GeForce RTX 3080 users report crashes while gaming

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I think it must have been to hide performance, yes.

2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    THAT may be what allowed the problem to escape detection.

XenthorX likes this.
  3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Inevitably.

But jeez I hope I'm right about saying that, I read it a few days ago and cant locate where.
    [blush]

XenthorX likes this.
  4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Mufflore likes this.

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Indeed.
    HH states

6. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    From now on, a degree in electrical engineering is required for someone to be able to do an educated GPU purchase... Or maybe spend a few weeks dwelling tech forums to discover the good cards...

Or say f*** this and just buy the shiny one.:p

7. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Waiting for the panic sellers of previous gens big boy cards to half their prices is option too!:D

XenthorX likes this.
  8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    One more reason to wait for the 3080 20GB or whatever it will be called, as surely those will have beefed up capacitors. Hell, probably even the 3070 and 3060 will look much better.

DannyD likes this.
  9. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Yes totally agree, the 3070 and 3060s are gonna benefit from this and these 10gb 3080s we'll need to be careful with.

AuerX likes this.
  10. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    PCB design is more like a general guiding line, the components that you use, manufacturer, etc is a different story.
    Nvidia gives freedom to what components they can use - here is some of the price difference between AIB's - otherwise the competition between them would be crippled.
    For the sake of example: they can choose some best quality capacitors made by a reputed manufacturer or some low quality cheaper ones - the pcb design says 5 uF capacitors but not what manufacturer for them, type and quality standard.

At least I think that because otherwise it would be very bad publicity that Nvidia can not afford right now...and Nvidia may be a lot of things but negligent they are not.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    AuerX likes this.

11. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Depending where you bought your RTX 3080 or 3090 you can ask for refund, that's your statutory right, I think statutory right for refund is 14 days or 30 days depending on country, if you bought it from Amazon then its no issue with refund amd restocking fee although some etailers or retailers can ask for restocking fee

Now for AIB partners, do they retool their PCB and put better or same caps as Nvidia FE, I don't think so, maybe with 16GB or 20GB RTX 3080 they may but now I don't see that coming

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

DannyD likes this.
  12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    A few things went wrong.

This is nothing to do with PCB design or component quality, its down to choosing the right part for the job.
    Smaller caps were needed where larger ones were placed.

This could have been spotted earlier but the software NVidia provided to test the cards with didnt reveal the issue. There was no driver for testing at that time.
    It was only when reviewers had the cards and the first driver was used that the problems emerged.
    NVidia delayed the reviews so the faulty cards could be replaced.
    No review mentioned this issue yet it is proven.

13. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    I don't think that you can ask for a refund.
    Nvidia stands by the standard frequency clock and does not guarantees the boost frequency and the problems appear at boost frequencies and not nominal ones - what can be done is a firmware update to downclock the cards plagued by this problem to frequencies closer to the nominal frequency.
    Granted, you will never reach a big boost frequency but also this is not guaranteed - so no refund - just bad luck, greedy manufacturers and a lesson to be learned: never buy at launch date!
    Of course if a partner choose to refund or replace the cards that's good for them but it is not automatically guaranteed.
    A big surprise for me is gigabyte: I expected this problem on cheaper cards made by Gainward, Zotac, Palit - not big names in this field (actually gainward was once but not anymore...) and generally known for lower price cards because of lower quality components and cooling solutions but now I see that Gigabyte also used the problematic design and in their case I think that is just pure greed.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    jura11 likes this.
  14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You can ask for a refund, the cards crash unless downclocked.

alanm likes this.
  15. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Not at the nominal frequency - which is the one guaranteed - nobody guarantees boost frequency - not for CPU's (amd ryzen boost not reaching advertised speed - did you heard about refunds???) and not for GPU's.
    Firmware update to lock the card at nominal frequency is the first and effective solution and replacement/refund only IF they want to do it.

AuerX likes this.

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Getting a refund has nothing to do with frequency, the cards crash under normal use.
    NVidia can fix it but a buyer does not need to accept a remedy on a faulty brand new purchase, they can refuse the product due to it not working and lack of confidence

mohiuddin likes this.
  17. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    It seems that everyone agree that the lack of ability for AIB partners to test on real world applications instead of Nvidia obscur tests was the root of the issues.
    If Nvidia wanna keep this process, which did maintain secrecy to the end afterall, they'll need to update their testing suite accordingly, as simple as that.

18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    The only fix for cards already made is to limit the upper limit of the cards boost via a VBios update.

And as long as the cards run at 1710 MHz or higher they don't have to accept a warranty claim either, because it will still work as advertised as anything above 1710 MHz is a free bonus.

19. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Don´t you guys have a 30 day refund period were you can return the product in case you don´t like it or want it?

20. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    For purchases made online, you have the right to return the item without even providing any explanation for return. You shall be given full refund, excluding special circumstances.

GOD BLESS European Union
    :)

-Tj-, XenthorX and Undying like this.