Review: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVMe SSD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Samsung has released its first-ever PCIe Gen 4.0 NVMe SSD, meet the 980 PRO that is advertised at blistering performance running towards 7 GB/sec. based on 3-bit per cell writes will Samsung be able t...

Review: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVMe SSD

Noisiv, tived, nizzen and 1 other person like this.
  2. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Thanks!, looking for 1tb gen4 in couple weeks.
    Bloody hell it's hot.

3. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Performance is looking good, although the drive is really heating up.

I wish they would release a 4TB EVO drive to complement this set though, so that I can move almost all my storage to NVMe drives.

I wonder how the heat was measured here. No heatsink as it says, but was that in a case? On a bench? With airflow? Or not? In the typical slot under a big GPU?

4. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    To be fair most modern gaming mobos have a nvme heatsink, personally i'm looking for something as a secondary drive and for me that's located on backside of mobo with no heatsink.(my primary has a huge heatsink that would work but it would mean a reinstall so screw that).
    I've seen many nice ones with good heatsink pre-installed, like corsair MP600.

5. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    TLC being used is quite a shame. Ruins the reason of this 'pro' model. This should be the Evo. Makes me worry the evo model will have qlc in it.

But boy does this run hot, though I might put this in the ps5 but bit worries with it running that hot

6. svliegen

svliegen Guest

GPU:
    RX580 AMD
    My 2 cents:

Performance without reliability and endurance is useless for serious professional use.
    They should have labeled this one '980 turbo' or '980 performance' rather than '980 pro'.

On a side note:

It would be nice if there were units on *all* charts and how to interpret the scores (e.g. power consumption in watt - lower is better).

7. dragonlord

dragonlord Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Beta Tester
    Just a typo to fix... "there will be three models with a fourth model pending later release (2GB)"

This should be 2 TB, not 2 GB. :)

8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It should be shipped with a large heat sink with temps like that, such as the one Gammix S70 sports.

toyo likes this.
  9. rsouzadk

rsouzadk Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra
    I am definitely not impressed.

10. Drazen

Drazen Member

GPU:
    GTX 2060
    You should compare it to 970 Pro 1TB. 970 Pro 512 is slower cause it has less FLASH chips.

These are prices:
    970 Pro 1TB - 299 Eur
    980 Pro 1TB - 225 Eur
    Definitely Samsung is aware 970 is more Pro then 980.

11. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Just seen the 970 is £327, and this is £221, so a good £100 cheaper.

I then had a look at how much I have used on my drives, 22TB. 12TB and 16TB. this is over 3 years, With my main using about 7TB a year meaning this drive in theory if I reach the 600 TBW would last be 85 years :D

Maybe I was a little quick to worry about the MLC being used, still the fact they have charged us closer to EVO prices is quite a good thing I must say. Unless you are writing a ton of data you should be good to go on this

12. Lily GFX

Lily GFX Member Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3090 Xtreme
    Thank you for the review^^

I have a Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe and I am really happy with it^^
    I think I will wait for a 2TB with similar spec as I have when it gets cheaper for next buy,
    since I rather have lower temps and more storage space at this point.

I hope these new PCIE4 gen NVMe will push prices down on the PCIE3 gen ones :>

13. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Thank you for the review!

Finally one m.2 ssd that's actual faster in 4k random read @QD=1 over Adata sx8200pro.

Hoping Adata Sage showing up in a review soon too!

14. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Not impressed. TLC on Pro? Why? It's fine for home, I use a 970 Evo at home, even the SATA TLC drives are great for this usage case. But the Pro drives used to be for hardcore writing at rather stable speeds. I'm sure the SLC cache will hold for most use cases, but the endurance will go down, not just the speeds. Is it a big issue? I don't know. Samsung seems to err on the safety side when they rate their drives, which have been observed to reach 7PBW figures for 250GB drives before dying. Yet I would expect that endurance is higher than my 970 Evo+, and it's not.
    And the 80C temps, dear lord. This is why I put a heatsink on my 970, it would just jump to 80-90C on the controller, the NAND was fine, and throttling occurred on all benchmarks or heavy loads. To make things worse, it would also heat up further if I ran stuff on the GPU.
    I don't get why they didn't make this a 980 Evo and then release the proper MLC Pro drive. I'm sure Samsung has their reasons, and maybe a real enthusiast drive in store, but this ain't it.

Edit: dear lord they will make the Evo QLC - I assume.

15. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    After ADATA GAMMIX S70 this SDD seems a entry level product not a Pro. The price is nice but the speeds...
    I just hope Guru3d will get his hand on GAMMIX S70 for a test.

16. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Yeah.. not all that compelling, especially for those that have been waiting a full year for these "proper" gen4 nvme's.
    Things are looking better and better for that new phison controller, and i doubt samsung have a 980 pro plus in the bag to fight off the competition and maintain their exorbitant pricing approach.

17. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    durability was the point of PRO versions what did they do ?
    this coming from someone with an all SSD computer
    cough :confused: shouldn't have checked what my file transfer drive is like :eek:
    samsung 860 evo TLC
    health status 91%
    7516 hours (313 days)
    total host writes 97'599Gbs o_O (311Gbs/day)
    omg lol well I had to move lots of files back and forth after a server crash and computer change so it "took one for the team"

needless to say QLC drives are a giant no for me especially at the price they are right now
    QLC = consumable drive

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  18. Nicked_Wicked

Nicked_Wicked Master Guru

GPU:
    6900XT
    If the 2TB version is around €400 I’ll certainly pick one up.

19. AStaUK

AStaUK Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti
    Think I'll stick with my two 970 Evo Plus's and use the money I had set aside for a 3080/3090.

20. AStaUK

AStaUK Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti
    Up on one UK site for £440, but not due in until 15th Dec.