Microsoft CEO: company isn't finished buying game studios

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Nothing Sega has is going to be smash hit, which got them in to financial trouble in the first place. Lazy ports, unfinished, buggy Sonic games.

2. TheSissyOfFremont

TheSissyOfFremont Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Xbox don't only need smash hits - they need volume to fill out game-pass.

They can't release 2 AAA games a month.

3. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    I will not buy any new MS games or EA...

4. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    What about Battlefield 6?

5. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Business-wise, if I was MS, I actually would make a bid at least for EA. This would drive the western audience with FIFA/Madden/MMA/Boxing, followed by 2K for NBA and Wrestling games (and ofcourse GTA6). Next, buy up Codemasters for rally and F1 racing games and finally a generous bid for Capcom for fighting and horror games.

The Xbox then ends-up being the best sports games machine with some big AAA franchises on top.

6. Freitlein

Freitlein Member

GPU:
    VII
    I have said it again and again: we have pirated far too little! They (the big brother companies, that destroy your freedom and eat your kids) had money to bribe the press, so they always had more than enough of it.
    Yes, I am a click-byte victim.

7. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I'm not a subscriber. However, when people are broke, why wouldn't they support this? The world has changed and I can see that their plan might just work. When it comes to platform popularity and sustainability, then, it's all about exclusives. Even timed helps.

Anyway, I must separate what I think such a corp should do and what I personally want them to do.

P.S. as far as I can tell as long as I've been here, it's been a Microsoft future. Correct me if I'm wrong.

8. Elfa-X

Elfa-X Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800 XT
    Guys, guys, guys. Obviously they intend to buy Ubisoft.

9. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    "Noooooo I want to spend $70 on digital games I still dont technically own"
    Steam is a subscription service too you know. And the second someone wanted to compete with them (Epic) everyone loses their mind. Also as someone who used to spend $6-8 on 3 day game rentals at blockbuster as a kid, I fail to see how $15 for a month of 100s of games is bad.

10. Legacy-ZA

Legacy-ZA Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070Ti TUF
    I am still waiting for the Freelancer game remake and a sequel to it...

Morax likes this.

11. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    No

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I do hope the next elder scroll comes to ps5 and pc (threw steam) not only threw there MS store

13. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I've yet to purchase a game through MS store, hopefully will never have to, windows is bad enough.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I have not and I will not just like I wont get games from Origin what ever that want to call it now. I wanted DA:I for PC and I would bought threw steam if went thew steam and only steam but EA will let you buy it threw steam but you must still have origin account and client installed.

I said it before I will say it again I am NOT unboard this BS that everyone and there mother need to have there client/store and that I need to have freaking user/pass for all them. Steam is convenient to me this dozen upon dozens of user pass need to play again from different dev that need there client is not Convenient to me. forget about the exclusive to this store crap that is going on. I not saying Steam should be only place to sale games I saying dev should let the platform of customer choice sell they game and let play they game with need for another client/user pass.

Only thing Bethesda has that I care about is Elderscrolls games. Doom remakes are ok but I play the campaign beat it then dont play it again. Elderscroll game on other hand I stoped count once i past 5000+ hours in to skyrim and that not count the other elderscroll games

15. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Origin is worse, always updating, Ubi is pretty much same and they carve the game up and give tiny pieces out as rewards.
    I like epic as you can load game directly with no client, the faster i can get into a game the better the experience, i've got rdr2 to play but the massive wait ...saying that i've my games on a drive from my laptop, a hynix nvme :p, all the same the rockstar client is a drag and has been partly keeping me away from playing. I can load up Control and be playing in seconds for ex.

16. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    This is precisely what they should have done instead of buying Minecraft for the ridiculous overkill price of $2B. As far as game pass (for PC) goes, I had a terrible experience with it in December '19 with the game The Outer Worlds. Don't know if they changed it since, but I will recount the basics briefly:

*Rented it through the Game Pass for PC, which I already had activated from an AMD product bundle. It had the absolute worst, most Draconian copy protection scheme I've ever seen. It was so bad that not only could I not run it from the game's executable--because the Game Pass for PC entry point for its games was horrible--and I could not mod the game at all. I couldn't even look at the saved games without changing the ownership of the saved game files in Windows--but when I did that the copy protection wouldn't let me load them. Joy.

*So then I decided to buy the game outright from Game Pass for PC through the MSFT Store, thinking I'd get a clean copy of the game by paying for it--as I could half-understand why MSFT might do that with a rental copy. No difference at all! Amazing. Just awful.

*Asked MSFT for my money back because of the copy protection--or a clean copy of the game that I could mod, etc. MSFT was nice enough to refund the full amount and I happily deleted that junk from my hard drive--as the copy protection would at least let me do that much...;)

*Bizarrely, the game was only offered through the MSFT store or the EGS, so I checked out EPIC's store and bought it for $10 less than the MSFT Store had charged me ($44.99--EGS 34.99) and there was no copy protection! I could mod the game, run it from its own executable, look at my saves with wild abandon, etc. ad infinitum. Is this the kind of crap console owners have to go through after paying though the nose for their titles? Never again. I'd love to know if anyone knows if they've changed policies through PC Game Pass in the MSFT store. I hope so--because that's no way to sell games to paying customers, imo!

DannyD likes this.
  17. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    Always look to monopolize

18. We should be so lucky. EA sucks. Microsoft brought us Halo.

19. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Conspiracy theories aside, the more logical path we shall take is support indie games and free software movement.
    Piracy isn't the answer. Not at all.
    Developing requires knowledge and time. Devs HAVE to feed their families. Support small studios, free software with donations.
    Pirating is : teaching our peaceful ways through force" situation.
    When yourself code and bashed your head to develop just a webapp and someone steals that, that's when you go full Blitzkrieg on the thief...and you can stop for a second and see the bitter irony...
    Simply don't buy products from companies you don't like. It's that simple.

20. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Ooh, Halo is the most overrated franchise ever. It's like the Fast and the Furious of gaming. So generic and bland.