Serious Sam 4

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Horus-Anhur, Jul 15, 2020.

1. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Where do I find it to edit or force Vulkan? I tried searching for it where I'd install SS4 and can't seem to find it. MSorry, I suck at this...

2. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Played 3 levels, texture for one door was missing, did not pay attention if there was something else. No problems with water. No performance issues (default setting, only checked that resolution was 2560*1440). Few parts has small fps drops which was, not too bad. Running on GTX1660Ti.

This was not 60€ game, but 40€. Surely not cheap, but still. Looks and feels like Serious Sam, graphics could be better and snow based on trailers does look bad. Good thing is that the amount of enemies coming does keep you busy so not much time to pay attention to graphics.

Liking it so far. Not sure about the day one patch mentioned. When I downloaded the game is was like 20mb and then had to download the rest (39gb) when I started the game. I did not download 39gb twice and not sure if there was a patch after I played that.

AsiJu likes this.
  3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Think I'll wait for a sale and grab it then, then.

4. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    a friend of mine bought it, he told me the game is a mess and no where near the older SS games.
    also considering going for a sale, il follow Steam reviews, comments in this topic and decide.
    disappointing in general to see those reviews.

5. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The Day 1 patch was already included in the game files, the 39gb download was the game + the update.

Steam glitched when the game released, only downloading the exe at first. Restarting Steam would trigger it to download the game (the 39gig).

Tat3 likes this.
  6. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    For me the resource usage and CPU scaling in this game is atrocious.
    For the reference, my rig is:
    4770K @ 4.1GHz
    16GB RAM
    RTX 2070 (overclocked)
    W10 pro with HAGS ON

When i force the game to use absolute (customized below official lowest preset) lowest settings, it will fluctuate between 70 and 140 frames. Tryharding it by using DX12 with Variable Rate Shading to get ABSOLUTE minimum yields GPU/CPU usage between 20 to 30% with the game/engine making no effort to take up more in order to increase the framerates. Even by that point there areas which can (albeit very rarely) drop to ~55fps when enemies start spawning.

CPU and GPU memory settings have mostly reasonable impact on performance and i can set them to ultra with ~10 FPS loss whilst in terms of "GPU Speed" settings anything above lowest will instantly kick me out of "guaranteed 60FPS" category. Realistically there isn't much of a performance difference between low/medium and ultra, any of those will run between 40 to 60 FPS no matter what. Even the autodetected "optimal" settings at DX11 (which is supposedly the "intended" at the moment API according to the developers) game struggles to reach constant 60.

However above Low preset only DX11 is technically functional as both Vulkan and DX12 will start stuttering like crazy bazed on camera position/rotation, at first i though it was lazy shader initialization but it seems with both APIs the game does actual shader compiling during level load (and boy 80-90 second loading times off an SSD). They also cause 80-100% CPU load whilst GPU load drops to around 40% both can be offset by SSAA which at 4x causes CPU load to drop to around 60% with GPU load being near perfect 100% (doesn't seem overloaded) however this is just juggling limtations as framerate stays in same 40-60 range no matter how hard you try to balance and optimize it.

It's a mess.

Attached Files:

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Watched Worth A Buy's review and if that is any indication I might grab this now anyway and hope the kinks get ironed out.

He emphasized the fun factor and that's what I really want.

Video:

8. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Yes it is fun, when it works at least.

If you haven't bought it yet i would advise waiting at least for the very first patch to come (besides the supposed day 0 one which from my perspective didn't change much or if it did i don't want to imagine what kind of a mess pre-release build was) as it will probably be very indicative of how fast Croteam can bring the game up to a shape, might take weeks, might take months or a year.

As it is now if you watch/read reviews every 2nd one mentions poor performance(issue i can personally vouch for) and every 3rd one mentions crashes(thankfully not my problem). It's pretty much a russian roulette, some people say it runs "okay" but it's always some broad general statement without tangible numbers whilst rest has less than ideal experience.

It's not a bad game, it really isn't but it's pretty clear Devolver gave Croteam an ultimatum that the game is to be released here and now and it shows (not that i blame the publisher, they probably had their reasons).

AsiJu likes this.
  9. OpenSystem

OpenSystem Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Game is good and is a lot of fun.

My first impression.

"After having read many of the complaints and negative reviews, there is one thing that is clear to me as an old school (1990s) gamer, the next generation of gamers are acting like spoiled children.

To have SS4 released (even with it bugs) this year 2020! is frankly a good thing and ppl should be grateful.

SS4 is technically the logical step forward from Serious Sam Fusion.

Sure, there are bugs and performance issues at launch but given Croteam’s track record with their passion and support for SS (Just look at what they did with SS Fusion) all these issues will no doubt be ironed out.

Be patient gamers of 2020 this is no better or worse of a release than SS3 back in 2011 with the hardware of that era.

Enjoy it now and watch as Croteam continue to make SS4 fantastic over the weeks and months to come.

