GeForce RTX 3080 CTD Issues likely due to POSCAP and MLCC configuration

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 26, 2020.

1. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    They are trying to fix fixable issues either known or unknown, or a revised shipment incoming. Out of stock helps Nvidia's damage control attempts with or without retailers cooperation.

angelgraves13 likes this.
  2. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Limited supply is definitely a positive right now.

As for clock-speed, some have said beyond 1950mhz it becomes unstable so locking/limiting to this frequency might help some cases.

angelgraves13 likes this.
  3. macatak

macatak Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6950
    here's 2 reliable sources with regard to TUF cards crashing

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1309659834468298753

both are review sites

4. intellimoo

intellimoo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 SUPER GamX
    Yep... Live on the cutting edge, bleed on the cutting edge. :oops: But that is fun to some I suppose.

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
  6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Is this completely stock.

Did you change any power sliders in Afterburner or other programs?

I'm just wondering if the people seeing this issue are those who ramp up power and temp limits in Afterburner or Precision and then complain they are getting crashes.

If you didn't could you rerun some of the tests with the power and temp slider maxed out and see if you get these crashes.

7. macatak

macatak Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6950
    yes i did, just re-enforcing what u said about the TUF series

8. zig11727

zig11727 Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080 Ti
    Two days ago I mention it could possible be a driver problem and all the user's who quoted me said no it's a hardware problem.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Undying and AuerX like this.
  9. VoRtAn_MaDgE

VoRtAn_MaDgE Member

GPU:
    8800GTX
    For the people having issues, have you ever tried nvidia 460.20 drivers ??
    https://download1590.mediafire.com/..._GRD_Win10-DCH_x64_WHQL-DEV-International.exe

try and let me know your feedback upload_2020-9-28_0-20-34.gif

Voltage curve completely stock, oc manually, fan 60% locked

OC'ed, 45min ingame, 1.1v max , trying to see a crash hehe with no luck ... boosting 2070, when temp rises stays 2055 solid rock, nvidia 460.20, fan locked 60%, MSI TRIO version.
    https://i.ibb.co/R0gd8Tr/Sem-T-tulo.png

edit below,
    voltage + 100 / core + 80 / mem + 850

I give up, won't crash , if temps below 62ºC, boost won't go lower 2115 mhz , aircooled
    https://********/5KVhy0Y/Sem-T-tulo.png

Must be great watercooling this cards, even with the modest default power limit... still got 40% fan left

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2020
    RodroG and fantaskarsef like this.
  10. DrIVNEGA

DrIVNEGA Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    i worry that AIB gonna have issues with AMD high clock as well for consoles and videocards using BIG NAVI Die...they need 30MLC to make it stable but its gonna be very expensive to do is why SONY paying extra cost to make it work but hey its first time for both in new experience gonna pass 2ghz first time...with delicate balance with amount of cores and power usage at that clock speeds...its not the same as cpu is only 8 cores vs 10,000 of them for gpu or 6000 for amd with 80cu

11. macatak

macatak Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6950
    i was looking to purchase a 3080 but now i'm not confident in buying any make or model

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    That's really not how this works and is not comparable at all. The idea that you could have 10,000 Zen cores at even 1Ghz is just not possible.

You can't compare CPU cores to GPU "cores"

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Kaarme, RodroG and alanm like this.
  13. AlexM

AlexM Member

GPU:
    rtx 3080 Eagle OC
    Oh man! This is bad. Ampere dose not overclock well , now we have to underclock it. I will hold my money in the wallet for a bit longer. AMD really starts to look better with each day.

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Sounds like a lot of potention left for watercooling indeed.

Stormyandcold likes this.
  15. EngEd

EngEd Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Hmm, I could't get the card at release day anywhere due to scalpers, low stock and high demand, maybe it's a sign for me to not buy one just yet. There will come something better and more reliable? Well I can't anyway for a couple of months, hopefully fixed revisions are released, meantime AMD is cooking up some ZEN thing. Intel is coming with their GPU, excited for that aswell :)

16. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    If this is some Hardware issue. Then probably the drivers will trade off some boost performance for stability. So maybe a lot of benchmarks should be updated (maybe there is no change at all).

Now. To be honest my games sometimes crash with a GTX1080. This is in rare scenarios. Like DX12 (Division 2 or MHW) but only when using a monitoring app in background. If I close the monitoring app almost never crashes. With Vulkan in path of exile I only got crashes while loading a new map, never while playing with action. But anyway Vulkan is marked as "Beta" in POE game.

So this could be really a driver bug. I'm just saying that PASCAL sometimes fails on me. And Pascal is old enough. Ampere is new, so I expect it to have a lot of issues. Especially considering how all the GPUs need a "Game Ready Driver" nowadays, instead of just running more generic software that works 100% stable and performant out of the box with any game.

17. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Ahh GTX1080, how much this card has suffer at the hands of NGreedia, especially after the Sept 2016 drivers who gimped the performance by 4% just to promote the upcoming GTX1080 11Gbps cards.

thesebastian likes this.
  18. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Do not extrapolate from different nodes and designs to define what the other can do.
    Gigabyte, MSI, Asus might cheapen out, but Sapphire and Powercolor will not. Neither AMD reference cards.
    Especially the latter has proven time and again designs armoured tanks not reference boards, with materials and designs going over the top of whats needed and never cheapens out.

19. danny69t

danny69t Member

GPU:
    GTX 1650 Super 4GB
    Fun fact:
    I have a gtx1650 Super and since i updated the driver to 456.38 i got crashes in games also. Reverted to an older driver, all good again.

On Topic: Maybe it's a hardware issue maybe it's a driver issue, or a mix of both.

20. m4dn355

m4dn355 Master Guru

GPU:
    Guru3D 2080 Super H
    It just works not. :mad:

Fediuld likes this.