Avowed ( by Obsidian Entertainment )

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by UnrealGaming, Jul 23, 2020.

1. TheSissyOfFremont

TheSissyOfFremont Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Has the potential to be really cool.

If that video is correct in speculating that it's a 2022/23 game - could the first person footage from the trailer be their in-game target fidelity?
    That would be great.

Solfaur likes this.
  2. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I guess I'm in some internet minority, but I find The Outer Worlds a nice throwback to the days of Fallout: New Vegas. A lot of people find it crap, though, but I think it's a bit overblown. Then again, I got the game free with a Ryzen 3700x.

I am looking forward to this game as well. I like the Pillars of Eternity world (Eora), and having a nice story to go with it would be a nice experience. We won't see a new SP Elder Scrolls for another 5 years anyhow, I'd wager.

Solfaur likes this.
  3. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    i think the Outer Worlds was ok. a solid AAA game, but nowhere near New Vegas. definitely not a crap
    game :)

emperorsfist likes this.
  4. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Yeah sure, New Vegas was a lot better, but that was also during a time when Obsidian was at a better spot money-wise. Also, it helped that they still had some of the old Fallout people there, so it was a universe they were familiar with. Outer Worlds started development before the Microsoft acquisition, so the situation was shakier then it's (hopefully) now. I really look forward to Avowed, since the universe it takes place in is done and fleshed out (in PoE 1 and 2).

coc likes this.

5. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Outer Worlds was... okay. But, I never felt compared to continue playing.
    The sense of humor did nothing for me, and overall just found it decent, but nothing I felt I "had to finish"... so I left it and never went back.

6. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    The Outer Worlds was somewhat limited in terms of scope, by a very tight budget.
    Combat was just serviceable and graphics were almost bad.
    But the music fit well with the game. Voice acting was really good and dialogue writing was top notch.
    The humor on this game is some of the best I have ever found in a videogame. Though it might not be for everyone's taste.

With a bigger budget and bigger team, this could have been one of the best games of the generation.
    Despite it's problems, it is still much better than everything that Bethesda has made in recent years.

CalculuS likes this.
  7. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Obsidian has amazing writers, it's their strongest asset. I would spend hours in PoE and Tyranny just reading the different books on top of the very complex and in-depth dialogue branches/options. So in that department, I'm not worried in the least with Avowed. It's the gameplay part of it that they need to nail down, since as seen a little bit in the trailer, and because it's a first person RPG, it will be a more "action" oriented experience for sure.

cerebus23, coc and Embra like this.
  8. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    well in our days, i don't think that a good written game with a solid\decent game-play
    is a budget-killer, at least not for a decent\medium sized studio. not every single-player story-based
    game needs to be the next Witcher III or the next GTA in terms of budget. so having said that Obsidian made the Outer Worlds with
    a lesser budget.... well, so what ? they also have some very talented people as already stated before,
    and they have that relevant experience in the industry. i don't think the Outer Worlds was their best work,
    and that's why im cautious with my expectations from this new title.

this is only me but.. the strongest point in New Vegas was experiencing the environment without me talking,
    only exploring and listening. it worked like magic in New Vegas, in STALKER, in Half-Life and so on. altough those
    titles are different in the freedom that the world gives you, they had a big similarity in that "silent main hero"
    type of theme. that's also the main reason i still preferred Dishonored I over the great sequels.
    i find that formula to be extremely.. right on the button. again, that's only me.. did my best
    to explain myself, English is still not my native lang so :)

oh and the point of all this ? i don't like him talking in the trailer.. :)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  9. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Humour in Outer Worlds is decent, even if a bit too restrained. I doubt the game was ever supposed to be overtly funny, though. I preferred it to Bethesda's humour in the Fallout 4 (too on the nose, and Fallout as a series didn't start out as "funny wasteland world"), or to the obnoxious meme-hunting Borderlands 2 and onward did. The less I think about today's Woflenstein (New Collossus and Youngblood) "humour", the better. RAGE 2 would be a bit obnoxious as well, if it all didn't just feel so dumb and poorly done (except the shooting, that was done well).

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  10. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    The humour in The Outer Worlds is somewhat cynical and underplayed not to ruin the gravity of the main story line.
    Considering the dire theme of the story and the way they presented these small jokes, I think that they match really well.

emperorsfist likes this.

11. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Best humor in a FPS will always be the two NOLF games.

emperorsfist and Horus-Anhur like this.
  12. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    So true.
    I still remember sneaking on some soldiers and just sit listening to their problems and just laughing.
    And the bosses, especially the Scottish and that amazing pursuit on a tricycle.

13. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Yes, that is true. That's an almost perfect example of being really funny, but in no way making it obnoxious or distracting. If only more people used it as a benchmark...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  14. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    This has nothing to do with the money. It's very simple; New Vegas is developed with the Fallout 3 SDK, which means that 50% of the game is already finished. So the rest of the job that Obsidian had to do is to create different 3d models, textures, story, quests, etc.
    Obviously this was not the case with the Outer Worlds.

15. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    You are correct. Also, as I've said, the team was already familiar with the Fallout universe. With Open Worlds, they've had to create one from scratch.

16. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I liked Outer Worlds characters, dialogues, never experienced a game with such branching options with visible consequences. Last time I had this experience was with Mass effect original trilogy but on a much less dramatic scale. Never played Vegas. What put me off was the combat system which I felt extremely boring and not satisfying. I wished I could complete the game while skipping fights because I wasn't entertained at all by them.

17. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    The one thing that absolutely stopped me from enjoying outer worlds was parvati.

Noone gives a procreating damn you sheltered shy lesbo strawberry, stop making me do extraordinary errands for your dumb love.

Joking aside the game was a solid 7.5.

Weapon crafting was a bit disappointing since uniques were basically trash because of the tiered weapon system. Game felt a bit tiny aswell. Mediocre perks for the character and companions.

Awesome music and writing however.

18. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Good written game with a good gameplay is always a budget killer. The problem is that smaller studios don't have enough money to advertise it.
    Big studios invest more money into advertising then into production.
    Today things are better for smaller studios because many people advertise games on their yt channels. And much more people have the internet.

19. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Seems like it's going to use Unreal Engine 5.

[​IMG]

emperorsfist and Solfaur like this.
  20. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I have cautious hopes for this game. I'd like Obsidian to score with a fantasy RPG.

Embra likes this.