New Upcoming ATI/AMD GPU's Thread: Leaks, Hopes & Aftermarket GPU's

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Jul 9, 2016.

1. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Some have reported that even after a slight undervolt or underclock the cards gain on stability. Could be PSU BUT it also could mean that the AIBs have OCed the cards a little bit too much.... And given that the clocks were finalized a week or two before the launch (which is literally seconds before pushing the card to the distribution channels)... well... this is a possibility....
    I would expect a new Firmware could fix that (lowering/fine tuning the boost clock and/or power consumption) or if it is an driver issue - a new driver would fix that eventually.
    I just wanted to point out, that the grass is not greener on the.... "green" side and both sides are facing problems... sometimes of different nature yes, but never the less....

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    lukas_1987_dion likes this.
  2. NAZ2222

NAZ2222 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC 6800XT 16G
    lukas_1987_dion, Undying and PrEzi like this.
  3. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    lukas_1987_dion, NAZ2222 and PrEzi like this.

5. NAZ2222

NAZ2222 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC 6800XT 16G
    In a way I think RTG is trying to mend past errors, and the reason the are not launching Zen 3 and RDNA2 in the same date is stock of the gfx, if AIB were available at launch would be amazing :D

PS really wanted an RX 6800 with HBM, but is not in the plans by the rumors...

Undying likes this.
  6. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    If the 6900 series matches or is less than 10% performance down on the RTX3080 and has solid drivers, I will take a very serious look at it.
    I don't do any FPS games...(just simracing), so the video buffer amount and speed should be more than sufficient.
    I really want AMD to be competitive here.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Embra and Maddness like this.
  7. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    You running triples? I sim race on a single 35 inch 3440x1440 100hz panel and my 5700xt does very well. I went from triples to a single monitor.
    Got tired of the problems with eyefinity. It used to be pretty streamlined and worked well. Now its hot trash and a pain in the ass.

8. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I've been analyzing NV's play with Ampere, and how they are literally fscking over their customers. They come out with a baseline model, and a Titan replacement, both are nerfed in some form. (3080 with memory, 3090 with poor rasterization bump from 3080) Both units are not full die units, so the chips aren't at full capacity. They did this intentionally so that they can have a play after RDNA2 releases, and bet on the fact they can really make a full Ampere chip into a hotrod.

So their early adopters get jebaited. They did this with Turing, and the Super releases. They jacked up the pricing more than necessary to deal with cost increases. The performance increases are always about 25% from previous models. Their business model is not about innovation and improving PC gaming; it's about delivering a product and making you reliant upon them. Pushers do this.

What a miserable, evil, and greedy company. I am so glad that they will never see my money ever again. I could care less about who's the better value or performer. The utter contempt for their customer base is downright appalling.

I honestly feel sorry for whomever uses their products, because their only purpose is to get milked, and to accept what is offered, with Marketing making sure you feel good about it and want it, and nobody else can replace them..

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  9. Morax

Morax Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Suprim X
    Not to defend Nvidia, or blame AMD, but I fully expect AMD to release a higher clocked HBM-equipped big Navi at a later date, like early next year, as a response to the 3080 Ti/Super/whatever.

But for now I'm really curious about what AMD is getting on the table end of October. And "where exactly" Navi 21 will turn out to be at "somewhere between the 3070 and 3080".

10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-Hiring-Radeon-Rust

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/iz8ege/amd_is_hiring_to_work_on_new_radeon_driver/

Which also had this post explaining it.

OnnA, lukas_1987_dion and Undying like this.

11. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Phantom GS
    I hope RX 6900 XT (or 6800 XT?) will have HBM2 VRAM, just GDDR6 with 256 or 192 bit bus is a little worrying when it comes to memory bandwidth, or if it's really GDDR6 let it be at least with 384 bit, AMD states that the card will be perfect GPU for 4K gaming, so it would make sense I guess.
    Either way I'm very excited and I'm curious what final specs will be.

Damn, why is time moving so slowly?! Still more than a month of waiting :p

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Could also be varying info to different sources and such to prevent leaks of the real details or track what gets leaked and from where.
    HBM shows up as 256 bit too I believe so there's that but maybe for a future RDNA GPU like RDNA3 next year but it could be used.

