GeForce RTX 3080 users report crashes while gaming

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    yikes staying on my 2070s and waiting for Big Navi is looking better and better

Fediuld likes this.
  2. Pr3t3nd3r

Pr3t3nd3r Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Nvidia GTX
    I have a Gainward GS RTX 3080 and so far so good. But Hitman 2 is crashing all the time and interestingly Escape From Tarkov as well. All other games are working with 0 problems. Escape From Tarkov has restarted my PC once with the audio driver fault so it could be something with the Windows 2004 update or/and drivers from Nvidia. GPU clocks never go higher than 1985 so it seems this is a problem with the driver itself and not a HW issue. There are games that are far more demanding than those two and I have tested (tested over 50 games and 0 problems) for several days and nothing happened. As soon as I launch Escape From Tarkov or Hitman 2 crashes occur.

3. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    And this is based on your experience or?
    I have Asus Dual RX580 4Gb and the card has bad coil whine. By removing the factory OC and underclock a bit as also undervolt I have the card running cool, silent and with minimal performance loss. Running her at 1330Mhz (AMD ref is 1340, factory OC is 1360) and 1025mV (from factory 1150mV).

You do have a point with OC, pushing components to the limits might sound fun, but also pushes the life expectancy to oblivion. 10 years ago would be ok, hardware was made to last a decade. Now things are just not made to last.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    This will probably be the time amd takes the lead in gpu clocks. rumors are for the big navi to have ps5 clocks speeds.

5. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    I remember buying my GTX 580 3Gb and it needed more voltage right out of the gate. Evga told me to install afterburner and raise the voltage .015v and I should be fine. And guess what.....I was.

Just weird that a seven hundred plus dollar piece of equipment needed tinkering right out the gate to work properly. Crysis 2 was the game that brought it to its knees as well. Still have me some YouTube videos up about that game. Ah that nostalgic feeling....

Anyone scoop up a 3090 yet?!?!

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I'll try to remember that.

7. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Tough luck of all 3080 owners...

If the coil whinning started under the warranty, you should have sent it back.

8. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    My Gigabyte GTX1070 started whining 2 or so years after I bought it. Strangely it only happened in one specific game too. So far my Gigabyte 2070S hasn't made any noises in that game.

9. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Same here. Going to just play console stuff until a refresh comes out, even a 20gb version of 3080 - as long as this issue is worked out. I don't think it's a huge issue. But then again, first gen bugs are always a question mark.

10. loracle

loracle Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    For sure it's based on my experience, and i still recommend to buy a factory satisfactory overclocked card and never touch the frequencies, but in your case with the 580 i can understand that you had no choice.

11. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Yep happened to my 1070 but after 2 years. It was stable for 2 years and then went unstable. Had to remove the factory overlock (which was super small).

12. loracle

loracle Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    I can understand to underclock temporary to solve the problem, but in general playing with cards frequencies is not a good idea, specialy for a long period of time.

13. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I wonder if the 20gb version will have any real world benefits over the 10gb version. I mean will the Vram run cooler because theres much more of it or will it cause more issues because it will require even more juice to run in the first place.

If there's a way of running some sort of algorithm in the drivers to share the Vram load out over all the 2gb chips instead of maxing those 1gb chip out.

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I read comment the higher memory versions will have higher GPU clocks which seems counter intuitive.
    I'm struggling to see how this is possible unless they either increase TGP or use the very highest binned cores that dont use so much power to get high speeds.
    ie the extra memory will consume power that needs to be accounted for somehow.

Only if they increase TGP will overall heat produced increase.
    Otherwise it will just shift from the core to the new memory chips.
    Their might even be binning of memory chips, using ones that use less power, and/or reduce the clock of memory a little to keep overall power use in line.

It makes more sense that the 20GB cards are better binned but do not run faster, keeping the same TGP.

15. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    No. Best gpu coolers ever, AND performance per watt is great.

performance per watt 3090.PNG

16. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Ordered 2x 3090 strix oc, waterblocks and nvlink from nvidia. Ready for Blender OptiX :D

Maddness likes this.
  17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    display engine only refers to nvidia, no idea what AMD calls their scanout block.

Remember the early 2080 issues with some monitors?, the display engine was the issue there too.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  18. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    I was really looking forward to 3080 during holidays... But this sounds like RTX Beta 2. Hopefully they are able to resolve them with some updates.

19. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah I remember though I think it was something about a defect rate and RMA's but I might be thinking of the earlier 1080 GPU's here and a separate problem...memory module related?

AMD's having similar issues too so I'm probably confusing it with some of that too they still have a couple of outstanding variable rate refresh and FreeSync problems plus multi-monitor issues and a black screen issue recoverable by either turning of and on the display or using the Win+Ctrl+Shift+B hotkey to restart the display driver stack of the OS.

(Kinda hard to track what's been fixed specifically here since it's a bit ubiquitous in description as a catch-all for several separate problems and fixes or workarounds for these.)

RDNA1 as a new step from GCN and all new issues, RDNA2 as a further step and it's looking like the initial software and driver state might once again be a bit rough as a result though I'd love to be wrong about that.

NVIDIA at least has the engineers to work on these issues more quickly.
    Eventually perhaps the shift to CDNA and RDNA and gradual end of support for GCN will also benefit AMD from the amount of code buildup since the 7000 series here and maintaining it.

But that's AMD and this here's about NVIDIA.

Will be interesting to see more info as to what this issue stems from, guess if there's no system instabilities hitting a power spike or issues with lower quality or older PSU's isn't it.
    Maybe just heat related after all, memory sensitivity above certain temps leading to instability perhaps but still capable of sustained functionality after the application crashes.

Well some thorough testing will reveal it in due time if it's hardware or just some manufacturing issue with some of the GPU cooler designs and how it's fitted.
    (Plus user specific conditions like ambient temperature and overall case cooling efficiency and airflow or lack thereof.)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  20. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Hope you have the power and cooler ready.
    2x 400-500W GPUes and i think you had a overclocked 18 core Intel, so that will be atleast 500w, that would be a 2000W PSU and atleast 3x480 rads to tame the beast.

I have a solar water heater system with 6m2 panel size, but a computer like that would produce more heat then my solar panels are able to.
    You need a dedicated room aircon or remote mounted radiators, to be able to keep that room comfortable, for more then 1 hour at the time.