Serious Sam 4

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Horus-Anhur, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/serious-sam-4

ATM 14 positive and 14 mixed. Same metascore for SS3.

2. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Damn, the game crashed on both my RX VEGA64 rigs.....I think it's due to driver, though I don't hear of anyone else complaining of crashes. Gonna install in my HTPC - GTX 1080 + i7 4770K + 16GB RAM - I hope it's good enough to handle the game.

3. dezo

dezo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Looking at the gman video, this seems to be total garbage. Models, scenery, textures, lighting, skyboxes, animations, collisions, vegetation, ... all pathetic. Like if some kid slaps together generic assets in unity engine. What happened to Croteam? It has been 9 years since SS3 and they release this?

First that underwhelming Crysis "remaster" and now SS4.
    Well at least I have Doom 2016/Eternal where developers actually bothered with gameplay/graphics polishing and engine optimizations before releasing it.

4. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    Downloading now. Seems there's a trend with the reviews: Janky, dated visuals but great, satisfying gunplay. Also sounds like the Legion System is a tad misleading and only used in 2 very short scenes. I knew it was too good to be true.

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Okay, won't buy yet. At least waiting for issues to be patched but tbh am a bit disappointed anyway by what I've watched and read.

Can anyone having the game confirm if it's actually any fun?

Wait, there are skill upgrades and side quests too?

Eeeeehh..... why?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  6. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Yeah, this game needs quite many patches

Kolt likes this.
  7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Im sure its fun and there will be a proper patch to all this but some of the technical issues will remain. I've heard performance is also subpair with many texture popins and stuttering.

8. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    PC gamer(US) scored the game 71/100.

9. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Serious Sam used to be a benchmark for graphics. What happened?

Undying and jbscotchman like this.
  10. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070

Take his "review" with a grain of salt.
    He played a pre-release build. An unfinished build so he could have a review up on release day. Missing final updates, fixes and the Day 1 patch.

I've been playing the game all day, and have had none of the "issues" he shows in his review.
    I've had one graphical bug with water reflections appearing low-res and pixelated. But, performance has been solid... only dipped under 60fps in one huge fight with a LOT of explosions.
    And, the Serious Engine always offers tons of settings to mess with to find that perfect balance.

11. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    will give it a few weeks before buying.

Kolt likes this.
  12. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Indeed. I still remember running Serious Sam: the first encounter demo, 20 years ago, and being just blown away by those graphics.
    And that was just the icing on the cake. Gameplay was eve better.

It's sad that they are trying to make Serious Sam more like COD...

Serotonin likes this.
  13. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    Quoted for absolute truth. Spent an hour on it and not a single blip under DX11. I tried Vulkan but it crashed the game. So i'm at ultra @ 1440p and the game barely misses a beat. I absolutely adore the animations of the Werebulls. The game does feel a little rough in areas (iffy animations on NPCs, weird eyes, etc) but the core gameplay is solid and above all, fun. Oh, and the gore is luscious!!

AsiJu and cerebus23 like this.
  14. dezo

dezo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    OK, watched some more videos and it doesn't look that shitty. Seems to be on par with SS3, maybe a little better. Which is not great either, but with solid gameplay I don't care. Don't know why gman posted it in that state, it really looks frightening in his review.

15. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah, Croteam have never been good with animations for humans/NPCs. They were really stiff and odd in Sam3. 4 thankfully uses motion capture... so it's a little better.

I was thinking about trying Vulkan, curious if anyone else had tried it. If if improved performance any.

16. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    as written in one of the reviews.:
    This game looks and feels like it was suppose to be released 10 years ago, but they forgot to publish it.

17. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    It feels like Serious Sam.
    And, it looks like Sam3, better in some ways. Some elements, like water reflections... seem broken. But, I would disagree with that statement.

18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Seems this is rather underwhelming, not to mention the insane amount of bugs and graphical glitches.

This "Ship Now, Patch Later" mentality is starting to get old real fast, i mean what the hell, a 39GB day one patch, what the actual frack?

Atleast implent delta updates then.

Kolt likes this.
  19. Caenyss

Caenyss Active Member

GPU:
    7900 XT
    Hi, I also couldn't start the game on my Vega 56. I got it working after manually setting the game to start on Vulkan instead of DX11.

You could try the same at \Steam\userdata\xxxxx\257420\local\SeriousSam4.ini -> gfx_strAPI = "Vulkan";

This game runs like crap though, it's seriously (no pun intended) unbelievable how they released it in this state. It needs a few patches and hopefully some help from newer drivers to make this game a smooth play.

20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I switched over the Vulkan, no crash. Is running great.
    Vulkan is definitely smoother.

Maybe Nvidia will push out a Game Ready Driver for Sam 4.