Isn't that how they called the Fury 4096-bit and Vega 2048-bit since the Fury was 4x 256-bit HBM chips (1024-bit) and then four of those total for 4096-bit in full whereas Vega only had two stacks so it got 2048 bits.
    Big bus width but the total bandwidth and speed was improved on Vega and Navi improves on it further over Vega even with GDDR6 although it's back to regular 256 bit bus width now. :D

EDIT: What's next anyway here, 5nm I think it was no it's 6nm but it seems to be more about overall density here if I got that right from what I was reading yesterday about TSMC, Zen4 and RDNA3 early rumors.

Well about a bit over a week until the Zen3 details from AMD and then the end of October for Navi2 which will hopefully clear a few things up about these.

13. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Well tbh full 102 ampere is max 2SM more then 3090 so eh not gonna make a difference. While they could release 100 ampere I doubt it as it's a bit different.

lukas_1987_dion likes this.
  14. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Some nice additional information about RDNA2 :

15. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I am waiting and the only benchmark I really care about is 4K RT performance. If AMD has near 60 FPS sustained, with very little difference to min frames, I would give up 100 FPS of peak raster performance.

Maddness likes this.

16. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Thanks for posting! I missed this one.

17. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    If we are talking about GN then you definitely need to see this. I laughed my @ss off :D

lukas_1987_dion and fantaskarsef like this.
  18. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    I'm running a single 1080p G-sync/ FreeSync compatible LG 144Hz IPS panel along with a Lenovo Explorer WMR headset. I was running an MSI GTX1080Ti Duke and it was smooth in every racing sim...even with WMR.

19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    pharma likes this.
  20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    PS5 IO System to Be ‘Supercharged’ by Oodle Texture, Bandwidth Goes Up to 17.38GB/s
    You might remember that the official specifications listed the console's IO bandwidth at 5.5GB/s with uncompressed data and 8-9GB/s with compressed data.
    However, it looks like the partnership with Oodle will allow the PS5 to go much further when it comes to bandwidth peaks with compressed data. We already knew that the PlayStation 5 would support the Kraken hardware decoder, but the folks at Oodle have now unveiled that Sony also licensed Oodle Texture technology, which is optimized for compressing GPU textures.

Oodle Texture is a software library that game developers use at content creation time to compile their source art into GPU-ready BC1-7 formats. All games use GPU texture encoders, but previous encoders did not optimize the compiled textures for compression like Oodle Texture does. Not all games at launch of PS5 will be using Oodle Texture as it's a very new technology, but we expect it to be in the majority of PS5 games in the future. Because of this we expect the average compression ratio and therefore the effective IO speed to be even better than previously estimated.

Kraken is a powerful generic compressor that can find good compression on data with repeated patterns or structure.
    Some types of data are scrambled in such a way that the compressability is hard for Kraken to find unless that data is prepared in the right way to put it in a usable form.
    An important case of this for games is in GPU textures.

[​IMG]

Oodle Kraken offers even bigger advantages for games when combined with Oodle Texture. Often the majority of game content is in BC1-BC7 textures. BC1-7 textures are a lossy format for GPU that encodes 4x4 blocks of pixels into 8 or 16 byte blocks.
    Oodle Krak

en is designed to model patterns in this kind of granularity, but with previous BC1-BC7 texture encoders, there simply wasn't any pattern there to find, they were nearly incompressible with both Zip and Kraken.
    Oodle Texture creates BC1-7 textures in a way that has patterns in the data that Kraken can find to improve compression, but that are not visible to the human eye.
    Kraken can see that certain structures in the data repeat, the lengths of matches and offsets and space between matches, and code them in fewer bits. This is done without expensive operations like context coding or arithmetic coding.

According to Oodle, the previous 8-9GB/s IO bandwidth figure was provided by Sony by multiplying the 5.5GB/s peak bandwidth of the PS5 SSD for the standard compression ratio of 1.45/1 or 1.64/1.
    However, when factoring in both Oodle Kraken and Oodle Texture, the developers of the technology have seen an impressive compression ratio of 3.16/1 for a texture set in a recent game;
    this would translate into an IO bandwidth peak of 17.38GB/s, as mentioned in the headline.

Of course, that may not be typical, and not all PS5 games will necessarily take advantage of this technology to the fullest.
    That said, it does sound like the PlayStation 5 is equipped to remain the leading gaming architecture for quite some time yet when it comes to IO.