Will you buy a 3000-series card?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Sep 2, 2020.

?

I'll get the...

1. 3070

8.3%
  2. 3080

35.4%
  3. 3090

19.2%
  4. No, I'll wait for RDNA2

14.4%
  5. No, I'll wait for Super or Ti models

11.8%
  6. No, I don't need to upgrade at the moment

10.9%
  1. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Hopefully sooner. My retailer have confirmed on stream that they will almost daily receive shipment from various vendors in different quantities.

Dan Longman likes this.
  2. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Have a 2070 Super that I spent too much to get in the midst of the AMD Radeon drivers going full Hindenburg on my modeling here.
    Does not have enough VRAM with 8gb.
    Stupid-proofing hidden in spoiler.
    Not just ALLOCATED, USED @#$%ING VRAM. Period. DO. NOT. ARGUE. NOT. ENOUGH. VRAM.
    Hitching, small freezes, modeling software slowing a 1 or 2 second op down to a 3~5 minute crawl, taskbar wigging out, Windows chastising me about thrashing due to running out of VRAM when <1gb remaining free, and all that.
    8GB not being enough on my barely-half-finished city mod (while modeling any-who), I would deplore that folks think twice before ordering something with 'only' 8~10gb of the card right now. The 3090 looks beautiful - if MASSIVELY overkill on price - with it's 24gb... that'll outlast the card's core power during it's usable life by leaps and bounds, but 8~10gb is something we got with 1070's and 1080's.
    1x DDS compressed texture (and it's req'd layers) in 8k can EASILY take up to 300mb, sometimes more - always more with translucency in some layers.
    A fancy tunnel model (mind you, one third of the tunnel!) can easily top 2 million triangles, especially if foliage models are included and not seeded automatically at the engine level with easily-batch-rendered and sometimes partially or wholly 2D plants. That lasts just the main visible model itself in the 300~500mb range with some model formats (others may be more or less, but the engine can also compress these prior to or at run-time for a nice savings).
    So basically, a few nice concrete textures WITHOUT LAYERING VARIATIONS (which take up additional room) take up almost 1gb... and the model, let's say that compresses to 120mb in VRAM total (for all detail levels combined), and you have over 1gb used just for a stupid tunnel. Not the road texture, not the reflectors, the warning stripes on barriers, the barrier textures, the emergency escape signs/doors etc, not the plants hanging from the ceiling vents which open to the outside at / above each entrance... nope, none of that. Just the concrete superstructure textures. All things considered, after 1~2gb total in just TEXTURES, you start to have most your boxes checked... throw in the model and you're sitting there at 2~2.5gb of VRAM used.

Should have got a Radeon VII with 16gb, used the pro drivers... didn't know I could use pro drivers for it or I'd have had one already and not been here moaning about it.
    So basically now my 2070 Super is a paper-weight and destined for the dust bin by the end of the year, as I've had to get a Quadro card to continue my work.
    Case-in-point: Don't be me. Let me fall for y'all and warn you that nope, 8gb is not enough. It might be just fine in a majority of games you own right now, but there's already a handful of titles that ask for more. Add to this working area for RT to work, the OS's VRAM overhead use, and anything else you might do like add more resources by modding the game of choice, and you can see where this goes, fast.

I've been babbling on about this since the summer when I started running up against the 8gb VRAM wall pretty hard, warning folks that 8gb is alright for 2020, but the year's almost over.

Figures above for space assume best-case use of DDS compression on power-of-2 textures, square shape. I won't even bring up 16k textures yet.
    Figures assume models will be compressed into proprietary binary formats custom to your game engine / use case before or at run-time, to additionally save on VRAM use.
    Of course it takes LESS VRAM to just run the game and not the development tools along-side it, but gaming itself is never far behind what's being developed for reasons which should be readily obvious.
    Make sure you can get correct info with your game's/company's SDK or through a nvidia, intel or AMD (or DirectX) SDK, otherwise you'll get your ears rattled off by noobs/kids thinking they know better than you, all because one of the tech tubers out there brought up 'allocation' in a video and now the child-hood stars of tomorrow (cough, cough) won't stop yammering about it.
    --Spend your money wisely, folks.

Oh, and in other news, yes it's hysterical seeing the prices of 3080's on Ebay, when the sellers, half of which who don't even have them in hand yet, are so hoping they're going to get them reasonably on-time.

3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    'probably' the 3090...massive upgrade tail end of this year, every next year for me. Everything from monitor (4096x2160 10 bit) to Zen3 (threadripper pro) to GPU.

Big upgrades for me...it's been more than 7 years

4. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Yeah, there is some very nice upgrade paths this year and early next. Me myself, I'm in desperate need of a gpu upgrade.

5. MMXMMX

MMXMMX Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 4090 OC
    i have canceled a msi gaming trio x card and re ordered a asus rog strix rtx 3080 gaming oc

Waiting for card to be delivered

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Good choice, but sadly you might be waiting until Nov to get it now.

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    So, I've had my MSI 3080 Gaming X Trio for an evening now and here's a quick review.

The cards size and weight is pretty much the same as my MSI 2080Ti Gaming X Trio although the 3080 is slightly shorter and a tiny bit thicker but generally runs a bit cooler actually despite having smaller fans than the 2080Ti (2080 has one small and two big fans but the 3080 seems to have three smaller ones). Yes, the RGB isn't great but it isn't bad either. Back to the fans, just like the 2080Ti the sound profile is really pleasant and not intrusive at all when you wear headphones (except at 100% of course). As you all know, the fan profile is very conservative and fans only start spinning somewhat fast at 70C and above which is a difference compared to the ASUS TUF. Though when spinning the fans at 60% and running RDR2 bench the card stayed cool (around 64C in my case) and I assume it wasn't louder than the TUF. Backplate is indeed plastic and the card does sag noticeably but not more than my old 2080Ti. I've not tried the bracket but I imagine it won't help. I do have an anti-sag thing that came with my Phanteks D500A case but it doesn't do anything.

Performance wise I personally thing that even though other coolers could potentially be better, it comes down to chip quality and, surprisingly enough, resolution. When running Firestrike Extreme the frequency is all over the place and has difficulty settling. Running a better fan profile does seem to help to avoid those low numbers and personally I think I got a pretty nice chip since the frequency mostly says north of 1950 MHz. I'm unfortunately CPU bound at 3440x1440 which shows when I'm running MSI AB OSD in the background - I notice increased CPU load in all games I've tried so far, even games like WoW that hardly had any CPU load before.

The card truly shines at 4K as many reviewers already said and I can finally play RDR2 at 4K & locked 60fps with optimized settings. CPU usage goes down at that resolution and GPU clocks are much more stable. I was looking at 1980MHz at stock settings which stayed that way with a slightly more aggressive fan profile.

When it comes to overclocking I added +50 to the core @60% fanspeed just to see what happened and I did complete both runs and during that time I did see the core reaching 2070MHz for short moments which was cool. I don't think that OCing helps much in the games I play anyway.

Coil whine is a slight problem for me though - not too satisfied with that, on the other hand I've not had a card that doesn't have coil whine.

All in all I'd say it was worth it, especially if I manage to sell my card and also had a gift voucher from earlier so the card only really cost me like €200 which of course is nice. We'll see what the future holds (RDNA2, 20GB cards, 3080Ti?) but for now I'm happy.

Didn't bother with benchmarking but did a small one anyway :)
    Firestrike Extreme 2080Ti
    Undervolt : 17160
    1995MHz OC, Fan 60% : 17544
    Stock : 16435

RDR2 2080Ti (3440x1440)
    Undervolt : 82
    1995MHz OC, Fan 60% : 82
    Stock : 79

Firestrike Extreme 3080
    Undervolt :
    +50 Core, Fan 60% : 21708
    Stock : 21119

RDR2 3080 (3440x1440)
    Undervolt :
    +50 Core, Fan 60% : 113
    Stock :111

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    pharma, DannyD, -Tj- and 5 others like this.
  8. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Am in the 8% as it stands waiting on 3070's. Are they doing the super thing again? oops change to 11% or how about in between 3070 and a 3070 super haha. Just saw there will be super versions.

9. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Probably throwing my self on the fire, but considering how nvidia behaves and their past.. Just speculating.
    Has nvidia "rebranded" Ti models (considering chip quality, how much its cut vs full die) to 90 series, or im the only one who feels that. Its not a titan, its a "titan performing" card that when looking history has the chip quality you got for paying the extra cash? Its like it went down hill when Titan brand was created, and competition and what we consumers went for. Every new generation you end up paying more for less, for example. Ampere Ti is downgraded (more cut down) vs older ti card like pascal or turing?
    I dont know how the numbers of a full blown ampere chip. But it feels like 90 series purpose is to downgrade or we pay more for less. Its not a titan, not a ti, it cost what you expect ampere titan would cost looking at turing and chip dosent seem to be bad vs a full die.

10. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Waiting for 20gb or TI or AMD. 3080 vanilla does not impress me much compared to what I've been using.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Did you try latency setting = on or ultra, by those games with increased cpu load and or when cpu bottlenecked?

Im now using only 4core/4thread cpu, thanks to my clumsiness and water damage my old 4770k, if I acted asap I could have saved at least cpu.. anyway Desitny2 now has ofcourse much higher cpu usage and few cpu bottleneck spots.
    Once I set latency from off to on, I got ~ 10% lower cpu usage and I wasn't getting those low gpu usage drops anymore, or very very rare.. Worth a try :)

Netherwind and jura11 like this.
  12. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    I literally been set getting RTX 3090 but after seeing news regarding the RTX 3080 with 20GB then I think I will be rather getting RTX 3080 with 20GB if price will be under £1k then I will get rather 20GB version but for now let's wait on RTX 3090 reviews in production or productivity benchmarks

10GB in my case won't cut it, 20GB will be just enough for me, although 24GB is just perfect

If you do any rendering or you use GPU for modelling etc then I would recommend or suggest wait on 16GB or 20GB version of RTX or AMD Big Navi, I used for while GTX1080 and wouldn't use them again because of VRAM, 8GB is just not enough

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

13. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
  14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    No, I've actually never that setting but I will, thanks! I didn't even know what it did until now :)

pharma and -Tj- like this.
  15. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    I wanted to buy a RTX3070 but I ended up with buying the RTX3080 just for the faster and extra memory on it. I belief they are being stingy on the memory this time but hey for me it's a good upgrade coming from a RTX 2070 that I bought for 625 euro got the RTX3080 for 729 euro so no complaining here :)

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    To anyone thinking about buying an MSI card, they luckily don't have that ugly "3S1" logo on them :)

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    You're welcome, post back if it helps by stronger cpu, curious myself :)

18. meatbagtaco

meatbagtaco Guest

GPU:
    2 x Geforce GTX 570 SC
    After the experience of not being able to even see the cards available 2 weeks in a row, I'll never buy anything from Nvidia again. Instead of making sure the cards got into the hands of real gamers, they put no protections in place against bots and now everyone has to wait. Seriously, screw Nvidia, i'll never buy anything from them again.

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You'll be giving up PC gaming should AMD have similar issues.
    Wise up.

20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    If you had any intention of buying one, I doubt this enough of a reason to change any ones mind.