Quick whining and have fun! Seriously :D"

[​IMG]

https://iili.io/2alYlt.jpg

Game Settings:

DX11

1440p @ 144Hz G-Sync

CPU = Ultra
    GPU = Ultra
    GPU Memory = High

3090x @ 4.35Ghz, All cores.
    2070 Super.

For me, streaming LOD has minimal stutter compared to what I've read.

DX12 and Vulkan have the "reported" stutters for me. DX11 is quite smooth, lags (FPS drop) through LOD rather than stutter.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    Archvile82 and AsiJu like this.
  10. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I seriously can't tell the difference between this and SS 3 BFE from 9 years ago.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Until this goes on sale and patched few times you should seriously wait. You see what i did there? :p

Hopefuly their next game will go away from this setting and try something different, perhaps something like SS2.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Thanks guys, good to know.

Croteam will surely support this game as indeed they released Fusion in 2017.
    Which is bloody great, HD rereleases of FE and SE look even better and it improves performance of BFE notably.

Which is also part of why I might just buy this now, to support Croteam.

Seriously.

OpenSystem likes this.
  13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I support Croteam, I own every SS game since 2000. But this is just a joke. SS was all about two things, blasting a huge amount of enemies, and the pretty graphics. This game is total dog crap when it comes to graphics. This is a serious failure.

14. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    well the thing is.. my friend told me that blasting enemies is just like previous SS,
    graphics are a mess ( Vega card ), conversations\voices are a mess and the general performance is not worth any sum of money. im reading mixed reviews in Steam and i see comments in this
    topic that are also mixed. i love Croteam's games and i also own all of the SS games in my library so i don't think im gonna pass on this game, but its very disappointing since i wanted to play it this
    weekend. hopefully they will release patch or two very soon.

@Damien_Azreal - about the writing of this game, i don't understand why they chose to go this way. i didn't see a solid "story review" just yet, but as others posted already, SS doesn't need
    it. the magic in this game was really about it's killing grounds and unique graphics.

jbscotchman likes this.
  15. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    I've been trying to get the game working "reasonably" over past 2 days but it seems entirely impossible on my setup.
    Only way to keep it in ~95% 60 FPS range is to drop everything down to below lowest, then performance will hover mostly around 60 and above within the 30-40% resource usage range.

Anything above will regularly go below 60 FPS simply because game rarely if ever uses more than 40-60% of GPU/CPU unless it bugs out on DX12/Vulkan and bumps CPU to 100% while GPU sits at 40%, SSAA can offset it but it's always same framerate in the end.

In the end i guess i prefer it to look "decent" and drop than having N64 experience which still drops below 60fps for ~5% of the experience either way.

Only thing i think that somehow objectively improved the experience was disabling the Hardware Accelerated Graphics Scheduler in W10 as it seemed to greatly decrease stutters in DX12/Vulkan (but not entirely)

Attached Files:

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Well went and bought, downloading now. Can always refund if it's a total mess.

Will report the experience here.

coc likes this.
  17. OpenSystem

OpenSystem Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    For Vulkan and DX12

Try adding Sam4.exe to Windows defender exemption list and also disable all 22 exploit protection settings for Sam4.exe

[​IMG]

Last night I found that the Vulkan stutters eventually disappear the longer you play.

Edit: Just launched to test again this morning, Vulkan no longer stutters.

Maybe its just shader caching at the beginning of the switch to Vulkan API?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    AsiJu likes this.
  18. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Played through it on normal. Starts much faster than SS3, so that's good. I still like the art style over the more cartoonish looks before. Had some serious stutter with DX11 but found out that Vulkan works best for me.
    I like a lot of the new enemies and it can get quite intense even on normal, some parts were frustratingly difficult.
    Not a lot of bugs as shown in many videos but then I again I rarely play version 1.00. Got the GOG version.

It's pretty good, they do things a bit differently, and it can get a bit messy with other AIs running around as you will likely to try to shoot them instead of the actual enemies.
    It's fun how the game has conditioned one to expecting always there to be enemies once you pick up a lone health bar or ammo.

It's certainly not awful as some say. Give it a go, but perhaps even wait for a patch or two.
    Seems that the game is heavily compressed so opening up a level takes time and if you change the API mid game it seems to need to reload some assets once again so this becomes slow.
    Start by selecting the API before you load up a game for a smoother experience.

Edit: the motorcycle level in France looks absolutely horrid, but most of the experience is not that poor graphically.

AsiJu likes this.
  19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Certainly sounds like it.

Anyhow my less than badass internet connection will soonish have the game downloaded so I'll get to see for myself what all the fuss is about.

20. OpenSystem

OpenSystem Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Play on Hard difficulty :)

Also be aware that, depending on monitor tech (IPS,VA,TN), any post process image enhancements/sharpening techniques (monitor/display driver, or in game FIDELITYFX CAS) will make tree leaves look quite bad, similar to what happens with the original Crysis.

But that's a little subjective, some may like it on their respective monitor.