay.
    • With HDR enabled, Windows® desktop may experience flickering, and performing a task switch while in a game may cause colors to become washed out or over saturated.
    • World of Warcraft™ may experience corruption issues with anti-aliasing enabled on DirectX®12 API.
    • Launching Radeon Software after a driver upgrade, may cause the Auto OC dialogue to appear with “0 Mhz” when the Auto OC feature has been previously enabled on Radeon RX Vega series graphics products.
    Known Issues
    • Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
    • Performance Metrics Overlay and the Performance Tuning tab incorrectly report higher than expected idle clock speeds on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products. Performance and power consumption are not impacted by this incorrect reporting.
    • Audio may experience instability when connected through an Audio Video Receiver via HDMI® on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
    • Modifying the HDMI Scaling slider may cause FPS to become locked to 30.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-9-2

OnnA, Jackalito and LocoDiceGR like this.