MSI afterburner alter power limit in driver

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by fenderjaguar, Sep 26, 2020.

1. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar Member

GPU:
    GTX 1650 Super
    all I wanted msi afterburner for was to lower power limit on my GPU. I noticed that even when msi afterburner isn't started with windows, the power limit you have set remains, it is persistent.

does anyone know how it does that, and there is a setting in drivers that can do that?

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

All AMD's settings are persistent during the last few years since introducing Crimson drivers family. Starting from this driver family every single AMD GPU related driver setting you made in any third party software is silently recorded by driver and applied at OS startup without asking you about it. I find such persistent setting auto saving/applying scheme unsafe, that's exactly why MSI AB have option called "Erase autosaved startup settings" for AMD cards, and it is enabled by default.

fenderjaguar likes this.
  3. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar Member

GPU:
    GTX 1650 Super
    wow, aren't you the person that develops these tools? thank you for all that you do!

anyway, thanks for the information, but I am using nvidia gtx 1650 super :) so that must mean nvidia are doing the same thing?

Slappy_G likes this.
  4. cruxys

cruxys Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti FE
    Hello,

I was looking for a post to say this, and wanted to report that since version 4.6.3 beta 2, the power limit and temperature limit are back to default after a reboot. My system uses a MSI Nvidia GTX 1080TI Founders Edition (the driver is a 456.38 in a Win10 Pro, but with the 452.22 or 452.06 the behavior is the same).

I always uses the power limit in 120% and the temperature limit in 90 degrees, but after a reboot, the power limit turns 100% and the temperature limit turns 84 degrees (the defaults of this card).

A curious thing: this settings only are back to defaults on a system reboot, not in a Afterburner restart.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020

5. Unwinder

Those settings are not persistent on NV side. Check your startup settings and startup software.

6. Unwinder

What’s a point in reporting “the same” in someone else’s thread when in fact you talk about 180 degree different issue? And no, are no changes in that area in 4.6.3 beta 2. Cannot help you with that.

7. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar Member

GPU:
    GTX 1650 Super
    oh ok, the "startup" windows logo with a red line around it in the afterburner window, that's different to the "start with windows" tickbox in the MSI afterburner properties?

may I ask how these settings are applied at startup, if msi afterburner is not actually running? I see no instances of it in processes or details tab in task manager.

8. Unwinder

I cannot help you further with it, sorry.

9. cruxys

cruxys Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti FE
    Sorry for this. I really don't know where post this issue (in a new post or in a post talking about power limit).
    :(

10. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Yes, they are different.
    In the properties it is to start MSI AB with windows, no settings applied at startup with this option.
    The Windows logo with the red line around it is for applying the current settings at startup when activated.
    But I think unwinder means you should look at some other startup apps which can alter GPU settings.

11. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar Member

GPU:
    GTX 1650 Super
    I don't have any other startup apps (see first attachment).

It seems to alter the power limit at startup, all you need is the red windows logo activated. you don't actually need msi afterburner to be running (however, if you unistall msi afterburner, the power limit will go back to normal.

first make sure your voltage, power limit, overclocks etc are dialed in, then apply them with the tick logo, then make sure the windows logo with startup red logo is selected, then click tick logo again, then click save disk logo and then click profile one.

just keep pressing the tick logo and save disk logo several times until you are sure everything is saved. then open the afterburner properties and make sure "start with windows" tickbox is checked (although, for me, it doesn't seem to be neccessary, as my power limit is applied at statup without msi afterburner having to be started with windows). see second attached image.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020