DRS + DLSS in Future Titles

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by BlindBison, Mar 4, 2020.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Currently there are some titles on PC that support "Dynamic Resolution Scaling" (Titanfall 2 for example). What this does exactly is covered here by Digital Foundry here: where they talk about a recent mod that unlocks DRS from the console versions of the DOOM 2016 on PC with some very interesting results.

One thing I'd be very curious to see is "Dynamic Resolution Scaling" combined with Nvidia's "Deep Learning Super Sampling" (which has reportedly been dramatically improved in its latest release in Wolfenstein Young Blood). This could be especially interesting for users who would rather vary the image resolution than the framerate/users who are targeting a specific framerate where presently DLSS only works off a static resolution that never varies with load.

So, for example, of course DOOM 2016 does not have DLSS support (though DOOM Eternal likely will), but imagine you as a user are attemping what Alex is attempting in that DF video linked above where you want a locked 60 fps on midrange hardware with your high resolution monitor.

DRS can get you there, but you all it does is standard/traditional upscaling -- instead, one could theoretically "upgrade" that upscaling to image reconstruction like DLSS. Would be really interesting to test/see results for I think.

Smough and pharma like this.
  2. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Sure if you don't mind your game occasionally looking like ass.
    I'd rather have traditional upscaling personally. And DRS I can see a use for in specific circumstances, though i'd still rather have a stable level of performance and consistent image quality at a lower resolution instead of dynamic resolution where it's constantly shifting. TAA already causes enough issues with image quality consistency. Let alone dynamic res with DLSS that might only kick in when performance drops the resolution. It would look like ass to my eyes. (And DLSS shares some issues with TAA). The one video i've seen with supposed "DLSS 2.0" still looks awful.

At that point i'd opt to play it on a different lower resolution monitor/TV instead. But the more options the merrier. I'm sure for many it would be an acceptable option.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  3. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    DLSS only performs optimally on a limited set of resolution ratios (render/display), so it's not very scalable (this dynamic switch would be on/off rather than steps between 0.75x, 0.5x, etc).
    Edit: Ah! I wasn't aware DLSS 2.x allows much more flexibility with the ratios than 1.x did.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    BlindBison likes this.
  4. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Yup! I think I saw an article recently where they’ll start supporting drs + DLSS! Very exciting

5. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    Source?

6. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Aren´t DSR and DLSS the complete opposite??? DSR renders the game at an higher resolution and then downscales the image to fit at a lower resolution while DLSS renders the game at a lower resolution and then upscales the image with the help of AI to improve the output, so how can they be used at the same time???

I´m missing something here or thinking the wrong way about this?

Also i think almost every game supports DSR because i use it in every game and so far i´m yet to see a game that doesn´t support it.

7. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    I can see some YT video where DSR + DLSS is used in Control, Death Stranding, but that is all I could find.

8. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    https://m.hexus.net/tech/news/graph...21-delivers-vr-8k-dynamic-resolution-support/

> “Dynamic resolution support. The input buffer can change dimensions from frame to frame while the output size remains fixed. If the rendering engine supports dynamic resolution, DLSS can be used to perform the required upscale to the display resolution.“

@Terepin

So, not in any games “yet” that I know of, but in the future should be supported if I’m understanding this correctly.

9. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    DRS =/= DSR.
    DRS is upscaling, where the resolution is chosen depending on the FPS target. That combined with DLSS 2.0 could make the jumps to lower resolutions less noticable.

BlindBison likes this.
  10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Allowing downsampling from 7680x4320 with the up to 9x scaling now could also be interesting for image quality for downsampling yet combined with the reconstruction from a much lower display resolution.
    Think that was 1920x1080 -> 7680x4320 and then any possible combination for DLSS 2.1 here but I don't know if it's a software or hardware lock for the ultra performance scaling or how this new method was called for Ampere GPU's only.

Still a ways to go though, motion vectors and elements that might be missed so implementation has to be pretty thorough, think that's what it was that broke some particle and shader effects in Death Stranding though for the performance boost and the ability to downsample and reconstruct into super sampling resolutions might be worth the trade-off or just the native resolution at a faster framerate plus some TAA plus sharpening I think is also utilized somewhat?

Some fine tuning of image stability and reducing errors or glitches/missing effects from both NVIDIA and the game developers though it's also limited by needing game implementation which I was expecting to be resolved eventually but might reduce quality compared to a custom per-game or per-engine implementation of this.

EDIT: VR as a possible usage area too but motion stability is important same as frame rate here though NVIDIA's earlier mode of scaling the edges around the center of the display area more could be a thing but there's also variable rate shading for that sort of stuff used in I think Wolfenstein New Colossus as one of the earlier titles demonstrating this effect.
    (Shadow Warrior 2 before that for straight up scaling the resolution down I think it was.)

Though I can only judge from comparison videos and screenshots which isn't quite the same, images might have the detail quality and all that but would be static too.

Videos at least for the 'Tube would be heavily compressed even with high resolution recording from my knowledge on how it's processed here.