Spotify and Epic form coalition to lobby against App Store monopoly

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 25, 2020.

1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    This is definitely not true. Spotify premium is a highly subbed platform.

toyo likes this.
  2. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    I am sure that other company have the same cost in dev, employee, server etc... then how to validate that the premium is one of the most expensive, that they don't do studio HD audio quality... and so more.
    I wasn't talking about Apple but about Spotify.
    If you like to pay more for less, up to you :)

3. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Well the obvious problem is that consumer choosing closed platform is making a choice which also affects the developer, not only himself. Of course the consumer knows nothing of this, as Apple also prevents developers from mentioning that the price includes 30% Apple tax. Even worse is, that if your service competes with Apple, you have to pay 30% Apple tax which Apple does not have to pay, making your offering quite much more expensive and hence less competitive.

4. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    Do not buy apple. I have never bought 1 single apple product in 38 years because I do not like their crap policies, apple has always had horrible policies when it came to their hardware. It seems after you buy apple you still do not have full rights to use your hardware and can only use what they say you can on it. Apple has always sucked that way.

5. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Please, used an Android phone for over a decade now and never had a single issue with malware or spyware and haven't had an issue with Windows for that long either. Apply some thought be careful about what you're doing and you're good. In short use a tiny bit of intelligence... either that or go buy an Apple product and save your brain for drooling purposes.

6. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    I really think the monopoly market idea is important to explore, and hopefully will set precidents on how future digital markets operate with increased regulation from government.

If this case results in opening up certain platforms to competition, this can only be better for the end user in the long run.

Embra likes this.
  7. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    The problem is that you can only use the apple app store to download any app, and all in app purchase must go through apple so that apple can also get a dip on those whales. If you by pass apple for the in app purchase, they will boot you from the app store like Epic.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Which why i like it all control by them unless apple approves it wont be on store which make ALOT easier to control what is on the platform especial when it comes to App/programs that might have malware and virues. some thing that android platform is plagued by in comparisons cause it open. which why tell people to just get apple which probably one reason why apple want to keep that way it better to trust them self to keep it clean then hope all the other app store keep there stuff clean, I been give countless andriod device to fix cause they been hit by malware good know what else by people that i told to get Apple. soon as they switched it apple it stoped. the cost being open comes at prices

People like to say that monopoly or what ever it there platform the can do what they want with both apple and google have same stance that purchase must go threw there store last i checked less google change there stance. Maybe I am wrong it just my opinion but apples iOS is more secure then android as far as i concerned cause how there store is closed and they dont let other companies host app store on there platform. and for people that barely know how to use this stuff it much safe bet then andriod.

And as for epic app getting pulled they did that to them selves know full well what happen so any harm done to them is self inflicted so i have no pity for them. apple as more money to throw at laws and for longer then epic does, the longer this drags out there long it gona hurt epic not apple.

Apple might no be no angle but atlest from consumer point it more secure then andriod cause it policy, if people or companies dont like they dont have to use apple or distributed apps on on or and there for will have to app there in app "purchase" done threw another platform and get less as reslult

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  9. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    The same thing for me applies with Epic. I don't buy or get any free games they offer because of their anti-consumer practices of having timed PC exclusives.

10. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    Just because some users are stupid does not make it okay to restrict the users on how they want to use their devices.

We have antitrust law for a reason. Without such law, apple can charge the developers for what ever amount they want without any repercussion. For google in-app purchase requirement and they enforcing it, they only charge developers if you use google play for app distribution, developers can decide to use other app store, which apple does not allowed, or even sideloading the app if they wanted.

They should have form the coalition and challenge apple instead of doing what they did.

The problem is apple is using (hijacking) their user base and forcing developers to comply since there are no alternative by apples anti-competitive practices. Antitrust law exists to negate the impact from such anti-competitive practices.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    And? like I said you pay for have open system more then do closed system. apple closed system is more secure as result of the closed system.

Google is implemented 30% for all all in app purchase all app have to end 2021 to comply or they will be removed. epic will go after them next when they have there game removed cause they dont want to comply

From my stand point close system like apples is much better and easier keep things safe for the end user as result. if you want more open system that is more vulnerable that is your choose

I might hate apple but I choose use apple device and tell people to get them cause android more prone to virus and malware. because they let just about anything on the store and let other "app" store on there own store which make things less secure and more likely to have malware and virus

these are my opinions on upon my experience with both apple (iOS) and google (andriod/play) andriod my be more open but it comes at price and seeing tired to fix people devices cause malware and virues which have been pretty much andriod and windows devices. I tell said people to go get apple and avoid the problem. and those that do dont have such problems anymore

Everything comes at price, apple should keep to there guns and keep things how cause it works for them

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  12. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    thread necro; only for telling this? :eek: