Review: ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 TUF Gaming

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 17, 2020.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  2. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
  3. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
  4. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    It is reported elsewhere that this card has 2 bios, performance & silence. You should (if you have the time) complete the review with the other bios.
    It is roughly matching the MSI with the silent bios from what i understood.

5. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Thanks,. then the price is about $50 more for the Asus TUF OC version . Based on all reviews I've read it's definitely worth it - high build quality, quiet and very performant.

Edit: Even the non OC base Asus TUF version performs very well in reviews. Low temps, quiet and performance above the Founders Edition at the same MSRP.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  6. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Cheapest here is about 100 EUR more expensive than FE and Strix seems to be priced 230 Eur higher which is definetly not worth it.
    I will go with FE, if I can get it.

7. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    This card is the cheapest I have seen in my country so far. Very very tempted to just buy one. Unfortunately none in stock though from any of the usual places.

HARDRESET likes this.
  8. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    I've been an EVGA guy for years and years now, but it looks like this ASUS will be my next gpu. The two hdmi sold me, I can continue to use both of my current monitors a while longer. That will give me more time to find the right new ultra widescreen monitor at the right price.

9. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I just bought the non-OC version of this card here in the UK for £700: https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/TUF-RTX3080-10G-GAMING/overview/

It was £50 more than I bargained for as prices went up, but I feel that prices will not be going down anytime soon and may in fact increase. I also think the 3070 is not gonna be the good value option either as the 3080 has 50% more cores but is not 50% more expensive, so I figured I'd jump on the 3080 from the get-go. I've bought it on pre-order, and have not much idea when I'll receive the product, I'm imagining Oct/Nov, but I wanted to get my preorder in because I think prices will rather go up rather than down, and the earlier you order it then the sooner you receive it.

With me buying the non-OC version of this reviewed product, it's got the same cooling system so I'm assuming that if I max out the overclock power slider then it'll be freed up to the same max power limits that the OC card would when that's maxed out too. Perhaps there is some silicon binning between the OC version and the non-OC version but I don't think it'll be significant.....I'm more concerned in knowing for sure that the max power limits when moving the Power Slider to max is gonna be the same ultimate wattage allowed....I think it will be though.

This card I bought is one of the cheaper ones listed here in the UK which I was surprised about given the cooling capabilities.

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn I have two questions:

How were the temps and acoustics with the BIOS set to Quite Mode? How are temps/acoustics compared to MSIs temps/acoustics?

Thank you in advance!

11. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    BH Photo is showing Jan 1, 2100 availability for the TUF cards. I hope this doesn’t mean they have an unrealistic backlog of orders to fill.

edit: They told me today 10/28 and someone else on reddit 11/2 so here’s hoping.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  12. Legacy-ZA

Legacy-ZA Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070Ti TUF
    Hilbert, not sure if this has been requested, but can we please also have the temps / FLIR images and acoustic levels for the "quiet" BIOS setting?

Thank you. :)