GeForce RTX 3080 CTD Issues likely due to POSCAP and MLCC configuration

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Sara6Girls

Sara6Girls Member

GPU:
    Rx6800xt+3080ti
    what does that mean ?
    Will my 1080ti card hold up to the next generation?
    What will happen to those who bought the cards in the first launch?
    Did they reach the bait and the fisherman's hook?
    Are we going to laugh a lot? Turing Architecture These problems did not occur
    Isn't there enough time for Nvidia to review all these problems?
    I was eagerly waiting for the RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA card and now it's postponed to next generation or July next year
    I don't want more problems.

2. Smiley_ie

Smiley_ie Guest

GPU:
    3090 Alphacool
  3. Sara6Girls

Sara6Girls Member

GPU:
    Rx6800xt+3080ti
    Nvidia's latest update, the one before it, the one before it, and the one before it is full of problems and the temperature in my water ball reaches 84 limits of consumption from the power limit and when I returned to the April update of 2020, the temperature did not exceed 72 in the maximum pressure and in the games 67-70 144Hz and no other problems appeared.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  4. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    Oh man this capacity story is as old as graphic cards exists. Never jump on early released hardware and CHECK BEFORE YOU BUY!! It´s so sad that even pcbs must be reviewed in detail nowadays. We live in odd times, where early adopters become beta testers. It´s pretty easy to blame early birds, but today it is even unsure if you get the same card with the same board revision as seen on youtube. So you can allways find the tiny "subject to change....." letters, manufacturers print in their specifications or user manuals.You almost can´t rely on reviews anymore, because the "reviewers" or so called "influencers" will get pre- selected hardware, but it´s not their fault being used for marketing. IMO the early birds should get an RMA exchange from the manufacturers, no matter who is responsible for this issue. What do we learn from this mess? Before installing your long awaited hardware, make a teardow, but how without loosing your warranty? It is so funny, that today you must be almost an hardware engineer for evaluation. I think maybe even this mess will be used by some clever retailers, trying to make more money out of this situation by selling "pre-selected" cards for more $$.....let´s wait and see.....
    edit: btw I have seen the ASUS Strix cards seem to have 6 MLCC clusters. Might be a good OC card under water......(shunt mod with elmorlabs EVC)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020

5. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    Samsung 8nm is garbage. Same reason Exynos chips are not preferred for Galaxy phones. Nvidia decided to cheap out on the fab but charge the TSMC premium.
    Im very skeptical the capacitors have anything to do with it.

Fediuld likes this.
  6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    So the every 3080 crashes above 2ghz. So much for overclocking...

Fediuld and lukas_1987_dion like this.
  7. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Its not to much of an issue as everything I've seen so far shows overclocking give very little performance boost. Easier to just leave stock.

AuerX likes this.
  8. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    i so want to see a headline Sculpers saved the day as they scooped most of the defective stock !! XD

9. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Muahahahaha :D

10. Excalibur1814

Excalibur1814 Active Member

GPU:
    1660ti
    I recall spending an insane amount of cash on a 690, only for the desktop to not appear... black screen. Well known issue at the time that was, eventually, fixed with a driver update.

Did nVidia know? surely they'd have tested these cards??

Oh well. I grabbed a second hand 2070 super as I'm not going to be a tester for nVidia.

11. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    Although everyone likes a good Sherlock Holmes tech who done it story best to keep an open mind at the moment on the cause . Will be interesting to see how open people will be when it is pinned down .

sykozis likes this.
  12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    ... Wat? Gimped the 1080 for the release of the 1080? 1080 Ti?

alanm and AuerX like this.
  13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The 1080 had two variants, one with 10gbps and one with 11gbps. That being said I had a 10gbps one, I don't remember anything about losing 4%. I googled it and can't find anyone mentioning it, outside of the usual posts about questioning performance with every driver - no specific controversy or anyone mentioning losing 4% with that particular driver. I'm just going to assume it's another thing fediuld made up. Add it to the list of 20 or so other things he crafts from thin air.

14. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Hmm now then where are all those snide comments about AMD and its Drivers or its Bios revisions?
    Have a 2080ti which is liquid cooled but to be honest I cant wait to return to AMD had no end of software issues with this card due to driver and software problems.
    Both as bad as each other but to be fair AMD has not been competitive for a while, this Gen will change that.

Nvidia is at fault here 100% as they provide the specifications the partners build to the minimum and go better for the premium cards, you have to wonder if the poor availability is due to some early production cards being held back due to this exact issue, bet we have a new spec out shortly or a down clock AFTER all the reviews are in the Tables for comparison, that is something Intel excels at!

Love the comment about scalpers getting the faulty cards though!

lukas_1987_dion likes this.
  15. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Now Nvidia+partners have far too few cards to sell, but if Nvidia had tried to use TSMC, there would be no cards whatsoever. TSMC is booked full, in fact even more full than just the normal full because Sony and MS are desperately trying to get the processors for the PS and Xbox.

Maddness likes this.

16. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    My GTX 1060 also sometimes crashes with afterburner ON. Not all games also. So its typical.

17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    That's what I figured, but that's still strange to hear that they'd shortly switch to a slightly higher bandwidth card. As for the guy's claim of a 4% performance loss, maybe he installed a different driver and didn't reboot. I find that installing a new nVidia driver without a reboot often does have a noticeable hit to performance, several times has been over 4% for me.

18. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    With yields of only a reported 50%~ I'm not surprised they're fully booked. Half the chips dont work.

19. zig11727

zig11727 Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080 Ti
    So much for caps being the problem I would say drivers

20. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    In Portugal, the there are no 3080s available with the exception of the MSI ventus for 725€. I wonder who´s going to be brave enough to buy it...

XenthorX likes this.